Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GypsyR
    • Jul 2017

19.2 -yuck, so far.

Right off the bat. The first screen I see is fine, same old. Scanner, OBD direct, VEHICLE HISTORY, etc, Nice and clean.

Tap "Scanner" and a third of the screen is taken up by the last four or so cars that were scanner. WTF? Back a page is the VEHICLE HISTORY button. I saw it, I use it, I know where to find it. Now to access almost half the vehicle makes I have to scroll down. For no good reason. I don't want to scroll down. No one does. Ever. KISS. Seriously, this is awful. It was bad enough when I had to scroll down for VW and Volvo simply because no one had sense enough to shrink the buttons slightly so everything would fit on one screen. Like in 17.4. I swear I am NEVER upgrading my Edge from 17.4 the way this is going. Reminds me of the old days when Microsoft forgot what "User interface" and "ease of use" meant.

That wasn't bad enough. It annoyed me (and still does) a lot when someone arbitrarily split the scannable modules up between what THEY considered to be the most commonly used. Versus just putting them on the screen (KISS) so I can pick and choose as I like. NOW, there's and extra clutter on the screen with big long buttons asking me whether I want to do a first time scan or a scan for after I have done repairs. Thanks for that. That's how I got to where I am today in the auto repair business (being able to afford multi-thousand dollar scanners) by being completely retarded. Appreciate the thought.

There's a very good chance at this point when our agreement runs out on this Zeus that we will be discontinuing using Snap On scan tools. That is from my boss, not me. Autel and Bosch are prime replacement contenders. Sorry.
  • GypsyR
    • Jul 2017

So next to the OBD dongle and scope connection indicator icons has grown a wifi symbol. I'm just now including it because it just now apparently realized it has in fact had a wifi connection the entire time and removed the red X. OK, a little startup issue, that's OK.

The real problem is that it is the equivalent of an "idiot light" on a car's dashboard. It's either on or off. No indication of signal strength. Odd. But that's OK, press the "desktop" button and there's the icon in Windows that indicates you can't connect because you have only one bar. (Indicating that you might could move to the other side of the vehicle or something, get two bars and continue working.) Useful!

So the new wifi icon is essentially mostly pointless screen clutter. Maybe it has values as a"wifi for Dummies" indicator though.

Comment

• wdoug21
      • May 2012

Let me start my reply as agreed , as for the 4 previous scanned ideal . Believe they had good intension but failed . If they could just have the tool recognize a previously scanned car and let you choose to continue . Would be enough. As for that symbol that looks like wifi , guess they couldn't use the altus symbol since its taking . Think that add on is for altus , to inform you its has connection to it .

Comment

• GypsyR
        • Jul 2017

Is it? That would make sense as I caught it again saying no connection when the wifi was connected. I believe you are correct sir. Unfortunately we don't use Altus or eve rintend to so it's more useless screen clutter. Probably leaching precious CPU and memory bandwidth.

Comment

• GypsyR
          • Jul 2017

Noted in particular on an extraordinarily slow to communicate VW Jetta. The progress bar in scanning all systems is VERY hard to read. The dull as dishwater gray/black/gray color scheme is already fairly bad. A progress bar of gray and slightly darker gray is impossible to read for a colorblind member of our team. And pretty darn difficult for everyone else.

Comment

Working...