Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Member General Discussion Forum > General Discussions > US Member User Group
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Snap-on Diagnostics Ethos Plus
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 12-13-2011, 10:22 PM

MasterWrench Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
Is it still possible to purchase the sun kit from snap-on or is it a ebay purchase? It would be a nice purchase as I have both the Verus and the counselor 2.

try this link

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/parts...group_id=14182
Old 12-14-2011, 07:12 AM

Snafu Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Thank you
Old 12-15-2011, 06:12 AM

dbarnes5654 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Will the flags work with the vantage pro? what connectors would be needed? We have the kit here in shop but the sun machine is down. I would really like to use it with my VP.

Don
Old 12-15-2011, 08:47 AM

Wheel Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes5654 View Post
Will the flags work with the vantage pro?

Yes !

what connectors would be needed? We have the kit here in shop but the sun machine is down. I would really like to use it with my VP.

Do you have the basic ignition kit for your Vantage pro? If so, it will work with that. You might find it handy to go to Radio Shack and get a RCA style
Y cable so you can use the flags or sticks on both banks of a v engine more easily.

Don
Try this
Old 12-16-2011, 05:57 AM

dbarnes5654 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

By basic do you mean the single ign pick up? That I have . Great idea about going to radio shack, I'll be going there tonite.

Thanks,
Don
Old 12-16-2011, 03:08 PM

Wheel Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes5654 View Post
By basic do you mean the single ign pick up? That I have . Great idea about going to radio shack, I'll be going there tonite.

Thanks,
Don
Yep !
Old 12-16-2011, 11:56 PM

CrazyFreak Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

I bought the stick and the flag for so long and I couldn't figure out how exactly it works. so on the flag if I use the y cable for the two set of flags, how do I know which one is #1 or #2 and so on? same with the stick?? Thanks
Old 12-19-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyFreak View Post
I bought the stick and the flag for so long and I couldn't figure out how exactly it works. so on the flag if I use the y cable for the two set of flags, how do I know which one is #1 or #2 and so on? same with the stick?? Thanks
You will need to synch these to a cylinder, such as #1 just as on a conventional ignition. The pick -ups do not care which cylinder they are on.
Someone correct me if I heard wrong, but I heard you could hook your rpm lead around the #1 primary coil or injector lead and it would still work. If not, you could synch it to one of these with a free channel on your scope.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Snap-on D&I

Rich Shepherd Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel View Post
You will need to synch these to a cylinder, such as #1 just as on a conventional ignition. The pick -ups do not care which cylinder they are on.
Someone correct me if I heard wrong, but I heard you could hook your rpm lead around the #1 primary coil or injector lead and it would still work. If not, you could synch it to one of these with a free channel on your scope.
If you connect the Modis/V Pro/Verus gray #1 RPM lead around all the primary wires at the #1 ignition coil, it may trigger the Ignition scope and display RPM. If that doesn't work try it around the wires individually. This connection isn't going to work for certain but it's usually worth trying if the wires can easily be accessed.

One of the reasons the Sun COP kit was developed for the old testers is that some of them wouldn't trigger the scope if the Cyl #1 trigger pickup was connected to the coil primary wires (No secondary wire used on Many COP).
The adapter box would generate a signal on it's loop which the tester trigger lead could detect when connected to it.

Another reason was the old testers required a secondary signal of specific levels to work. That wasn't a problem when a pickup could be connected to the coil wire or if a pickup could be made for coil in cap distributors that provided the expected signal level.

With COPs If the secondary signal was too weak as often the case, the tester wouldn't see it.
if the signal was too strong, the tester would mistrigger.

The combination of the adapter box with an adjustable signal level and the generic pickups with high and low sides allowed the testers to work on many COP systems just like they did with the old distributor systems.

Modis/ V Pro/ Verus were designed to use the same pickups as found in the Sun kit but didn't need the adapter box. The trigger could often be connected to the coil primary wires and the secondary threshold in the ignition scope could be set lower to allow the scope to work with much lower secondary signal levels. If the secondary signal level is lower, you select a lower kv scale (down to 2kv) and lower the secondary threshold. The end result is the same in that you can display a usable ignition pattern on many COP systems.

Modis/ V Pro/ Verus can also use the coil specific Vantage COP pickups.
They can be connected to the single kv lead one at a time or daisy chained together with a bunch of inexpensive RCA Y adapter cables from the local electronics store.
The nice thing about the coil specific Vantage COP pickups is they typically fit a coil in a specific way and provide a consistent signal level.
If you often see a particular vehicle that can use one of the Vantage pickups, you can daisy chain 6 together on an engine like the Chrysler 2.7L/3.2L/3.5Ls and look at all at once. Of course this would only be practical on an application you see often and a Vantage coil specific COP is available.

The signal level when using the generic pickups is dependent on the specific position of the pickups to the coils so you have to be careful that each one is in the same position on each coil or the signal level will be different on each one making it hard to diagnose with. This is a disadvantage of using the generic pickups, but on the other hand, they are more flexible as they can be used on many applications, not just a specific one.

There is a Vantage COP11 pickup that is inductive not capacitive as most secondary pickups are. It can only be used on one coil at a time, but can often display a usable pattern from coils that the other pickups will not due to the signal level being very low.

If you use Lab scope to view ignition and another channel to trigger the scope, its best to use coil 1 rather than an injector. Remember the injectors open to provide fuel at a different point in the cycle than the coil fires the plug so if you use injector 1, it will be in the neighborhood of 1 crank revolution off from the cyl 1 firing. You would be better off using the opposite injector (Cyl 4 injector on a 6 cyl eng with F.O. of 1,2,3,4,5,6) but it may still be in between coil firings and you may not be able to tell which one it should line up with.
You might be better off using a Cam signal when applicable, but you have to be aware of the relationship between it and the number 1 firing.
Still it's generally going to be easier to use a coil. You can use the low amps probe for a simple non intrusive connection for the sync.
The amps probe sure is handy for coil diagnosis all by itself too.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:39 PM

SnapOnKid Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Now thats some serious info right there... Thanks Rich!!!