Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trindaddy
    • Jan 2010

Great! Right in the middle of re-flash!

I am currently in the middle of reflashing a 2010 Fusion Hybrid. There were 2 modules with later cals, PCM and ABS. The ABS flash worked, the pcm one failed. Error states "because PCM did not complete service procedure, perform PMI to correct". The "erasing" part seemed to go, but I don't know what to do now. I tried to perform PMI and re-prog many times now. I don't know if the car even runs at the moment! Is anyone able to advise me? Orevin, are you there?

Neil
  • Bob's Garage
    • Nov 2007

Check IDS support

Neil, can you isolate the PCM? In other words can you unplug all other modules on the bus, and make a straight connection? Maybe one of the4 modules is corrupting the bus. Turn the key forward to see if it starts, maybe it did not erase the PCM yet even though it says it did. If it doesn't start, don't roll the key to the off position.

Have you sent an e-mail to Motorcraft/Rotunds through IDS support tab?
    Sometimes they take a whole day, but they always get back to me.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...cs/support.asp

Comment

• diesel71
      • Feb 2008

neil are you using the ids to flash or the passthrew2? If your using the ids you can unplug the pcm and then try to communicate with the pcm. It cant communicate so it will ask you to enter the pcm calibration code to id the pcm,then plug the pcm in. at this point it should ask for a as build date or finish programing. if you have the passthrew2 you might have to ask rotundra support like bob suggested.

Comment

• Trindaddy
        • Jan 2010

First, thank you all for helping and you Orevin who was behind the scenes. I will post this same thread on IATN for discussion. As Orevin and Deisel suggested, I tried to force "Blank Path Programming" procedure as outlined in the download Orevin sent me. The download info was older, and the info not quite accurate during the process. Still, I did force the process allowing me to attempt reprogram using the PCM part number which also failed. Initially, the process (FMP ver 86.0) prompted me that the vehicle being blank flashed has an incomplete session stored and kept reverting me back to the open session over and over with no choice (a process not mentioned in Orevin's article). So, without any other options (and no more time to donate) I erased the stored session which deleted the back-up data for the PCM. No return.
        Now I started the blank flash again. Again it failed to download the data. Over and over I tried it. Support @ Motorcraft finally called during these final minutes and followed along. At the screen near the end FMP prompted me to enter VIN, RO and mileage. Support guy states "thats just to identify the session, you don't need it" so I hit "tick". Still, failed again. The consensus from support was that it was a problem with the Fusion's PCM as I was able to complete flash of ABS module, communicate, erase etc, and they let me go. From here I tried a few more times and something else became apparent. Now I received a warning after failing to prog PCM that "more than one module has the wrong VIN ID and complete PMI to correct". It listed the affected modules below: ABS and PCM. Subsequent tries produced "can not communicate" errors. Just another brick..
        Dead, off it went on a ramp to the dealer. We called near the end of the day and they told us that they can not comm with PCM and that they are in contact with Ford Tech support. They believe the PCM is damaged. I wonder if it always (recently) was. It came in a few weeks ago with PCM codes P0130 and P0A7C. Both circuit codes for O2 sensor and aux heater motor respectively. Two different TSBs addressed these specific codes with no driveability issues and suggested a reflash for both which is how we arrived here. My question now, if your still with me, is: If Motorcraft support thinks the car's PCM was at fault, my equipment worked and was certified for use (Actia XS or original Snap-On Pass Thru Pro) and I was prudent , who should pay for this repair? How would you present this? Do you dealer techs ever blow-up a PCM during a process as such? Who pays for the repair? How do I justify taking this risk for such a small profit? This job is about to cost me well over 1000.00. (PCM=850.00, Tow=50, a day and a 1/'s lost wages, subscription=27, dealer diagnosis=200, pcm r+r 100...)
        Worst of all, I don't know for sure what went wrong. I would gladly suck it up if I knew what happened so I could ensure it won't happen again and continue to offer this type of service at this level of expertise. Should I refrain and stick to tires and brakes etc and ignore my reputation and passion for challenge and learning? It's hard to justify this procedure when I can just send the customer to the dealer themselves or source the job. It's not who I want to be. But, is it who I should be? No wrong answers. Thanks for reading.

Truly,
        Neil

Comment

• diesel71
          • Feb 2008

I guess if it were me id call the customer and be honest, explain what went wrong. maybe not charge for the time and reflash but ask them to pay for the pcm and dealer charges?..... it's a tuff one neil,i feel your pain.

Comment

• Trindaddy
            • Jan 2010

Well, all is well now. Dealer recovered my PCM after more than a day of collaborating with tech support and the cost was very fair. I am relieved to say the least. It seems we still have to be wary of flashing some cars with our J tools. As some have advised me, the IDS doesn't have these issues. Think twice about using Jtool on the hybrid Ford Fusions guys. Thanks again for your input. You help to make this my favorite trade forum. I gotta get some sleep tonight...

Neil

Comment

• tomtec
              • Jun 2013

great right in the middle of a flash

hello Neil I noticed in your profile you have a modis elite with 13.4 software May I ask if you work for s-o or are a regular user ? also have you had it a long time? Or can you confirm it is released to the public ? Thanks for any info you can provide. thanks Tom

Comment

• Trindaddy
                • Jan 2010

The Modis Ultra is beginning to "roll out" now. I have only had my own for just a few days now. I suspect you will see some interesting reviews here soon. I am a "regular user" -shop owner. I am told some aspects of it are still in the "beta" stage.

Comment

• tomtec
                  • Jun 2013

great ! right in the middle of re-flash

Thanks Neil so 13.4 is called ultra? I am having so mush locking up and other issues a s/n tech said he would send me a 13.4 cf card! I will call them Monday and see what they say thanks tom

Comment

• Trindaddy
                    • Jan 2010

No Tom, 13.4 is just the software version. The same one all the current tools use. 13.4 is not released for the public yet across the other platforms. The Modis Ultra is the latest version of the Modis platform and the newest scan tool as far as I know. HTH

Neil

Comment

• Modis500
                      • Sep 2012

Anyone got photos/specs of this 'Modis Ultra'?? Is this replacing the Verdict, or just a re-badge? You've got my attention
                      "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
                      Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                        Snap-on DSD
                        • Aug 2007

I'm not sure if Snap-on has plans for discontinuing sales for the Verdict, but it is a possibility. I've gotten my hands on one. It looks almost exactly like a Solus Ultra. Just a tad bigger. Same OS. 2 trace lab scope. Has a scanner data update rate between 2-3 times faster than the current scanners. It's fast.

Joe
                        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                        Henry Ford

Comment

Working...