Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paullap
    • Dec 2016

ka pid list

This is a few pids that dont look correct to me.

vgy.me is a free and easy-to-use image hosting service hosted in the UK. Upload anonymously or create a free account to manage your uploads.

I hope this works

paul

Comment

• paullap
      • Dec 2016

KA

These are not great pictures but the best I can do for the moment, all 3 off these are from the cylinder one after the other firings. I hope this works.
      Please let me know you can see them as this is the first time I have done this.

secondary waveforms

vgy.me is a free and easy-to-use image hosting service hosted in the UK. Upload anonymously or create a free account to manage your uploads.

Paul

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Kind of looks inverted (like it might be a Waste Spark System) that also uses some sort of Funky Ford triple strike firing at the lower engine rpm.
        If it uses only 2 coil on plugs and 2 spark plug cables , I don't believe you will see something of much use with a regular secondary coil pickup.
        Maybe just off one of the sparkplug cables if you have a selection for True and Wasted. Think if I had that car , I would be getting Truelly Wasted

Comment

• tech25
          • Oct 2017

hey there, just curious, the cars ecu seems to be acting goofy, a lot of times this is due to poor grounds and power, i would go through and check to see what the resistance is at the ecu connector for all grounds and verify all power is correct.

Comment

• paullap
            • Dec 2016

KA secondary ignition

Hi Witsend. This is a normal 4 coil pack with 4 leads, Link to a picture below. I have just taken 1 lead on the secondary side (plug lead) and connected a secondary pickup lead clipped around the plug lead. It is not a multi strike system , I know what you are talking about, the vauxhall corsa twinport engine uses that system, it is used to ignite the fuel more efficient for emissions, This is just a plain system. The secondary waveform looks crazy to me, and all the cylinders are the same, and every firing event looks different. I am thinking ECU or fuel, Short term fuel trim is taking away 100% as near a dam it , the plugs look a nice light brown colour and the pre cat o2 is switching normal 0.2 to 1.0. The only thing that I have not done is a fuel pressure test, I did not have the correct connection for the schrader valve, so I have ordered a new test kit, hopefully I will have the correct connection in this kit. The question Is "" what would make the secondary ignition waveform look like that"""

Thanks for taking the time

Paul

Comment

• paullap
              • Dec 2016

power and earths

Hi Tech 25, I think that is a good shout, Probably something I should have done from the start. The oil pressure switch looks strange, And the secondary ignition is crazy. I would probably have to test the power and earths with the engine running?. How is life in Sunny Florida?. a great place, I have been there many times.

Thanks for the tip,

Paul

Comment

• paullap
                • Dec 2016

coil pack

I think the coil pack link was wrong, Try this one

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

I think the coil pack link was wrong, Try this one
                  All 3 links look like the same image to me.
                  It does appear to look like it has 4 separate coils but if 1 and 4 and 2 and 3 are directly next to one another, I would suspect it's a waste spark system that is going to make the pattern look crazy if you don't use a DIS adapter .

Comment

• tech25
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by paullap
                    Hi Tech 25, I think that is a good shout, Probably something I should have done from the start. The oil pressure switch looks strange, And the secondary ignition is crazy. I would probably have to test the power and earths with the engine running?. How is life in Sunny Florida?. a great place, I have been there many times.

Thanks for the tip,

Paul

hey there, its starting to get hot and humid. not fun in a shop with no ac.. hopefully when school is out and these snow birds go back north, stuff will slow down.

I would not test for ground with the engine running, i would disconnect the ecu connector key off, and test at the actual pins in the connector to a known good ground ( battery terminal ), test all grounds, and take in account of dvom /leads resistance,

than with key on, connector still disconnected. i would test for power at all pins, ( dont have wiring diagram ) but im sure theres more than one ground, and more than one power.

Comment

• paullap
                      • Dec 2016

Sorry, What is a DIS adapter?.

Paul

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

Sorry, What is a DIS adapter?.

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

I recently had a 2008 Buick La Crosse that seemed pretty corked up starting around 2500rpm . I removed the downstream O2 sensor and it did not seem to make a difference revving it to 3000 rpm still seemed to bog . I reinstalled the downstream O2, then removed the upstream O2 sensor and that uncorked it, and it revved easily past 3000rpm fine. It had a restricted Cat converter.
                          Yesterday I checked a 2008 Mazda 3 with a lean condition at idle code P2187.I had to check it in Generic OBD2 mode to view short and long fuel trims, because in regular factory pid mode the Air Fuel Ratio Sensor data displayed in a some sort of Farfigfunk way I'm not in the mood to learn how to convert to.
                          Some times less stuff to sift through and put in a simpler form makes life a little easier.

Last edited by Witsend; 05-16-2019, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• paullap
                            • Dec 2016

Hi Witsend, That is a great you tube video, I am still playing with this car, I dont have a lot of time at the moment, But I will be back on it soon. Watch this space.

Paul

Comment

• paullap
                              • Dec 2016

Knock sensor

I am going to look at the knock sensor next, I know how test it on the PIco scope, But what do you look for on the verus pids?. At the moment the on the pid it is 0 volts constant, enen with the engine running and revving, Surly there should be some sort of movement?.

Paul

Comment

• paullap
                                • Dec 2016

I have had another look at this KA.
                                a few observations
                                I did a cylinder waveform on all the cylinders, they all look the same to me, but when doing this it did not record any misfires whatsoever. no codes.

I would have thought you would get a misfire code for that ?.

This spitting in the inlet is heat related. the warmer it gets the worse it is, probably to do with the detonation.

It does it when warm as soon as you take your foot off the pedal from wide open throttle, so this is telling me it is a vacuum related problem .

I am going to do a in cylinder waveform with the coils crank sensor and injectors later. I want to see where the timing is at idle and 300 rpm.

I will let you know how I get on

Paul

Comment

Working...