Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums

Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums (http://productforum.autorepairdata.com/forum/index.php)
-   Verus User Forum (http://productforum.autorepairdata.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   NEW VERUS (http://productforum.autorepairdata.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12414)

jm43130 08-16-2017 08:40 AM

NEW VERUS

Any leaked news on new Verus supposed to be announced by end of mouth? Heard it might have J2534 capabilities. Also heard it would fit into Verus Edge work station.

Witsend 08-16-2017 04:28 PM

If someone like Jay Leno or Orange County Chopper Junior can afford it and gives it a thumbs up on a Slick Promotional video and tells you to buy one, but the DJ that grabbed Taylor Swifts @ss recommends that you should take a pass.What would you do?:D

Jay G. 08-17-2017 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jm43130 (Post 57787)
Any leaked news on new Verus supposed to be announced by end of mouth? Heard it might have J2534 capabilities. Also heard it would fit into Verus Edge work station.

It will not have J2534 capabilities.

It will fit into the Verus Edge work station.

Witsend 08-18-2017 08:39 AM

When and What comes after The Edge? Should we cover our:D eyes expecting This Fall?:D;)

Jay G. 08-18-2017 09:26 AM

You are going to have to wait and see

Witsend 08-18-2017 10:30 AM

Hmmm , it's only been 2 years since the Verus Edge which is powerful, small, light, and Portable ,So I figure its got to be something shop mounted with a large 48" screen display scale akin to a modern day Counselor XL or Sun Scope, with all the extended leads , amp probes Etc that work off the existing Verus Edge and a modified Version of the docking station, on a rolling Diagnostic station, that has a built in smoke machine. Maybe Verus Edge might even offer a feature of a heads up display to project the Verus screen to the lower center of Windshield for driving at night with adjustable brightness or day driving transparent Google Glass type technology built in to special safety Goggles and built in, no bend over WIFI TPMS exciter like an extendable blind man cane for use with the tool.:confused:

Jay G. 08-18-2017 01:37 PM

I cannot confirm nor deny any such features without the approval of the CEO of Snap-on Diagnostics :D

kirkbarrow.garage 08-18-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay G. (Post 57812)
I cannot confirm nor deny any such features without the approval of the CEO of Snap-on Diagnostics :D

Well, that is not a lot of use then is it 🤷*♀️🤷*♀️🤷*♀️

Wheel 08-21-2017 08:08 AM

A new Verus already? My predictions:

1.Verus pro and Verdict will no longer be supported after 18.2

2. the new Verus will have the same "new and improved" scope the Modis ultra/edge and vantage ultra have - 2 or 4 channels, maybe but minus the
dedicated ignition features and the built in transducer/rpm port and other features WILL be missing.

3. possibly missing at least one of the usb ports and/or the micro sd card port

4. bios WILL be password locked ( which should be illegal. it's like selling someone a house, but locking them out of their utility room)

5. hard drive permanently attached to motherboard so it can't be changed or upgraded

I don't know why a new Verus - hardwarewise, the edge is pretty good.
I would have suggested a much larger hard drive, possibly accessible from outside without unit disassembly, a return of the directional navigation keys that the pro had, and possibly a MORE capable scope with ADDED features.

The biggest bone I have to pick with the Verus series is the features they took away with 10.4 and never returned - and that's SOFTWARE !!!

Let's see how well I predicted.:D:D:D

Witsend 08-21-2017 09:45 AM

Hmmm, Maybe it's a Concoction of an External 1 TB harddrive inside a Snap On Symantic Anti Verus Modem that loads only the software of the car you are working on into a re-badged Maxi-Dasch tablet.:eek:

Wheel 08-21-2017 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheel (Post 57821)
A new Verus already? My predictions:

1.Verus pro and Verdict will no longer be supported after 18.2

2. the new Verus will have the same "new and improved" scope the Modis ultra/edge and vantage ultra have - 2 or 4 channels, maybe but minus the
dedicated ignition features and the built in transducer/rpm port and other features WILL be missing.

4. bios WILL be password locked ( which should be illegal. it's like selling someone a house, but locking them out of their utility room)

5. hard drive permanently attached to motherboard so it can't be changed or upgraded

I don't know why a new Verus - hardwarewise, the edge is pretty good.
I would have suggested a much larger hard drive, possibly accessible from outside without unit disassembly, a return of the directional navigation keys that the pro had, and possibly a MORE capable scope with ADDED features.

The biggest bone I have to pick with the Verus series is the features they took away with 10.4 and never returned - and that's SOFTWARE !!!

Let's see how well I predicted.:D:D:D

If my prediction (#1) is true, do you really trust them enough to buy another expensive high end tool that is only supported for too brief a time?

SnapOnKid 08-21-2017 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheel (Post 57825)
If my prediction (#1) is true, do you really trust them enough to buy another expensive high end tool that is only supported for too brief a time?

I just bought a gen 4 recently to replace my gen2 so if that were true, then No I would not!!!

And While I like the new one, I dont have the time to log the issues with the current software bugs I have found.

Like the Auto ID feature Identifying the wrong engine on cross over year vehicles even though the 8th digit of the vin identifies the engine and is different between the early and later model of that year...

Or the default data groups when you go into a specific function that have to be reselected...

Or certain makes setting off dash service lights when you connect and link to a vehicle. So you are unsure if it cleared the code until you actually disconnect from the vehicle.

Steve6911 08-21-2017 11:45 AM

https://www.facebook.com/SnaponTools...5660772698288/

SnapOnKid 08-21-2017 11:59 AM

Tool looks very similar.

All new software???

Steve6911 08-21-2017 12:09 PM

Won't know till its released

Wheel 08-21-2017 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay G. (Post 57799)
It will not have J2534 capabilities.

It will fit into the Verus Edge work station.

at least that is some slightly useful info.
Can you tell us when they plan to announce it & offer it for sale?
Windows 7 or something else?

Steve6911 08-21-2017 12:41 PM

Sorry I don't have any details on this unit. Saw the video on Snap-on's FB page so I posted the link into these posts.

Wheel 08-22-2017 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve6911 (Post 57832)
Sorry I don't have any details on this unit. Saw the video on Snap-on's FB page so I posted the link into these posts.

I do appreciate the link, especially since I don't do facebook.

I did learn a bit by studying and pausing the tell nothing video:

I probably don't have to worry about these 2 predictions...Yet:

It's called the Zeus

no directional navigation keys like the pro had as I had hoped for

There looks to be some helpful user friendly ideas in its software.

Externally, it looks pretty much the same as the Verus edge with different colors.

The main questions Snap On will have to answer is:

What will it do that the Verus Edge can't?
How is it better than the Edge?
if it is better, is it enough better to justify its being?
Will there be generous trade allowances / incentives for those with older machines?
How long will it be supported ???

SnapOnKid 08-22-2017 03:33 PM

Wheel, when I traded my Gen 2 in for the Gen 4 it was a $1000 credit towards purchase of the new Equipment...

Wheel 08-23-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnapOnKid (Post 57864)
Wheel, when I traded my Gen 2 in for the Gen 4 it was a $1000 credit towards purchase of the new Equipment...

not much incentive there. Kinda like buying a new car - the value drops by 50%
as soon as your name hits the contract irregardless if the unit is even unpackaged or not.

ToltecasChavez 08-23-2017 12:31 PM

Traded in my 2 year old verus for the zeus. Comes with 3 year warranty and 3 years of updates. Not bad

Wheel 08-23-2017 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToltecasChavez (Post 57875)
Traded in my 2 year old verus for the zeus. Comes with 3 year warranty and 3 years of updates. Not bad

You already have one? What do you think about it compared to the Edge if you've used one?
How is the price compared to an edge?

ToltecasChavez 08-23-2017 02:16 PM

Just got it today about 2 hours ago. I haven't used it yet because I'm letting it charge till tomorrow. Price wise, it was more expensive than my verus edge. But it's a lot faster, now it connects you directly to shopkey, no more putting in credentials. And snap on guy said that it has to have internet all the time so this can be done. Big and small updates are done either automatically or I can choose which ones I want to install. The tool is as big as the edge and weights about the same. Still have windows 7 in it like the edge. The interface is what really changed. Plus the connector that goes into the car is the size of a credit card, but thicker. Something that I will def loose. xD

Wheel 08-23-2017 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToltecasChavez (Post 57881)
Just got it today about 2 hours ago. I haven't used it yet because I'm letting it charge till tomorrow.

Price wise, it was more expensive than my verus edge.

Quite a bit more? Worth it? (one may not be able to answer the 2nd question for a while.)

But it's a lot faster,

probably faster processor, memory and I hope a much larger hard drive.

now it connects you directly to shopkey, no more putting in credentials. And snap on guy said that it has to have internet all the time so this can be done.

Hmm - I wonder if they intend to make Shopkey a part of the bargain. Being hooked up to the internet all the time might be a problem if one has to go into or lives in the boonies, or has wifi isues.

Big and small updates are done either automatically or I can choose which ones I want to install.

This sounds like they are following Launch and Autel's example. Nice to have the choice, but I usually install them all - just in case.Next question is do you keep the software you buy, or will it be like the OE stuff & time out, and does it support obd1 vehicles still?

The tool is as big as the edge and weights about the same. Still have windows 7 in it like the edge.

32 or 64 bit?

The interface is what really changed.

Now this is the part I am most interested in - did they really improve things or will it be another 10.4 train wreck, or a little of both? Right here more than anything else is where the rubber meets the road on if it's worth it or not. And will this be exclusive to the Zeus, or be available in 17.4 to the older units?

Plus the connector that goes into the car is the size of a credit card, but thicker. Something that I will def loose. xD

Yeah, just like the Launch one - love that small connector, but it's sure easier to lose or forget.

A lotta questions for someone to answer - I just need to see one in my hands
to see what they've done, and if any of my concerns have been addressed.
I'd give it a fair chance.:D

ToltecasChavez 08-24-2017 07:23 AM

Intel Celeron N2930 @ 1.83GHz
2GB Of RAM
32 Bit
Windows 7 Embedded
Service Pack 1

SnapOnKid 08-24-2017 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToltecasChavez (Post 57881)
Just got it today about 2 hours ago. I haven't used it yet because I'm letting it charge till tomorrow. Price wise, it was more expensive than my verus edge. But it's a lot faster, now it connects you directly to shopkey, no more putting in credentials. And snap on guy said that it has to have internet all the time so this can be done. Big and small updates are done either automatically or I can choose which ones I want to install. The tool is as big as the edge and weights about the same. Still have windows 7 in it like the edge. The interface is what really changed. Plus the connector that goes into the car is the size of a credit card, but thicker. Something that I will def loose. xD

More expensive than the edge... like how much more???
Dare we ask what you got for a trade in value???

Witsend 08-24-2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

Intel Celeron N2930 @ 1.83GHz
2GB Of RAM
32 Bit
Windows 7 Embedded
Service Pack 1
I thought I had a Celeron processor in an old Desktop that Pre dated the Pentium in another old Desktop , that Pre dated the I3 that is in my 3 year old Toshiba, that Predates, the I-5 and I-7 that is common now. Why a Celeron ?:confused:

sbreland73 08-24-2017 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Witsend (Post 57901)
I thought I had a Celeron processor in an old Desktop that Pre dated the Pentium in another old Desktop , that Pre dated the I3 that is in my 3 year old Toshiba, that Predates, the I-5 and I-7 that is common now. Why a Celeron ?:confused:

The naming conventions Intel uses states nothing of the age of a processor, but of the class. Celerons use a much lower Thermal Design Power,
which of course consumes less electricity and in turn, produces less heat.
Celeron and Pentium processors will be around for years to come, the "I"
in the new line of processors is to indicate that it has on-board integrated graphics capabilities.

kirkbarrow.garage 08-24-2017 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbreland73 (Post 57903)
The naming conventions Intel uses states nothing of the age of a processor, but of the class. Celerons use a much lower Thermal Design Power,
which of course consumes less electricity and in turn, produces less heat.
Celeron and Pentium processors will be around for years to come, the "I"
in the new line of processors is to indicate that it has on-board integrated graphics capabilities.

This is remembering also that a pentium style cpu has the ' full ' range of executable instruction coding and the celeron has a " reduced " executable instruction coding set resulting in lower potential and actual performance from a celeron compared to a pentium cpu too 🙀🙀🙀🙀

Witsend 08-24-2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

This is remembering also that a pentium style cpu has the ' full ' range of executable instruction coding and the celeron has a " reduced " executable instruction coding set resulting in lower potential and actual performance from a celeron compared to a pentium cpu too ��������
Today 02:55 PM
I think Zeus is the God of Lightening so if the built in mic detects you talkin Sh@t about Snap On, that executable instruction becomes Electrocutable instruction when you work on a Hybrid or an Electric Car:D

str53 08-25-2017 07:14 AM

Zeus

Just got mine yesterday, haven't had time to really get into it, If you want to take advantage of all of the improvements, you will definitely need Wi-Fi or a hotspot to take advantage of the links to sure track or intelligent diagnostics. It comes with 17.4, 3yr warranty, 3yr updates, that alone is worth a lot of $$$$$

timstech 08-25-2017 07:32 AM

This has been in beta testing for over a year now,bugs all worked out hopefully I have seen this tool it is a little quicker on the uptake than my Edge. My big question is this "live data" where and how is it compiled,what sources are they all proven results
Not sold yet

Witsend 08-25-2017 07:47 AM

If you work mainly on cars that are 3 years or older, and the present software , is good for everything up to 2017 without a lot of holes , and no major make of car software is in the Proverbial Sh@tter waiting for update repairs, you really could get by with the just the one year of updates and opt to just replace the damn Hong Won Quin or SingUrPoor assembled thing 4 years down the road. Be nice if you could use it for 2 years with the 17.4 then activate the 3 years of updates:D

Wheel 08-25-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by str53 (Post 57911)
Just got mine yesterday, haven't had time to really get into it, If you want to take advantage of all of the improvements, you will definitely need Wi-Fi or a hotspot to take advantage of the links to sure track or intelligent diagnostics. It comes with 17.4, 3yr warranty, 3yr updates, that alone is worth a lot of $$$$$

Does it still have troubleshooter ON the tool, or has that gone the internet route also?

timstech 08-25-2017 12:02 PM

Yes all the same desktop functions are there,the background has changed to a grey screen with black highlighted icons, still win7

str53 08-28-2017 08:03 AM

Zeus

Trouble shooter is still there, still uses Microsoft security. Loads a little faster, when you click on a code and your on the internet everything related to that code comes up:)

Tech_A 08-28-2017 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timstech (Post 57912)
This has been in beta testing for over a year now,bugs all worked out hopefully I have seen this tool it is a little quicker on the uptake than my Edge. My big question is this "live data" where and how is it compiled,what sources are they all proven results
Not sold yet

What specifically about live data? If you are referring to live data PID's, they have been enhanced to accommodate for the related trouble code, preset triggers and preset data list. Similar to how guided component tests are preset, but for scanner data.

timstech 08-28-2017 09:14 AM

In all fairness to this tool I need to spend more time with it. The enhanced pids and preset triggers are derived by what or who and by what means,historical pattern failures or google or some higher power. If a failure falls outside of said
PIDS or presets as most do,how would I know,am I missing something

Wheel 08-28-2017 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timstech (Post 57950)
In all fairness to this tool I need to spend more time with it. The enhanced pids and preset triggers are derived by what or who and by what means,historical pattern failures or google or some higher power. If a failure falls outside of said
PIDS or presets as most do,how would I know,am I missing something

Hopefully some flexibility has been or soon will be built in.
I hope you're not stuck with what they give you.What works fine for one will not necessarily work for another requiring flexibility.

That's why I have such a hatred of the preassembled data groups and would rather assemble my own. Some of Snap On's competition is a lot better about this making them the first grab in certain situations as opposed to the Snap On.

Hopefully this new software takes you to the corresponding area of troubleshooter pertaining to the code set. If not, this should be a priority. By not linking this long ago it shows to me how they greatly underestimate the value of the on board troubleshooter.

Witsend 08-28-2017 10:28 AM

Quote:

Does it still have troubleshooter ON the tool, or has that gone the internet route also?
I'm thinking The Sure Trak troubleshooter and guided diagnostic end of the software is now going to being mainly internet accessed and be dependent on having a current update. Why do you think Snappy has been removing update support for all their older platforms that either don't have WIFI or limited marginal hardware to deal with multitasking and be able to pull the information off the site you are trying to pull information without it bogging down,freezing, or getting punted off the web site because the web page timed out.I predict the Verdict , Solus/ Modis Ultra are next to loose update support, and what remains of the built in trouble shooter will then be internet accessed
Once your current update period is expired, no more Fast Trak or Sure Trak Trouble shooter that was once built in. It just kinda turn thing into a short legged pooch, somewhat more reliable than a Maxi Dasch , maybe a Mega Basset?;) You'll have to buy tokens to display time of day.