Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan17059
    • May 2015

previous vehicles deleted after update

Hello. I have recently purchased a solus edge. I recently did an update and noticed it deleted all my previous vehicles after doing so. It did not delete my "saved" data just the vehicle list. This is a complete shot in the dark but here is my problem. A customer brought in a 2011 impala with a code for the Accel pedal position sensor. We decided to simply try some dielectric grease on the connectors. Cleared the codes and drove it. He has experienced the same problem again (power loss and other lights) but no codes are stored. Now from the time we applied the grease to now, he has received a letter from gm stating that they have found a faulty solder joint within these sensors however, they will not fix it without a code being stored. Is there any possible way for me to bring up this info on my solus to prove to them it was there? Sadly, I did not save the info as a screenshot or anything . I started doing so now.. I doubt the update erasing the previous vehicles matters anyway because I did clear the code before that. Just thought I'd mention it.
  • Crusty
    • Dec 2007

I save LOTS of data, every time I plug into a vehicle. I then take the time to save the screen shots and movies in my computer, and then in more than one place. Hey a hard drive or USB stick can self destruct any time. Not often but it has been known to happen.

One of the newer cool features in SO scanners and SSC is that the first thing I do is access the VIN. Screen Shot.

The next thing is to do what is called an all module scan, which, if the vehicle is capable along with the tool, saves all the codes stored in all modules that the vehicle has, or that the scanner recognizes.
    (we have ALWAYS been taught to save the codes.....)
    Now with the all module scan report on screen, SAVE THE file. (upper right corner of the touch screen on mine)
    This creates an XML file, which, if the VIN was accessed, should associate the VIN within the XML file.

Now we can have some sort of documentation that a code was in fact in the vehicle when it arrived.
    I used to (and still do) save the screen shots of the codes anyway. "What was the exact code number again-??"
    It's also a bit of CYA when some jerk tries to come back later saying "it wasn't doing that before". (like THAT never happens in our business...)

Years ago a so-called SnapOn "trainer" was at the shop and he said "you save too many files". Incredible-!!

Saved files PROVE what you saw and what you did. Before and after. Every time. Every vehicle.

These files can also be used at a later date, not only on the same vehicle, for comparison, but as a reference for a similar vehicle or vehicle system. Known good and known bad. You can build your own database.

Sorry this doesn't help you much this time around but I've been preaching the importance of saved data, recordings, SSC, VIN numbers, to SnapOn for a very long time. They're getting better at these things, thankfully.

If it really is a bad solder joint, it's not IF it will mess up again, it's just a matter of time. I don't think you did anything wrong, especially since the letter from GM arrived AFTER you saw the vehicle.
    Well, maybe you should have saved the files, but now you are so lessons learned. Not that your file would be enough for the parent corporation (they NEVER believe an indy anyway) but at least your customer would have faith in your diligence to solve THEIR vehicles' problems, and you followed up with documentation.

LOL... I'm not Crusty ALL the time-!!! LOL

Comment

• ericsautomotive
      • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Dan17059
      Hello. I have recently purchased a solus edge. I recently did an update and noticed it deleted all my previous vehicles after doing so. It did not delete my "saved" data just the vehicle list. This is a complete shot in the dark but here is my problem. A customer brought in a 2011 impala with a code for the Accel pedal position sensor. We decided to simply try some dielectric grease on the connectors. Cleared the codes and drove it. He has experienced the same problem again (power loss and other lights) but no codes are stored. Now from the time we applied the grease to now, he has received a letter from gm stating that they have found a faulty solder joint within these sensors however, they will not fix it without a code being stored. Is there any possible way for me to bring up this info on my solus to prove to them it was there? Sadly, I did not save the info as a screenshot or anything . I started doing so now.. I doubt the update erasing the previous vehicles matters anyway because I did clear the code before that. Just thought I'd mention it.
      If they (The dealer) don't see and diagnose the code using their equipment? The customer is SOL anyways.... Just sayin.
      P.S. back up everything and I mean everything ........
      Last edited by ericsautomotive; 06-02-2015, 08:41 AM. Reason: grammer
      Don't guess! Test !!

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

A customer brought in a 2011 impala with a code for the Accel pedal position sensor. We decided to simply try some dielectric grease on the connectors. Cleared the codes and drove it. He has experienced the same problem again (power loss and other lights) but no codes are stored. Now from the time we applied the grease to now, he has received a letter from gm stating that they have found a faulty solder joint within these sensors however, they will not fix it without a code being stored.
        Dielectric grease on mating metal surfaces on a secondary high voltage spark plug wire boot , COP boot, bottom of ignition module, or caliper bracket slides is great, I would never want to use it where it get in between mating metal terminals of low voltage electrical connectors, especially sensors Maybe very sparing use on the outer circumference of connector weather pack rubber seals , but I think whether silicone or not , grease is going to create a sh@ttier connection especially on terminals that have weak low tension between them already.I Never was a fan of bulb grease either

Comment

• Crusty
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
          Dielectric grease on mating metal surfaces on a secondary high voltage spark plug wire boot , COP boot, bottom of ignition module, or caliper bracket slides is great, I would never want to use it where it get in between mating metal terminals of low voltage electrical connectors, especially sensors Maybe very sparing use on the outer circumference of connector weather pack rubber seals , but I think whether silicone or not , grease is going to create a sh@ttier connection especially on terminals that have weak low tension between them already.I Never was a fan of bulb grease either
          Read up on the condition called "fretting". GM TSB's. Happens on injectors particularly. Anywhere where there could be vibrations.

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

Read up on the condition called "fretting". GM TSB's. Happens on injectors particularly. Anywhere where there could be vibrations.
            Maybe GM shouldn't be siamesing 4 Knuclehead V-twins together and calling them Eights

Comment

• ericsautomotive
              • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Witsend
              Maybe GM shouldn't be siamesing 4 Knuclehead V-twins together and calling them Eights
              HAHAHAHAHA LMFAO ! ! !
              Don't guess! Test !!

Comment

Working...