Gen2 Modis or Gen1 Verus

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Prezauto
    • Dec 2014

I need more insight on which tool to keep.

I'd like to know the update costs for each unit, as well as feedback from those who have used both tools. You know the "if I knew then what I know now" stuff.
    John

Comment

• chaskuss
      • Dec 2009

Thanks for posting the additional photos. I did a quick Google search on that Sharp IC on the daughter board. It appears to be either a co Processor board or an upgraded CPU & more. See the data sheet below.

From microcontrollers and processors to sensors, analog ICs and connectivity, our technologies are fueling innovation in automotive, consumer, industrial and networking.

This daughter board appears to have been installed to upgrade the power of this Modis.

You had earlier asked if I knew what Generation your Modis is. Since you did not post any edge on photos of the front [where lab scope connectors are] I can not see if it has a USB port there. If it's a Gen 2, it will have one. Also look for a mini USB port on the left [as you would normally hold the scanner] side of the motherboard.
      If it doesn't have USB ports, I think it's a Gen 1 that had a factory upgrade performed on it.
      Next to the Sharp chip on the daughter board, there is another chip which I "think" says Exlink. Can you read that chip for me? Again, the resolution of the photos is not high enough and the chip is upside down.
      Charlie

Comment

• hhong12dlm
        • Mar 2013

Perhaps you could pick up one of those Harbor Freight carts, to set it all up on. They are cheap enough. I've been thinking of getting one & using an external monitor. FYI, AESWave makes a very nice set of extra long lab scope leads for Snap On scopes. The perfect thing for a Modis on a cart.
        I put together a cart a while back and I ran into a couple of issues ,
        If you plan on mounting the monitor to the lid, and storing the Modis
        in the top compartment make sure its deep enough so the monitor
        will have clearance with the lid shut, to be able to lock it .
        Another thing to consider is the angle of the lid when open, it may affect your viewing angle of the monitor.
        I bought a ATD-7045 cart which has been working out pretty well so far along with a side shelf for my laptop.
        The AES Modis test leads are top notch quality wise too.

Comment

• Prezauto
          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by chaskuss
          Thanks for posting the additional photos. I did a quick Google search on that Sharp IC on the daughter board. It appears to be either a co Processor board or an upgraded CPU & more. See the data sheet below.

From microcontrollers and processors to sensors, analog ICs and connectivity, our technologies are fueling innovation in automotive, consumer, industrial and networking.

This daughter board appears to have been installed to upgrade the power of this Modis.

You had earlier asked if I knew what Generation your Modis is. Since you did not post any edge on photos of the front [where lab scope connectors are] I can not see if it has a USB port there. If it's a Gen 2, it will have one. Also look for a mini USB port on the left [as you would normally hold the scanner] side of the motherboard.
          If it doesn't have USB ports, I think it's a Gen 1 that had a factory upgrade performed on it.
          Next to the Sharp chip on the daughter board, there is another chip which I "think" says Exlink. Can you read that chip for me? Again, the resolution of the photos is not high enough and the chip is upside down.
          Charlie
          It has the USB in the left grip for sure, can be seen in first pics of board. The Sharp chip is definitely the ARM processor it lists in windows system info on the tool. The whole "daughter board" looks like a RAM/CPU combo, the one side definitely looks like a RAM socket. Sorry for resolution on pics, only camera I have at the shop is my iPhone, plus its easier to use photobucket app than website (too many sites with different password requirements ).
          John

Comment

• chaskuss
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Prezauto
            snipped
            I just realized in that last pic the scope & scanner board is printed with "2002",
            I would not put to much stock in that 2002 date. That may simply be the date of a patent. My Gen 2 Modis has info with earlier dates on it. Anyone know what year the Modis was introduced?

Comment

• chaskuss
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Prezauto
              snipped, only camera I have at the shop is my iPhone, plus its easier to use photobucket app than website (too many sites with different password requirements ).
              The weird thing is, I have a Photobucket account. I was able to copy the first photo you posted from the Photobucket site. I then edited it and saved it to my hard drive. I tried to do the same thing to the last batch of photos. I wanted to rotate the daughter board photo to read the other chip. I was able to download them, but they were corrupted. I tried multiple times, without success.
              Can you go into your iPhone's settings and increase the camera's resolution? Could you email me the 2nd batch of photos? While signed in to this site, click on my user name. Click on send email from the pop up menu. You won't be able to attach the photos from there. Once I receive the email, I can respond. From that point, you could attach the photos.

Comment

• Trindaddy
                • Jan 2010

You guys got guts. I haven't comitted myself to this level of intervention yet. If the ol' girl breaks from here I know who to call.

Comment

• chaskuss
                  • Dec 2009

No problem

Originally posted by Trindaddy
                  You guys got guts. I haven't committed myself to this level of intervention yet. If the ol' girl breaks from here, I know who to call.
                  I've been building computers for myself, my family and friends since 1994. We ain't afraid of no ghosts! I'm happy to help. First time I opened up a Modis, I wrote down detailed instructions on how to do it. It's actually not very hard, or time consuming to do. Most problems are caused by dirty or oily contacts. Just be sure to use standard "anti static" procedures. [ie wear a grounding strap] Although that's hardly necessary here in SE Florida. Very rare is the day it's not oppressively humid here.

Charlie
                  Last edited by chaskuss; 01-07-2015, 03:59 PM. Reason: added last two sentences.

Comment

• Prezauto
                    • Dec 2014

Originally posted by chaskuss
                    I've been building computers for myself, my family and friends since 1994. We ain't afraid of no ghosts! I'm happy to help. First time I opened up a Modis, I wrote down detailed instructions on how to do it. It's actually not very hard, or time consuming to do. Most problems are caused by dirty or oily contacts. Just be sure to use standard "anti static" procedures. [ie wear a grounding strap] Although that's hardly necessary here in SE Florida. Very rare is the day it's not oppressively humid here.

Charlie
                    Similar history here. Plus I have an old friend who does pc repair on the side, he's always buying broken monitors & laptops on ebay, fixing & reselling. The Modis is rather simple to dissassemble..Verus however, not so much.
                    John

Comment

• scottmechanics
                      • Jun 2013

The modis

Like the pictures all good and the old modis dose need a few tweaks
                      I,am thinking of some sort of battery adaptation like Milwaukee redlithium-ion
                      14volt the charger are good and battery last longer than my snapon battery
                      Or any ideas you guys have

Comment

• chaskuss
                        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by scottmechanics
                        Like the pictures all good and the old modis dose need a few tweaks
                        I,am thinking of some sort of battery adaptation like Milwaukee redlithium-ion
                        14volt the charger are good and battery last longer than my snapon battery
                        Or any ideas you guys have
                        Scott,
                        That's not a bad idea. You'd need to simply rig up a wire harness and input connector to go into the 12-15 volt DC receptacle for the AC to DC power adapter. Have you ever disassembled a cordless drill battery pack? I have, it's just a stack of sub C cells. Pretty much the same as what's inside of the Modis battery pack.
                        Here in the "colonies", there are two outfits that offer to rebuild [replace the cells] your Modis battery pack for about $50 to $60. For you, shipping would be a pain and expensive. I'm sure with a little research, you could find a company in the UK that offers the same sort of service. If you can find a rebuilding service locally, it would be as cheap or cheaper than the "cordless drill battery pack" idea, without the kludge.

Comment

• Modis500
                          • Sep 2012

Charlie,

I sent you a PM about the memory sticks, but one last question. After I add the addl memory, will I need to reinstall my update? I'm going to do 14.4, but that'll be a couple months down the road. Should I do the memory upgrade right before installing the update?
                          That's my last question for now.
                          Tom
                          "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
                          Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Witsend
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2012

I'm going to do 14.4, but that'll be a couple months down the road. Should I do the memory upgrade right before installing the update?
                            I wouldn't wait til after the update is installed to have things go wrong ! I would go to Utilities and change the time and date to tomorrow's date if reassembly will be completed the next day.Power it down .and pull the CF Cards. IF it were me , I even try replacing the old CMOS Battery while jumping 5v supply to USB port of board, ( if CMOS battery is over 5 years old.) When these things go dead they can make the unit think it's Y2K again and you'll have to have Christopher Loyd and Michael J Fox go back and steal the Chip out of Arnold Swartzeneger's nose to terminate the future error messages and add Delorean to Obd1 and OBDII Domestic coverage for 15.2 , so wait 6 months.
                            Last edited by Witsend; 01-09-2015, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• Prezauto
                              • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Witsend
                              I wouldn't wait til after the update is installed to have things go wrong ! I would go to Utilities and change the time and date to tomorrow's date if reassembly will be completed the next day.Power it down .and pull the CF Cards. IF it were me , I even try replacing the old CMOS Battery while jumping 5v supply to USB port of board, ( if CMOS battery is over 5 years old.) When these things go dead they can make the unit think it's Y2K again and you'll have to have Christopher Loyd and Michael J Fox go back and steal the Chip out of Arnold Swartzeneger's nose to terminate the future error messages and add Delorean to Obd1 and OBDII Domestic coverage for 15.2 , so wait 6 months.
                              Lmao very entertaining and informative answer.
                              John

Comment

• chaskuss
                                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Modis500
                                Charlie,

I sent you a PM about the memory sticks, but one last question. After I add the addl memory, will I need to reinstall my update? I'm going to do 14.4, but that'll be a couple months down the road. Should I do the memory upgrade right before installing the update?
                                That's my last question for now.
                                Tom
                                I can not see how that the memory upgrade could affect the software bundle upgrade. The software bundle upgrade goes into the CF [Compact Flash] card under the left hand grip. The memory upgrade goes onto the mother board. If you have any concerns at all, just do the memory upgrade first.
                                Must make sure you don't spill any MGD onto the mother board and short the whole thing out. Then we would have to call you Witsend Junior. I think Witsend's recent warning is based on personal experience.
                                Charlie

Comment

Working...