Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dodge90
    • Oct 2014

new to programing

hello fellow wrenchers. I've been reading some of these older posts on programing and wondering if this programing is worth it and what kinda training I should get?? My boss just upgraded to the new verius pro and also ordered a pass thru pro , and me knowing nothing about it and mostly teaching myself and learning what I need from articals got me a little worried about jumping into this. Nice they sell you this equipment but ask how to use it?? their answer, "oh just go online to our website" well I for one, with something like this would realy like hands on training. Some things are better learned hands on. Should I go "wireless" or hard wire for internet connection?? What should I expect , need, look for on my frist one. Will windows xp work or buy a new lap top to start? Answers like this the rep couldnt evan answer. Any advise???
    I've tried and tried, but can't seem to fix stupid!
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

How many vehicles do you currently send out for programming ? Are there any independent shops in your area that flash ? Are there a lot of new car dealers in your area ? Do you know of other shops in your area that send out a lot of vehicles for flashing ? Are you computer literate ?
    Those are the type of questions you have to ask your self. The methods and computer requirements are always changing so it's hard to give a lot of info and have it remain current. I own my own equipment and do some vehicles here on the shop clock but do a lot for others on my own. Go to The Drew Tech web sight for some instructional videos but some of them are dated. The Tool Box always has information and news too. http://www.drewtech.com/technician/index.html

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

Body shops or people who fix their own builders are good customers to have for flashing and diagnostics. Usually just flash and/or relearn an air bag module or something else that was destroyed in a crash. Not a lot of pressure and you can work it in to your schedule so you can make the most of a short term subscription.

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Body shops or people who fix their own builders are good customers to have for flashing and diagnostics. Usually just flash and/or relearn an air bag module or something else that was destroyed in a crash. Not a lot of pressure and you can work it in to your schedule so you can make the most of a short term subscription.
        Hopefully the wiring harness on those body shop cars has not been compromised or the battery run down where your breathing Bondo dust and paint fumes way past midnight after your regular work day, breathing brake cleaner fumes.

Comment

• badcoupe
          • Jan 2011

get a decent laptop with windows 7, stay away from 8. I use the wifi no problem and use my Iphone as a hotspot when I need to at other shops. It's not too bad to do otherwise, GM's and fords are the ones I do most followed by honda acura and kia hyundai. Most gm's benefit greatly from just updating software. Some makes, gm ford mazda etc you can do security, programming keys etc as well. I live in a small town with one locksmith, he sends me key programming jobs after he's got the lock cylinder issues straightened out when need be. Plus in the case of gm and a few others you can have the oe scan tool on your laptop and use it with the passthru. I use gds2 quite alot now.

Comment

• dodge90
            • Oct 2014

well we don't send alot out for reflash but we do handle mostly late model cars that can use updates. Its more I think the problem is we are sending cars out loosing money and he feels we should be able to do it wich means me having to figure it out. Dosen't take into consideration it's not as easy as "they say it is". Just plug it in, hit a button and done. Info like badcoupe about windows is great info to me. Guess another learning process is in order. I'll check out the drew teck site. Thanks for the info.

Comment

• greasybob
              • May 2008

badcoupe, are you using GDS2 with your PassThruPro II or with a CarDaq M

Comment

• badcoupe
                • Jan 2011

passthru pro

Comment

• jm43130
                  • Apr 2008

I own a Verus Pro, and Mastertech VCI for programming, and I use a dedicated laptop and wireless for flashing. I think you'll see almost everyone agrees not to use Verus in place of a laptop, you'll find holes in the Verus software that doesn't work with programming. Get a laptop and I thing GM's are easier to start learning on than say Ford or Chrysler. Chrysler also has holes where you can't flash some modules and have to have dealer OEM tool. READ, READ,READ.

Comment

• dodge90
                    • Oct 2014

what seems to b the problem with windows 8?? Thats all I get with a new lap top, I woun't use the verus as a lap top, even the dealer suggested you shouldn't even though Snap-on says you can. THanks for the info guys
                    BOBBY

Comment

• Crusty
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by dodge90
                      what seems to b the problem with windows 8?? Thats all I get with a new lap top, I woun't use the verus as a lap top, even the dealer suggested you shouldn't even though Snap-on says you can. THanks for the info guys
                      BOBBY
                      I still have an old DOS based program running on three computers.
                      Luckily I found a computer shop nearby where the guys know how to install older operating systems into new computers-!!

I have picked up 2 laptops since everything went to Win-8 (one for the boss and one for the daughter). Simply asked Robert and Mike to install Win-7 on them before I picked them up.
                      Took a couple of days but they had it done by the time I could get there to pick them up.

Comment

• Steve6911
                        • Feb 2007

There are also PLENTY of computer stores on Ebay that have really good Windows 7 PC's at great prices

Steve

Comment

• badcoupe
                          • Jan 2011

best buy will install win7 on a new laptop if you purchase it from them.

Comment

• Witsend
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2012

windows 8.1

Running a few older programs off a 1 TB external harddrive in my new Windows 8.1 laptop, but it liked to change the letter assignment of the external hard drive randomly, so if you plugged in a USB a zip drive the 1TB harddrive suddenly switch from drive F to G and F' up all the data paths you had set up and the programs wouldn't work. You have to assign the external drive a letter way up in the alphabetical order that would have little chance of letter getting displaced and changed by another connected device. I installed Start 8 to have a traditional start menu and if I do wish to see the windows 8 Crapts menu, it's been De'Frankensteined and displays very small alphabetically organized symbols to select

Comment

• dodge90
                              • Oct 2014

tanks for the info, looking at one at best buy. Computer geek told me he would help in anyway didnt ask about installing wind.7 but will do that. Didn't think of asking just thought you couldnt do it. well at least me

Comment

Working...