Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jandwauto
    • Nov 2008

Verus Stay Away

Another Half Baked Balco/snapon Tool. If You Really Want To Waste Some Money Then Buy An Otc Pegasus. It Isnt Much Better Then The Verus But At Least Its Half The Price.
  • sdlindsey
    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by jandwauto
    Another Half Baked Balco/snapon Tool. If You Really Want To Waste Some Money Then Buy An Otc Pegasus. It Isnt Much Better Then The Verus But At Least Its Half The Price.
    So you are quite clearly unhappy with the Verus product. This is evidenced by multiple postings across multiple forums.

What are you having trouble with? Can you be specific about your troubles? I understand you are having trouble with Tech Support, but what are your root concerns?

Perhaps someone here can help you with that, perhaps there is an update, perhaps it is an issue with just learning the tool.

Comment

• schrator
      • Dec 2008

PERHAPS! he can sell his VERUS to someone who knows how to use it and go back to using his code reader. Please don't fill this forum with childish comments. If you have an issue, let's discuss it. Telling a bunch of people who own VERUS not to buy one is pretty retarded.

JandWauto stay away.

@#$*!!!

Comment

• canfix auto
        • Oct 2008

I agree, tell us what your issue is

Originally posted by schrator
        PERHAPS! he can sell his VERUS to someone who knows how to use it and go back to using his code reader. Please don't fill this forum with childish comments. If you have an issue, let's discuss it. Telling a bunch of people who own VERUS not to buy one is pretty retarded.

JandWauto stay away.

@#$*!!!
        No scanner is perfect, but I like mine. If you have an issue post it, don't just go off half cocked bitching about something, unless you tell us why! this thread is a waste band width without explanation.

Comment

• jandwauto
          • Nov 2008

response to schrator

Originally posted by schrator

JandWauto stay away.

@#$*!!!
          you ASSUME i dont know how the tool is supposed to work or know how to use it. you know what happens when YOU ***-U-ME? owned a modis that i traded in and can work either tool very well. maybe they still use code readers where you come from, as you sound familiar with them. just trying to get some attention to the problems with the verus as tech support is non existent. would be happy to discuss the problems in detail with someone intelligent. noticed that the snapon customer care are quick to say how everyone should own at least one but no response or resolve to the issues. please schrator,dont reply if cant give intelligent info. thanks.

Comment

• jandwauto
            • Nov 2008

windows xp issues

Originally posted by sdlindsey
            So you are quite clearly unhappy with the Verus product. This is evidenced by multiple postings across multiple forums.

What are you having trouble with? Can you be specific about your troubles? I understand you are having trouble with Tech Support, but what are your root concerns?

Perhaps someone here can help you with that, perhaps there is an update, perhaps it is an issue with just learning the tool.
            would like to know where i can get help or info on issues with the windows xp operating system such as,windows will not save any passwords,cant update windows os as we are locked out.was told by tech support to call microsoft,but the operating system is a stripped down version of xp and windows does not offer support, and they charge for that support.other issues range from keyboard disappearing, unit locks up-requiring reboot,screen clarity not very good with internet explorer,lan card has very poor range. verus diagnostic suite locks up and requires reboot,continually trys to communicate with vehicle and abort does not work. these are just some of the issues. thank you for your time in this matter, and i apoligize if i offended any one with my multiple posts that may have disrupted the forums.
            thank you, john.

Comment

• Snafu
              • Nov 2008

If you are have that much trouble with your verus then if I were you I would send it back. I would try another one and if it is still as bad as the first then I would want my modis back. That is about all a guy can do.

After saying that, I have to say that I do not have the issues that you seem to be having and hopefully will not have them.

Comment

• jandwauto
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Snafu
                If you are have that much trouble with your verus then if I were you I would send it back. I would try another one and if it is still as bad as the first then I would want my modis back. That is about all a guy can do.

After saying that, I have to say that I do not have the issues that you seem to be having and hopefully will not have them.
                when you use your e-mail program,outlook express and you set up an email account does it retain the password after you close and reopen the e-mail program or reboot?

Comment

• sdlindsey
                  • Mar 2008

would like to know where i can get help or info on issues with the windows xp operating system such as,windows will not save any passwords,cant update windows os as we are locked out.was told by tech support to call microsoft,but the operating system is a stripped down version of xp and windows does not offer support, and they charge for that support.other issues range from keyboard disappearing, unit locks up-requiring reboot,screen clarity not very good with internet explorer,lan card has very poor range. verus diagnostic suite locks up and requires reboot,continually trys to communicate with vehicle and abort does not work. these are just some of the issues. thank you for your time in this matter, and i apoligize if i offended any one with my multiple posts that may have disrupted the forums.
                  thank you, john.
                  Let's separate your problems into two categories:

#1 - Problems you have with the basic structure of Windows XP, problems you have using Windows XP, and problems you have with Windows XP support:

These problems, I would think, aren't the responsibility of Snap On. Frustrating as that may be, that is the truth of the matter. There are a variety of products designed for teaching someone to make use of Windows XP. You might try exploring that. If you are web savvy, you can probably search for some forums that might help you with using and/or configuring the version of Windows XP that runs on the Verus. Remember that if you choose to do other things than utilize the Verus Diagnostic Suite that you may be exiting the realm of Snap On's intended use -- and those uses are probably not supported, officially. Yes, the Verus is a powerful tool with the potential for lots of other related uses -- but that doesn't necessarily mean Snap On intended that, or is willing to support that.

#2 - Problems you may be experiencing with the actual Verus hardware and the actual Snap On produced Verus software.

These, I would think, are legitimate problems to pursue. If you do a little searching in this forum you may be surprised to find that some of the problems you have brought up have been discussed. In some cases, unfortunately, there aren't any fixes yet. In some cases, however, there are. For example: The font clarity issue has been brought up and there are some work arounds.

As for the keyboard disappearing I have actually heard this mentioned before but I don't know if a resolution was found.

The unit locking up may or may not be a problem with your specific unit. The problem may be attributed to early versions of the software. Do you have the service pack installed, by the way? If not, look through this forum and you may find it. Even my Modis, which is updated and is the latest board, occasionally locks up. Perhaps that is unacceptable to some, but it is a fact of life with hardware and software.

If you are having trouble with communication, feel free to mention it in this forum -- but provide VIN and vehicle information. This way the right people can attempt to address these issues.

I can appreciate your frustration, but if I may offer some advice: Your original messages won't really illicit a positive response. If you post your problems in a calm and level headed manner, then you are more likely to get useful responses. I'm not sure that is exactly what you were looking for at the time of your original post -- it did seem like angry venting to me.

This is a new tool. I know it is expensive. If you originally got a Modis, right off the bat, then none of these growing pains should be a surprise.

Comment

• MasterWrench
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by sdlindsey
                    Let's separate your problems into two categories:

#1 - Problems you have with the basic structure of Windows XP, problems you have using Windows XP, and problems you have with Windows XP support:

These problems, I would think, aren't the responsibility of Snap On. Frustrating as that may be, that is the truth of the matter. There are a variety of products designed for teaching someone to make use of Windows XP. You might try exploring that. If you are web savvy, you can probably search for some forums that might help you with using and/or configuring the version of Windows XP that runs on the Verus. Remember that if you choose to do other things than utilize the Verus Diagnostic Suite that you may be exiting the realm of Snap On's intended use -- and those uses are probably not supported, officially. Yes, the Verus is a powerful tool with the potential for lots of other related uses -- but that doesn't necessarily mean Snap On intended that, or is willing to support that.
                    I would strongly disagree with this. If Snap-On hacks apart Windows to the point where it does not upgrade or is not functioning properly, it IS their problem. Not being able to do the numerous updates to Windows XP that have come out for security and other reasons is reason enough that I will never buy one until they get a complete version of Windows XP on that machine and just that part of it works completely, let alone the VERUS side of it.......
                    MasterWrench

Comment

• sdlindsey
                      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by MasterWrench
                      I would strongly disagree with this. If Snap-On hacks apart Windows to the point where it does not upgrade or is not functioning properly, it IS their problem. Not being able to do the numerous updates to Windows XP that have come out for security and other reasons is reason enough that I will never buy one until they get a complete version of Windows XP on that machine and just that part of it works completely, let alone the VERUS side of it.......
                      I understand what you are saying. I do find the mentioned inability to update Windows to be troublesome, but I can understand why that is the case, as well. There is a risk in Microsoft making a change to Windows XP Tablet that could cripple Snap On's software, and that would be trouble. Now that we discuss it, I wonder: Does Microsoft even support updates for Windows XP Tablet? Given what I've read from Microsoft's website about XP Tablet and how it is to be used, I'd be surprised to find that they do any updates at all.

Has Snap On really hacked apart Windows XP Tablet here? I was under the impression that Snap On was using Windows XP Tablet. Honestly, I'm not informed enough or qualified to know the real answer to that question.

Let's also keep this on track with the original poster's thread: Are his problems related to Windows XP Tablet itself, or some functionality that Snap On has part in? Is he having trouble configuring/using Windows XP Tablet, or are his problems related to Snap On's software?

Comment

• MasterWrench
                        • Oct 2006

According to Microsoft support site for Windows XP Tablet it IS the device manufacturer that is to supply support:

Q1: Where do I get support for Windows XP Tablet PC Edition?

A1: If the version of Windows XP Tablet PC Edition that you are currently running was included with your hardware device or system, the manufacturer provides technical support and help for this software. Your computer manufacturer may have customized the installation with unique components, such as specific device drivers and optional settings. These components are intended to maximize the performance of the hardware. If you want technical help with Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, contact your computer manufacturer.

Q3: Can I use Windows Update with Windows XP Tablet PC Edition?

A3: Yes. Because Windows XP Tablet PC Edition is a superset of Windows XP Professional, updates are released and available on the Microsoft Windows Update Web site. This includes both Windows XP and Tablet PC Edition-specific updates.

If you notice problems after you install a Windows Update package, you can always remove a specific download. You can also use Device Driver Roll Back to remove a specific driver, or use System Restore to return all system and program settings back to their previous state.

Always install Critical Updates because they help protect your computer from known security vulnerabilities.

Hmmmm????
                        MasterWrench

Comment

• sdlindsey
                          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by MasterWrench
                          Hmmmm????
                          Fair enough.

So Snap On is responsible for the customization of the Verus' version of Windows XP Tablet, and then it seems like Snap On is also responsible for the inability to update.

This brings me back to my original point, however: Are the problems the original poster is experiencing related to Snap On's customization of Windows XP Tablet? Is the poster having trouble _using_ Windows XP Tablet, or is he griping about how the product is designed?

The one functional complaint he seems to have in regards to Windows XP Tablet is not being able to save passwords. Perhaps the original poster can elaborate on this?

Comment

• Snafu
                            • Nov 2008

when you use your e-mail program,outlook express and you set up an email account does it retain the password after you close and reopen the e-mail program or reboot?
                            Sorry I do not have outlook express on my verus, do not want to download any potential problems, When I want to check my e-mail I go to my office computer, if i was going to check my e-mail with my verus I would just go to my e-mail provider through windows explorer and check my account there.

Comment

• jandwauto
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Snafu
                              Sorry I do not have outlook express on my verus, do not want to download any potential problems, When I want to check my e-mail I go to my office computer, if i was going to check my e-mail with my verus I would just go to my e-mail provider through windows explorer and check my account there.
                              outlook express is in all the verus units as it is an integral part of windows, all versions since windows 3.1

Comment

Working...