Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ToltecasChavez
    • Apr 2011

wiTECH Questions

So I just purchase a MicroPod II from Ebay. It's just the POD and the USB cable. So I saw some people say that the software is separate. I just need info as to what I need to do to activate it and be able to use it for diagnostics. I know for programming I have to buy the subscription, but how does programming work? Do I have to buy the software and then the programming subscription? Does the programming go through the software? I'm looking online to see if I find any info on this, but would like to know from someone who has experience in dealing with this. Thank you!
  • diesel71
    • Feb 2008

you will need the witech software program and there is software to make the micropod work with the witech software. you will then need a subscription to tech authority to download flash files.

Comment

• longhungsilver
      • Oct 2013

Honestly u may be in trouble. You need to pay for the software for diagnostics 1800 a year us dollars. That validates your device too. You then can purchase tech authority subscription as needed or buy a full year of it. Buying the pod on eBay tho is risky. It may not be able to be validated. Dodge loves to brick people's devices.

Comment

• diesel71
        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by longhungsilver
        Honestly u may be in trouble. You need to pay for the software for diagnostics 1800 a year us dollars. That validates your device too. You then can purchase tech authority subscription as needed or buy a full year of it. Buying the pod on eBay tho is risky. It may not be able to be validated. Dodge loves to brick people's devices.
        I believe what happens is, people don't know if they purchased a real or cloned micropod. the software performs a validation check and fails because its a fake/cloned then your stuck with a none working micropod. I know of one shop that had a cloned pod, it would work and do basic function's like read data and codes but the functional tests and programing would not work.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
          • Apr 2011

Oh wow! Didn't know that they're cloning micropod II??? And that I have to buy the year plan in order for it to be validated. I will call techauthority and find out how to know if my pod is real or fake. Have yet to see a fake micropod II on any site. Or the fact that you have to buy a years worth of the program to be validated. So it's a program on top of another program on top of another program. Lol. That's crazy! I have only seen on eBay sellers descriptions that you have to buy the software and the programming subscription, but not sure how it was validated and all. I will start asking questions right away and make sure it isn't fake, bricked or anything like that. I will def fight eBay and cancel that charge if any of that is true. Thanks for the input guys! I will update this post with information once I have all my concerns answered.

Edit: So I called Techauthority and they said they don't deal with the tools. That I had to contact the company and find out from them. I'm not sure, but I found a contact info at kb.dcctools and sent them an e-mal stating my problem. At this point I just want to know if the tool will work or not and how to acquire the software. Hopefully they tell me the deal. Will keep u posted.

Edit 2: Got an answer very quickly, but I don't have the tool yet. They will check it for me and see if the tool work is registered or not. I hope everything works out bc if it does, then I made a very cheap purchase for a dealer level tool. So I'm crossing my fingers.
          Last edited by ToltecasChavez; 02-23-2016, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• longhungsilver
            • Oct 2013

How much did u pay?

Just so u know all the dealer tools are subscription based. The prices vary but the days r gone where u buy a tool and never need new software unless u wanna update it.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
              • Apr 2011

I will update this tomorrow since I finally got some answers from the tool manufacturer and AETools who also sells this. And yes, you were correct on the tool being expensive, but luckly it was a legit tool.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                • Apr 2011

Ok, so the tool I purchased was 1 of 2 versions which, of course, the one I got cannot be used by anyone. After they explained everything, they told me the micropod II I purchased was not something I could use. The one AEtools sells is more for independent shops and such. Then they sell u the tool with a 1 year wiTECH software subscription. If u want programming as well, it's an additional charge. The tool with everything is around 5k. For 1 year! So next year you will pay almost 3k to renew software and if you want programming as well. So yeah, very expensive, but for diagnostics, it still under 2k a year. So that's the story. Luckly the eBayer refund my money after returning it this morning. So I wasted only time and return shipping, but gained some really good knowledge about this tool. So if you ever buy from ebay, make sure they sell you the wiTECH software activated and if ur lucky they might sell you the programming software as well. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Comment

• jables2006
                  • Dec 2015

Thanks for the update. Glad you were dealt with fairly. You might want to go out & get a lotto ticket.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                    • Apr 2011

Lol. You know what, I will today. The eBayer was very kind and honest, he said sorry and everything worked out great. Now I'm just gonna buy the new Cardaq Plus 2. Since my old Snap-on PTP II is very old now. But yeah, for Chrysler, they're still making it very expensive for small shops to acquire this tool. The fact that you have to buy subscriptions for diagnostics AND programming is crazy. Not sure why all car makers do this. But oh well, maybe one day when I do a few chryslers a week, will this tool be useful.

Comment

• longhungsilver
                      • Oct 2013

Ford is the cheapest of the big3 to tool up for. Diagnostics and programming come together for a yearly cost that's reasonable (I think about $700 a year). GM also sells programming and diagnostics software separately and it's very expensive as well. I buy Ford yearly and GM as needed and Chrysler yearly diagnostics and as needed for the programming.

Comment

• jables2006
                        • Dec 2015

I know what you mean about Chrysler. I live in an isolated community on the west coast where there is no longer a Chrysler dealer. It costs hundreds to take ferries anywhere. I was considering the micropod II, but at 3k us (4200cdn) + 1500us (2100cdn) for the software license annually its a huge outlay of cash. Half the customers will still go to the dealer when doing there Costco runs etc. anyway when they're travelling. I think the cardaq is a good piece of equipment.

Comment

• dhelms
                          • Dec 2015

Are you able to program new modules such as a WIN module or TIPM modules with the Micro pod? I have the PTP3 that I use to reflash modules but looking for something to initialize new modules.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                            • Apr 2011

If you buy the micropod 2 along with the diagnostic and software subscriptions, you basically have the full diagnostic tool that chrysler dealers have. You can program anything you want, with exceptions of course depending on what chrysler says, even the ones you mentioned. But at that price, you better do like 3 cars a day or something, it's very expensive. Good luck!

Comment

Working...