Practical Tips

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

Who put that spring tower right in front of the exhaust manifold. 07 Ford Sportrac 4.6 and the exhaust leaks on the right side. The front manifold studs are broke. These tend to break well into the head so welding a nut on doesn't work. A trip to the hardware store to get a screw remover with a drill bit on one end and extractor on the other and some cheap drill bits. I cut one of the smaller drill bits down so I could drill a pilot hole with my angle drill. Then I cut the screw extractor in half and used the drill end to drill about a 3/8 of an inch into the stud, Next I put the extractor end in to a 1/4 inch socket and amazingly it tightened up in the broken stud and turned it out. Glad it worked, I think my next option was engine removal. I think I'll get some more of these type extractors, they seem to work quite well.
    Attached Files

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

Since as near as I can see Snap On still hasn't given us the ability to program Toyota key FOBs with the scanner, I found this from Dorman. It's a programmer that plugs into the OBD port and it came with a FOB for a 2016 Tundra. I think the programmer will work more than once. the Dorman part no. is 99140. It says 2004 to 2012 Toyota trucks and SUVs on the package but it worked on the '16. about $70 on Amazon, cheaper elsewhere. There is supposed to be and scannerless way to program these but I get lost on about step 17.
      Attached Files

Comment

• greasybob
        • May 2008

Has anyone ever tried Zipper Tubing heat shrink ? I was thinking for covering battery Cable splices or other heavy wire connections where a slide around heat shrink tube may not be practical. https://www.zippertubing.com/Heat-Sh...rink-Wrap.html I just ordered a roll. We'll see.

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

Jumbo cable ties for checking ATF level

On the Chrysler automatic transmissions that have a narrow dipstick tube with the rubber plug on the end without dipstick that you need the Miller tool fluid level checker that costs $60 or the Dorman knock off that runs about $30, If you want a temporary improvised cheap alternative , try a jumbo white zip tie , 36 or 48 inches. lightly touch bottom and see how nicely the fluid level can be viewed in the little zip grooves and how high the fluid is. Believe the cold level on the tool for the trans in my specific model of the miller tool is 67mm cold , 70mm warm, and 77mm hot. Take a mm measurement of where the fluid comes to on the white nylon zipper grooves.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

Smoking an Intake ?

Don't worry about looking for the correct size plastic cap to cover the throttle body. Leave the air intake tube on the throttle body , remove the tube from the air flow sensor (downstream end) , take a plastic bag and cover the end and just shove the air intake tube back over it.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

From Pressing a hub out to peeling a Banana

You are never too old to learn a few new tricks. There's always an easier way to do things and sometimes it takes a monkey to show you that you been doing things wrong for years. Take a banana for example. I need to drink more water and have more potassium in my diet to avoid leg cramps and I recently got taught by an ape that I've been peeling bananas all wrong from the stem end and need to pinch the other end and peel it back. It's so much easier than cracking off the stem. Go figure.
              Now I recently learned that if you cut off the very top of an old brake rotor (the part with the stud holes and center that mates against the hub) you can often use scrap rotor as a receiver to press the hub out of the knuckle instead of balancing act across 4x6 timbers and wailing things with a sledge hammer to drive the hub out for lack of a proper press receiver for the hubs .
              Attached Files

Comment

• greasybob
                • May 2008

Did you Know ?

Did you know that you can put a newer F150 (2014 in this case) into TPMS learn mode by turning the ignition on and pressing the hazard switch 6 times rapidly ? Hmmm. Found out by accident, had a sticky hazard switch.

Comment

• BRIAN617
                  • Dec 2016

Originally posted by greasybob
                  Did you know that you can put a newer F150 (2014 in this case) into TPMS learn mode by turning the ignition on and pressing the hazard switch 6 times rapidly ? Hmmm. Found out by accident, had a sticky hazard switch.

2000ish S10 you could override the daytime running lamps by pushing the dome light button repeatedly.

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

Today 10:52 AM
                    Cool, that's worth noting

2000ish S10 you could override the daytime running lamps by pushing the dome light button repeatedly.
                    Nice , I'm always worried I'll have a stuck parking brake if I apply the parking brake to see if they'll turn off. I hate dealing with DRL.

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
                      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Witsend
                      Cool, that's worth noting

Nice , I'm always worried I'll have a stuck parking brake if I apply the parking brake to see if they'll turn off. I hate dealing with DRL.
                      Well Witsend, if your worried about the stuck parking brake, easy fix, never buy or borrow any VAG made vehicles with electric brakes, the calipers seize ( usually on, rarely off ) and then your real stuck 😱😱😱

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

Winter Salt belt cars

I don't like slush melting and dripping in my work area or on me but when dealing with some stuff it's good to let the cars you are working on thaw out overnight indoors.
                        Besides rust penetrant I found from experience there is a greater chance of freeing up stuck tube nuts on brake and fuel filter lines, by tightening down on the tube nut first before I try to loosen it. As far as some suspension arm and leaf spring bolts and nuts, I also like to try and tighten from the bolt side while holding the nut.The slight bolt torsion and stretch of the bolt within the metal sleeve clamped firmly between the frame or shackle is often enough to help free the rust bond between the bolt and sleeve and maybe save you cutting or a fiery morass of torching through a bushing where the sleeve is frozen onto the bolt and spinning inside the rubber.

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

Make up for being Dipstick and post a tip trick on You Tube

No need to pull intake manifold off to change a broken dipstick tube on a 2009 Corolla 1.8L. Besides a new intake gasket you got to think about possibly have to dealing with fuel rail orings too. Alternator removal seemed to work just fine on a 2009. 1.8L

Comment

• Witsend
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2012

I'm Not a Racist

I just believe God created us all different for His entertainment and sometimes a Chinaman Forward wheel bearing adapter set from Port Freight is better and quicker at seating wheel bearing and differential bearing races than my Old Honkey Tonk way of using a brass drift side to side.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2012

Tools where they belong

We all know they all belong in our tool box in the garage , but if you are creative , some times you can pull one over on the wife and she'll tolerate some in the kitchen.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• greasybob
                                • May 2008

You know those sliding shims for mounting alternators and such. An easy way to pull them back to make installations easier is to use an over sized socket, a 8mm bolt and nut and tighten. This will give you some room to make your installation without squeezing.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...