Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • longhungsilver
    • Oct 2013

Partition HD

I read a lot about partitioning the laptop hard drive for different makes reflashing software. I'm also reading some people saying you need to install a different operating system for the partitions?

Anyone want to share their experience with flashing with 1 laptop?
  • crackerclicker
    • May 2008

For what you're suggesting, yes, you would need to have an OS on each partition.

Comment

• longhungsilver
      • Oct 2013

so simply putting each manufacturers softwear on a different partition isn't enough on its own?

running multiple windows 7s isn't really possible as far as I know. you can dual boot with a different OS like Linux or XP. what about simply installing each manufacturer to a different external HD?

the best solution of course is different laptops

Comment

• sbreland73
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by longhungsilver
        so simply putting each manufacturers softwear on a different partition isn't enough on its own?

running multiple windows 7s isn't really possible as far as I know. you can dual boot with a different OS like Linux or XP. what about simply installing each manufacturer to a different external HD?

the best solution of course is different laptops
        Yes, you can actually install many instances of Win 7. Others have done it, our shop laptop has five separate partitions. The simple explanation is that some OE software may have similar files, and if not separated, they get confused. If you are really serious about flashing, Google can be a great friend in finding out what you have to do to get a laptop setup. Be patient, and be prepared to read a lot. HTH
        S. Breland

Comment

• crackerclicker
          • May 2008

Originally posted by longhungsilver
          Oh, I see what you're trying to do. That's an interesting concept. I don't think it would work (I'm certainly no computer expert), but it would be very easy to test. Give it a try, and let us know how you did.

Comment

• longhungsilver
            • Oct 2013

Yea I think I will try making a different partition for each manufacturers softwear and see if that keeps things separated enough. Certainly a much easier solution then buying and installing many copies of windows. I'll report back either way once I've had multiple trial runs.

Comment

Working...