No More GM RPO Stickers

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glide
    • Jan 2015

The only "legal" requirements for VIN is that the first character is the country of manufacture, 1 and 5 are US,2 is Canada,3 is Mexico,etc.,and the 10th character is the year.The other numbers and letters are manufacturer specific.
    As you go through manual vehicle selection,most if not all Snapon scanners tell you on the screen which VIN position to look at.

Comment

• Crusty
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Glide
      The only "legal" requirements for VIN is that the first character is the country of manufacture, 1 and 5 are US,2 is Canada,3 is Mexico,etc.,and the 10th character is the year.The other numbers and letters are manufacturer specific.
      As you go through manual vehicle selection,most if not all Snapon scanners tell you on the screen which VIN position to look at.
      There is a whole lot more to a VIN than that.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Glide
        • Jan 2015

Read things before you post them.Positions 1,2 and 10 are the only specific positions named.the other mandated positions are general areas such as 3-8,the last 8,etc.
        We who actually work on many brands of vehicles understand this and see it every day.

Comment

• Crusty
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Glide
          Read things before you post them.Positions 1,2 and 10 are the only specific positions named.the other mandated positions are general areas such as 3-8,the last 8,etc.
          We who actually work on many brands of vehicles understand this and see it every day.

How about if YOU "read things before you post them-!!!

I guess this wasn't in your previous post.....

""The only "legal" requirements for VIN is that the first character is the country of manufacture""

Now you say that 1,2 and 10 are mandated....
          There is a lot more mandated than just 1. 2 and 10 if YOU decide to read the government document instead of spewing BILE much like other sites put up with.
          I pointed out what GM have been doing for over 30 years with the 4th, 5th and 8th and 10th digits so others could make use of those FACTS.
          I've been working (and FIXING) many brands for over 45 years every day and understand that there is a LOT of good information within a VIN.
          Along with that, there is information that the VIN alone will not tell us.
          YES, We who work on many brands of vehicles understand this and see it every day. THAT is why the VIN is the FIRST thing I write down and enter into my shop system under the customers vehicle file card EVERY TIME, and have been doing that for DECADES.
          The RPO labels on the vehicles was a very good thing and it's sad that they've decided to save the 3-1/2 cents per vehicle by removing them.

HAVE A NICE DAY......

Comment

• SnapOnKid
            • Jan 2011

Don't worry, You can get certification for that...
            Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

Uh-Oh, Crusty might be right about it's not a question of if but when the internet be down. Looks like Snappy might have bought You Tube and we're all gonna have to pay for a 6mo subscriptions to Mitchell Shop Tube soon.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...