Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phill57
    • Oct 2007

Saving and organizing Presets

It would sure be great if Snap-On could improve the saving and organizing of presets. I have around 80 home made presets for specific tests and sorting through them is very inconvenient at best. The system won't allow you to create folders to organize them more efficiently as it only sees presets in the last saved folder (if you have created sub folders). Worse than that is when you save a preset you are given the option to add notes to help yourself or someone else in the future make the connections or analyze the results but you never see these notes again unless you view the preset in SSC. I have included a couple screen shots. I know Wheel will remember we lost this capability with 10.4, that was 7 years ago. On another note I find the current version of SSC painfully slow to start and open folders, so much so I don't even try to use it anymore. If I want to review a scanner or scope recording that may not be tied to a work order I navigate to it using windows file manager and just double click to open it with Scanner viewer or the scope viewer.
    Attached Files
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

You think Maybe It got intentionally downgraded for a reason that if Data Manager worked too good folk just might decide to forgo Shop Key and get by with just that? Nah
    Last edited by Witsend; 12-18-2017, 07:15 PM.

Comment

• Wheel
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by phill57
      It would sure be great if Snap-On could improve the saving and organizing of presets. I have around 80 home made presets for specific tests and sorting through them is very inconvenient at best. The system won't allow you to create folders to organize them more efficiently as it only sees presets in the last saved folder (if you have created sub folders). Worse than that is when you save a preset you are given the option to add notes to help yourself or someone else in the future make the connections or analyze the results but you never see these notes again unless you view the preset in SSC. I have included a couple screen shots. I know Wheel will remember we lost this capability with 10.4, that was 7 years ago. On another note I find the current version of SSC painfully slow to start and open folders, so much so I don't even try to use it anymore. If I want to review a scanner or scope recording that may not be tied to a work order I navigate to it using windows file manager and just double click to open it with Scanner viewer or the scope viewer.
      Time to show again what was lost:

20110430-1947-1.jpg

The additional preset information that we write is needed WHILE we are in scope mode - we should not have to jump through hoops to access this information WHEN AND WHERE WE NEED IT !!! Where is the logic in allowing us to write this descriptive information down for our use if we are to be deprived of the means to use it to help us select the correct preset when we need it most? Why not just take away the ability to write this info down at all - we can't use it anymore anyway since 10.2.Since Snap on lobotomized this feature since 10.4 and kept it that way, why not just remove the preset feature altogether?

You see, there are very similar presets we use with very subtle differences, and just the name of the preset is not nearly enough info.
      The whole purpose of presets is to save us time, right? if not, then why do they exist? Every time a preset is chosen, it takes the scope time to set it up - then oops, wrong preset! now multiply that by how many similar presets you have to wade through because you didn't have the info at hand available to make the right choice, and you have just wasted more time than if you did it the hard way and set up the scope manually. That's why I say to Snap On fix it or just get rid of it.
      Like it is now, if they could change it to where we could tap a button once to preview our setup info in a box at the bottom of the screen then either tap the same button again to go on to the preset, or have a button in the box with our info to go on to the preset - or something like that.
      This mistake has gone on for 7 years now. Past time to correct it.
      You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Wheel
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
        You think Maybe It got intentionally downgraded for a reason that if Data Manager worked too good folk just might decide to forgo Shop Key and get by with just that? Nah
        I assure you it was deliberate. Whoever makes the decisions on what goes into the equipment seems to get their jollies by removing useful features from their equipment or making sure new tools lack many useful features of their predecessors - just for spite. You don't "accidentally" make such stupid mistakes and not correct them - especially if your customers repeatedly ask you to - it is deliberate and for spite.
        You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

Working...