Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ralleman
    • Sep 2016

Can I fix this ? registration issue

I can buy a Modis with the following error message. Can I do a software restore or somehow fix this ?

thanks Rik
    Attached Files
  • ToltecasChavez
    • Apr 2011

I purchased a snap-on tool from ebay and it came with this message. ONly ones who can fix this are the snap-on truck guys. If they want to, mine didn't and I returned the tool. Members here told me to call snap-on first and give them the tools part number to make sure its not stolen or still have a lean. If it's cleared then you should talk your snap-on truck dealer and he will not have an excuse. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Edit: I just noticed I didn't answer your question, lol, sorry. In my opinion, I would NOT buy the tool. It's a hassle and you will have to pay the snap-on guy to activate it. That's if he wants to. Good luck!
    Last edited by ToltecasChavez; 09-17-2016, 11:26 AM. Reason: Answer original question

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

In my experience when I called Snap On credit to have them run a serial number of a used Solus unit to see if there was unpaid debt or if it was on a stolen list, they couldn't do it, but if I could provide the previous owner's full name and address and phone number and date of purchase , she could check that way. What a Crock of Sh@t.
      I would ask the present owner what update level it was at, shipped when new and if not too ancient, agree to meet him at a shop near where he lives on the day when the Snappy Dealer shows up , and if he can perform a factory restore you will buy the tool for agreed price and pay $50 extra to the dealer for his time if he can restore it to the lastest update level it was upgraded to.
      Keep in mind it's got to be about 8-10 years old already now, and you have a very small window of time to come up with a Grand it will cost to do the final update you be able to get for it.
      Last edited by Witsend; 09-17-2016, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• ralleman
        • Sep 2016

Thanks guys
        I won't be buying it. Called the local snap on guy and he didn't know anything about fixing it. Everything he did got send in to SnapOn which will probably drive up the cost quickly.

I know it is an older tool but I was under the impression it did the same things as a newer model , just with an older interface and slower ?

What do you mean with short time frame ? Is this year the last update for this modis ?

I borrowed a friends Solus Ultra and I liked it a lot. Made my want to get snapon unit instead of an Autel. And I would really like a scope /component tester hence my desire for a 4 channel modis. You think it is too old? I work on US cars from the midfities to now. Newest cars I see are 04. So if I upgrade I could use it till 2016 cars which is several years away

Thanks Rik

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

The 16.2 was the final update release for the original Modis and once 16.4 comes out October 1st, not sure you still be able to still get 16.2 or send it in for any needed repairs after October 1st.
          I think Snappy should continue to offer the final updates of the non supported scanners for another decade at like $500 a pop. Could still make money and keep budget challenged folk from buying Chinese tools and never looking back.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
            Snap-on DSD
            • Aug 2007

This message appears on a new, unsold, unregistered Modis. If you want that message to go away, and have a regular Snap-on dealer, all he has to do is register the unit. It is free for him to do this, but it will take the better part of an hour or so if his time..so don't blame him if he is hesitant to do it.

You other choice is to buy an update for it. If you want to do that, you have about 1 week to make that happen, then it's over. You can't buy an update once 16.4 comes out.

Joe
            "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
            Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

This message appears on a new, unsold, unregistered Modis. If you want that message to go away, and have a regular Snap-on dealer, all he has to do is register the unit. It is free for him to do this, but it will take the better part of an hour or so if his time..so don't blame him if he is hesitant to do it.

You other choice is to buy an update for it. If you want to do that, you have about 1 week to make that happen, then it's over. You can't buy an update once 16.4 comes out.

Joe
              As far as finding a Snap On Dealer willing to accept $50or so for an hour of his time to register and unlock the unit at whatever update level the unit is presently at, is that also only about a 1 week window to be able to do that ? If so is this something logistically that a Snap On Dealer in the Netherlands would have to do at 3:00a to make sure the serial number is not on the Illusive Sh@t List before he can get the unlock code?
              Last edited by Witsend; 09-18-2016, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                Snap-on DSD
                • Aug 2007

It is pretty unlikely that it is stolen if it was never registered. It may even be one of the gray demo units that were never for sale. If it is one of those, it can still be updated without any troubles....as long as it happens before the dealer changes over to the 16.4 update.

Joe
                Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

If someone has a older unit that is acting flakey or locking up that is either being caused by a software or hardware related problem, can they update the unit's software, but if it still does not resolve the issues because the root cause of the problem is a hardware issue, can the new update be erased and the unit just be restored back to original shipped settings and the cost of a the new update be refunded? I think with Autel , if you buy a total care update if the unit is messed up they'll swap out the entire head for $300-$500

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                    Snap-on DSD
                    • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
                    If someone has a older unit that is acting flakey or locking up that is either being caused by a software or hardware related problem, can they update the unit's software, but if it still does not resolve the issues because the root cause of the problem is a hardware issue, can the new update be erased and the unit just be restored back to original shipped settings and the cost of a the new update be refunded? I think with Autel , if you buy a total care update if the unit is messed up they'll swap out the entire head for $300-$500
                    No. If you buy an install an update, you own it.

Joe
                    Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

No. If you buy an install an update, you own it.

Joe
                      Suck to be out a grand and then have to send a long in tooth platform in for repairs besides. Wonder, for Good will ,the least they could do is if the tool doesn't work satisfactory for 30 days, issue you update credit minus the $20 cost of the SD card to use to update another platform after the tool guy wipes the card.

Comment

• ralleman
                        • Sep 2016

Thanks for the info guys , didn't get the one with the error message. Like Witsend said there is no way to ship it home and update it in a week.
                        Bought one on eBay with 16.2 for $800 without the scope leads and adapter / keys.

But I have got most of those with my MT2500 so I think I got a good deal. Had it send to a friend in Arizona and he will try it while the unit is still in the USA so I can return it it doesn't work.

Any susgestions for a low amp probe ? Is it worth it to get the SnapOn one ?
                        What else should I get to get the most out of my modis scope ?

Thanks
                        Rik

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

Snap On Scanners sold here in the USA generally need to be at one point or another in time, at additional cost to get the European car coverage unlocked, because here stateside as far as I know Snap On scanners sold in the USA only include standard coverage for the North American market models and Asian Model cars sold in North America that we are likely to see here , not vehicles typically found in Europe and Australia geographic market we don't see in the USA. If it is a USA market Scanner with unlocked European car coverage , the European Cars included are only North American market sold cars of European Marques in North America Region
                          If I brought my POS port freight 08 to Japan, Europe , China, Australia It has the Global market menu selection to select Turds over yonder as well as Turds in my backyard.
                          Last edited by Witsend; 09-20-2016, 11:46 AM.

Comment

• ralleman
                            • Sep 2016

I only work on american cars so that won't be a problem for me.
                            Everything from muscle cars to a '04 Escalade yesterday.

Comment

Working...