Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

Tpms3

Ok, about two weeks ago I received my Snap-on TPMS3. Up until now all my shop had was an old Schrader TPMS activation tool, with no screen or data cable. If I had to write a new sensor to a vehicle and my Verus and Modis could not do this I had to borrow a friends Bartech 400. Now on several makes if the Bartech was not available to me I would have to break the tire down to get the sensor ID, very time consuming! I started saving for the Bartech and depending on where I shopped prices ranged from about $1500.00 to $2300.00, that’s a big variable! The TPMS3 is on the lower end of that price. The Bartech has good vehicle coverage and is simple to use. So my dealer gets a TPMS3 and brings it to my shop, I never gave it back! For the past 2 weeks every car that came in no matter what it was for if it had TPMS I was all over it, even the lady with the 2010 Land Rover that just wanted directions (Sorry!). Vehicle coverage far exceeds the Bartech, although I will never see many of these it has exotics like Maserati and Tesla, it will even do Honda motorcycles! Navigation of the tool is simple, it has Snap-on’s standard 4 way arrow pad, Y and N and Power buttons along with a Test button. It comes with a very durable docking station that the tool can sit in for storage, battery charging tool update and to down load it’s info to a PC for printing or to save. Tool update and registering went flawlessly, and it’s a very easy to use. The display shows tire pressure, temperature, sensor battery life and sensor ID. The only thing that the Bartech shows that the TPMS3 doesn’t is sensor manufacturer, i.e. Schrader, TRW. However to date I have never been asked for the sensor manufacturer when ordering a new sensor so I do not know how important that is, but it would be nice to have. I maybe jumping the gun here as the tool was just recently released but the reason I put this post up and in this area is because there are a few things on my want list, if anyone has anything else on this tool feel free to post!
    1. More information on this tool and how to operate it correctly on Snap-on’s website, a video or two would be nice. There are some on YouTube already, but they need to be better.
    2. A vehicle coverage sheet that is updated as often as the tool is.
    3. Update information with approximate cost of update and how often they will come out.
    4. Sensor manufacturer, again I don’t know how important it is but would be nice to have.

valves.txt

tpms3_npa.pdf

Steve
    Last edited by Steve6911; 03-06-2011, 05:59 AM. Reason: Added Files
  • Rich Barton
    • Sep 2007

Tpms

Morning Steve,

Man you got all the toys

The snappy tpms is made by ATEQ.

Snappy added the docking station.

This is a good tool.

The thing that makes this better than the bartec400 is the free updates or close to it, if I remember right.
    the Bartec are about $290.00 a year.

I did reserch on this tool a while back and it come down to the bartech 400 and this one as the best ,Reviews were 50/50 as to which one to own.

Hope this helps
    Rich Barton
    C.R.B. Repair

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

Ive had mine for almost two months now and like it alot. I've tried to make a video of how cool this thing is to use to program sensors on Hyundais and some other imports, but when I aim the camera at the screen all I get is glare and in reality it's not that hard to see. There are a lot of car manufacturers listed in the menu but some of these are sensor read only and the reset and programming must still be done using an OEM scanner, Suzuki is one that comes to mind. Other reset procedures still require the vehicle to be put into learn mode using door lock switches or other prompts. It also checks for signals from key FOB remotes and even some garage door openers. All in all a good tool and a big improvement over the OTC TPMS tool I had before.

Comment

• timstech
        • Dec 2010

would this relearn,or id 1 new sensor replacement on a 2009 civic

Comment

• greasybob
          • May 2008

Originally posted by timstech
          would this relearn,or id 1 new sensor replacement on a 2009 civic
          Yes. It's in the relearn menu, read sensors and connect to OBD port

Comment

• greasybob
            • May 2008

TPMS3 demonstration

Here is little Video I made demonstrating how the new TPMS3 works when relearning the sensors on most of the Asian vehicles I've encountered so far. Hope the video quality is good enough, the back light on the tool turns on everytime you give it a command and my camera doesn't adjust fast enough. In reality , the screen is very visible. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejUGTSHV_Rk
            Last edited by greasybob; 03-14-2011, 07:34 PM.

Comment

• timstech
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by greasybob
              Here is little Video I made demonstrating how the new TPMS3 works when relearning the sensors on most of the Asian vehicles I've encountered so far. Hope the video quality is good enough, the back light on the tool turns on everytime you give it a command and my camera doesn't adjust fast enough. In reality , the screen is very visible. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejUGTSHV_Rk
              nice job bob,I am going to get one of these

Comment

• Skip
                Super Moderator
                • Apr 2008

What does this do that the scan tool doesn't?

Comment

• greasybob
                  • May 2008

TPMS3 and The Verus

I wrote some on this in another forum on here, I beleive it might be in the Solus forum. There are still some vehicles where the new registration numbers can not be entered with a Snap On scanner. The second reason is that some vehicles only record and display on the scanner the last good information it recieved from the sensor. If a wheel was put on the vehicle without a sensor or a sensor was installed and not programmed, the scanner will display the numbers from the last sensor that was on that position. You need both a scanner and a good TPMS tool to troubleshoot these kind of problems unless you want to dismount the tires. The TPMS3 is to a tire pressure sensor what a scope is to an engine component, back door and front door information, if you got that tire light on , you need both to diagnose it.

Comment

• Skip
                    Super Moderator
                    • Apr 2008

Thanks Bob, I think I should pass this along to the scanner group.

Comment

• kmcauto
                      • Mar 2011

tpms

Thanks bob, Its my first time using my new tpms3. I've never done any work with tpms systems before and was nervous about wiping out computer on 2010 nissan rogue. I did exactly what you did after rotating tires - No Problem. Bought the tool primarily to meet requirements of a fleet account but I can see this generating a tidy little profit. What are you guys charging for this service?

Comment

• greasybob
                        • May 2008

TPMS3 and The VERUS

Here is a video demostration of why you need both a scanner that can access the vehicles TPM module and the TPMS3 to diagnose a TPM trouble code. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwz9Jdvx5Cg

Comment

• Steve6911
                          • Feb 2007

Ok, so now I've had my TPMS3 for about 2 1/2 years now and the tools gets better with each update. On my last update I saw a new menu to update the TPMS3PRG. I called tech support to find out about this. Turns out it is a new add-on you can purchase to do the aftermarket programmable sensors, it is a one time purchase and then updates with the rest of the tool. It is just an SD card that goes in the side slot and a activation code. Well as it turns out a few lucky people like myself and GreasyBob have one of the first units out that do not have this external SD card slot. Tech support told me to purchase the update and have my vendor send the tool in for repair along with the update package and they would install it in the tool for FREE! This way we are not being punished for being the first kids on the block with one. Just waiting for the update to come in now!

Steve

Comment

• hefaus
                            • Dec 2007

Just have to say Am

Originally posted by Steve6911
                            Ok, so now I've had my TPMS3 for about 2 1/2 years now and the tools gets better with each update. On my last update I saw a new menu to update the TPMS3PRG. I called tech support to find out about this. Turns out it is a new add-on you can purchase to do the aftermarket programmable sensors, it is a one time purchase and then updates with the rest of the tool. It is just an SD card that goes in the side slot and a activation code. Well as it turns out a few lucky people like myself and GreasyBob have one of the first units out that do not have this external SD card slot. Tech support told me to purchase the update and have my vendor send the tool in for repair along with the update package and they would install it in the tool for FREE! This way we are not being punished for being the first kids on the block with one. Just waiting for the update to come in now!

Steve
                            I was Bored So I just Bought an Autel MaxiSys Pro. Am so excited to play with it when it arrives Any Questions Will Know more when it arrives. Sorry Snappy Scanners This one is serious trouble. Read the reviews. Just Loving getting a new toy for Christmas. A retired not wanting to yet.Keeps My two brain cells working. Loving this Retirement stuff. Enjoy. I envy the new Group of As I am A Lic Auto Repair person 1956 1969 Loving my trade. I must sell My Family for so many years. Any interest.... Later Just so Re excited..

Comment

• Steve6911
                              • Feb 2007

Hi Austin

Very Happy to hear that you are enjoying Retirement so much and that you were able to make it out with still 2 brain cells intact!!! I wish I knew what boredom was like, but with everything going on retiring or being bored does not seem like it will be an option for me. Not sure why you posted about a full blown scanner in a tire pressure monitoring tool post but it has peaked my interest. Like you I have a Maxidas 708 and from what I can see the Pro is going to use the same base software as the 708, like the Solus to the Verus just with more toys. I find the 708 is an OK tool, many of the tests do not work and many incorrect PIDS. I get a kick out of the incorrect spelling and translations. I looked for the reviews you spoke about on iAtn and Googled for them and came up empty, could you please post some links as I would like to see what people have to say about it. Repost once you get it and let us know how you like it!

Steve

Comment

Working...