Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • texasprd
    • Jan 2008

Modis Buying considerations

I'm a DIYer currently using an MT2500 and Vantage. For multiple reasons, I'm considering going to a Modis since it has scope (more channels) and scan in one. I need answers to some questions that will influence what I look for.

I know there are at least two motherboard versions - pre-2006, and 2006-and-later (reset button and mini-USB connector under left grip). Are there other motherboard versions - if so, how do I tell if I'm looking at one?

Screens - flush and raised: I understand the older flush version has the Snap-on logo at upper left and Modis at lower right - the raised version is opposite, correct? What year did the raised screen come out?

I have seen units on ebay with a standard USB connector on the front - does that have any "age" significance?

Lastly, is it possible to have two versions of the software on the unit on different cards, and switch between them? My reason for asking is that the newer software versions appear to drop coverage for some of the older vehicles I currently have (like our '88 and '95 Chevys) - I'll have a real battle telling my wife we have to sell her truck because I don't have a diag tool for it (I plan to sell the MT2500 & Vantage)... yeah. I'd like to have an older and newer software version on separate cards and slots, if that's possible - is it?

Thanks for any help and insight!
  • Modis500
    • Sep 2012

2006 is the "raised window" version that has the USB under the left grip and the newer motherboard. I enjoyed mine immensely until it started to freeze up a lot and I wasn't about to pay the $1,000+ Level 3 repair for it. I'm not sure when they started including Legacy software, but mine had 12.4 and you could utilize Legacy (same as MT2500 software) so you could switch, but you can't have 8.4 (for example) and a newer version on it at the same time. We have requested this, but no success as of yet. Like I said, i enjoyed mine a lot, and I will own another one before my Diag life is over. And a good one can be had for $1,100 with Euro and a fairly recent update. Happy Hunting!
    "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
    Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Skip
      Super Moderator
      • Apr 2008

Only the 2400 dropped older coverage. Was told not enough space on the board. My Modis has GM from 1981 to present with 14.4.

Comment

• greasybob
        • May 2008

Keep the Vantage. Still the handiest ,easiest graphing meter that there is plus the inline amp meter is still tops for finding battery draws.

Comment

• Crusty
          • Dec 2007

I agree with Bob.....Keep the Vantage.
          I have a Vantage-PRO and it's a nice tool...not perfect but is any-??

Keep the scanner separate from the scope/meter. K.I.S.S.

You can also use both and see things at exactly the same time on the same circuit. EG; monitor MAF while you watch the scanner, or watch the O2 while you watch the scanner.

The files can also be viewed using SSC (Shop Stream Connect) which can be used on a laptop, PC, possibly a tablet now too.

Scan with a scanner

Scope with a scope.

Fewer conflicts.....Engineering 101....K.I.S.S.....ROFLMAO

Comment

• texasprd
            • Jan 2008

Thanks for the info, guys - although Bob and Crusty, I hoped to sell both the Vantage and the MT2500 to offset the cost of the Modis. LOL

Where "Legacy" is concerned, does anyone know if previous existing problems were fixed? For instance, my 2500 (with 2003 & earlier) will not read all the transmission data points correctly (always shows a trans temp of 14663, even in KOEO mode, whereas my who-knows-how-old OTC Enhanced Monitor reads correctly). It would "slightly" stink to upgrade to the Modis if Legacy still had errors like that.

Comment

• chaskuss
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by texasprd
              snipped
              Where "Legacy" is concerned, does anyone know if previous existing problems were fixed? For instance, my 2500 (with 2003 & earlier) will not read all the transmission data points correctly (always shows a trans temp of 14663, even in KOEO mode, whereas my who-knows-how-old OTC Enhanced Monitor reads correctly). It would "slightly" stink to upgrade to the Modis if Legacy still had errors like that.
              Glitches like that often get fixed with newer software bundles. My Modis can do a lot more than my Brick [MT2500]. For older cars, the brick works for 95% of what I need. It boots up faster and is easier to use. When I don't need the Modis, I still like to use my Brick. I've got 7.2 in my Brick. It reads trans temps correctly. 7.2 has minor drop off of older stuff. I have older [1996 - 2001 & up to 1999] cartridges for when that happens.
              Last edited by chaskuss; 12-17-2014, 10:29 AM. Reason: corrected software bundle info

Comment

• scottmechanics
                • Jun 2013

The modis on win ce

I have added a wifi mouse and keyboard to my modis I often run the program twice from the start bar you can run scope n scan tool t he same time
                or look back in saved data with out coming out of scan data very handy

Comment

• scottmechanics
                  • Jun 2013

and external monitor

modis is running on 13.4 have put a vid on youtube

Comment

• chaskuss
                    • Dec 2009

Video link?

Scott,
                    Thanks for the great tips on expanding the Modis' capabilities. Could you add a link to your YouTube video? FYI, I recently needed to scan an old 1995 Ford Aspire, my 12.4 Modis would not even allow me to enter the VIN correctly to connect to the car. The MT2500 with 7.2 handled it. Best to hang on to that brick [MT2500] if you have customers with pre OBD II cars.

Comment

• Modis500
                      • Sep 2012

Scottmechanics,

I'm impressed with the upgrades to the Modis you've performed. That large screen is great, and being able to move from scanner to scope is great. Obviously Snappy didn't intend for this, but for someone to hack in and do this outside the Verus Tool is cool in my book. Thanks Man
                      "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
                      Zig Ziglar

Comment

• chaskuss
                        • Dec 2009

I'm lost

Originally posted by Modis500
                        Scottmechanics,

I'm impressed with the upgrades to the Modis you've performed. That large screen is great, and being able to move from scanner to scope is great. Obviously Snappy didn't intend for this, but for someone to hack in and do this outside the Verus Tool is cool in my book. Thanks Man
                        Obviously, you were able to find his video on YouTube. I've been unable to find it. My search perimeters were "adding an external monitor to a Snap On Modis" What perimeters did you use to find his video? How about a link, please?

Comment

• chaskuss
                          • Dec 2009

OK, I manged to find your video by doing a search on your forum user name. Found it quite quickly, using that as a search perimeter. It can be found at

Scott, have you considered upgrading the main memory on your Modis? It comes with a 64Mb stick of Kingston PC100 SDRam memory. Windows CE 3 can handle up to 256 Mb of memory. I've done this upgrade, it does help to speed things up a bit. There is also an empty PC100 laptop memory slot. Adding memory there, will increase the number of previous vehicles that the Modis can remember. Thanks for the great tip.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                            Snap-on DSD
                            • Aug 2007

FrankenModis! Interesting project.

Joe
                            "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                            Henry Ford

Comment

• scottmechanics
                              • Jun 2013

Modis multi task plus 10" screen

here is you tube link

Also 12.2 onward has her heritage software that run the red brick
                              In side on the modis Where you need older keys
                              Very good system the modis

Comment

Working...