Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stioc
    • May 2017

New MODIS owner - need some help with parts/accessories

I just purchased a MODIS on ebay with the 14.x update on it, yay!. Unfortunately nothing is included with it At a minimum I'd like to buy: the scope leads (are these like std DVOM/DMM test leads or specific to this unit?), an OBD2 cable, connector and a few basic keys like global OBD2, Honda, Nissan etc. Where besides ebay is the best place to buy these at a reasonable cost?

Are any/all of these parts compatible with the MT2500 or other Snapon products etc? That might help broaden my search. Thank you.
  • hhong12dlm
    • Mar 2013

ebay is a good place for odds and ends, If you need test leads and basic scope
    leads clips adapters, take a look at aeswave.com .
    I have the test drive lead set for modis and like those a lot.

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

Jeez , I think I would look for a co worker or friend with an old working Verus or Modis that will let you borrow their cable and OBD connector, keys , and scope leads to see if it works ok , "LIKE IMMEDIATELY". Did you buy it not knowing what it included? Without any cables, probes ,or connectors sounds like something that's not going to work and being parted out.Try the leads of another tool first (don't buy them yet) and if it doesn't work , return Modis while you can.

Comment

• ralleman
        • Sep 2016

I bought a used Modis too , I used my cables and connectors and keys from my red brick. I bought a amp clamp and induction pick up and a sec. sign adapter and leads from Ebay. So far i am really pleased with it.
        I have version 16.2
        Wish I could make a back up of my software though

Comment

• stioc
          • May 2017

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I did know that it didn't include anything except the unit itself, several folks sell them that way. I haven't gotten mine yet but I'll test it when I do. The seller has good rating on ebay so hopefully it doesn't have any issues. Unfortunately I'm not a service tech so no one to borrow the leads from. I'm just a DIYer with a disease for pro tools

The red-brick being the MT2500?

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

You never know if it might even be a repair tech from Snappy. Maybe selling off old repos , and the ones that techs sent in for repairs that be too much $ to fix, so they cannibalized the good parts off parts donors ,repair the ones they can and clearing out the old un supported stuff.

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
              • Jan 2015

Modis cables, keys etc

Hi stioc, yes everything for a red brick MT/MTG2500, Ethos, Solus or Solus Pro will be suitable for your Modis.
              Check prices on Snap On website to compare to eBay prices too, as ' sometimes ' eBay sellers " might " be more expensive than Snap On 🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀🙀

Comment

• stioc
                • May 2017

Thank you Kirk! As for the snapon prices being less...not in my lifetime But that sure would be nice. If any of the SnapOn big-wigs are reading here, I think snapon diagnostic tools are THE BEST, no one can touch them in terms of their advanced features, ease of use and coverage. It's just too bad I (as a serious DIYer) can only afford them several years later when the pros upgrade to the latest and the greatest. Sort of like driving a 2010 BMW 750iL on a 2017 Yaris budget

Comment

• louis@csowp.com
                  • May 2017

New Modis

I also just purchased a modis and I have all of the accessories. Many are duplicates for me and would be happy to sell them. Let me know if you are interested?

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
                    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by stioc
                    Thank you Kirk! As for the snapon prices being less...not in my lifetime But that sure would be nice. If any of the SnapOn big-wigs are reading here, I think snapon diagnostic tools are THE BEST, no one can touch them in terms of their advanced features, ease of use and coverage. It's just too bad I (as a serious DIYer) can only afford them several years later when the pros upgrade to the latest and the greatest. Sort of like driving a 2010 BMW 750iL on a 2017 Yaris budget
                    Trust me on this, I have seen ' some ' prices on eBay.co.uk and eBay.com that would seriously make your eyes water compared to the budget prices Snap On would like.

Example here :- http://www.ebay.com/itm/S-44-Snap-On...EAAOSwXYtY2q32

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

Trust me on this, I have seen ' some ' prices on eBay.co.uk and eBay.com that would seriously make your eyes water compared to the budget prices Snap On would like.

Example here :- http://www.ebay.com/itm/S-44-Snap-On...EAAOSwXYtY2q32
                      $100 for a S-44 personality key is ridiculous. Is there something special or collectable about that personality key? Does it have a story behind it like some famous Hollywood personality once wore it decoratively on body piercing or used it as a crab comb?

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
                        • Jan 2015

Nope, the S-44 is ' just ' another key, mostly used for can-bus connected vehicles, and has a few smd components soldered to it.
                        So it usually is around 45% of this from Snappy themselves.

Comment

• stioc
                          • May 2017

Thanks all, I forgot about this thread. I'm all set with my Modis. I pieced together a good enough kit for now:

1. Wall charger (will have to get the dead battery rebuilt)
                          2. 12v cigarette plug
                          3. OBD2 cable
                          4. K20 key along with 3 others for my personal cars
                          5. A new lead set
                          6. Secondary ign probe
                          7. Pico low amp clamp

Now it's on to learning to understand the waveforms as well as being able to analyze the data to troubleshoot issues. I'm a computer nerd in my day job so this is so far quite fun. I'm actually considering buying a basket case of a car to use as my 'lab'. Ideally though I wonder if a small independent shop would be willing to hire me for no cost so I can get some real world experience in diagnostics? I'll have to ask around.

Comment

• waxerk5
                            • Aug 2017

Originally posted by stioc
                            Thanks all, I forgot about this thread. I'm all set with my Modis. I pieced together a good enough kit for now:

1. Wall charger (will have to get the dead battery rebuilt)
                            2. 12v cigarette plug
                            3. OBD2 cable
                            4. K20 key along with 3 others for my personal cars
                            5. A new lead set
                            6. Secondary ign probe
                            7. Pico low amp clamp

Now it's on to learning to understand the waveforms as well as being able to analyze the data to troubleshoot issues. I'm a computer nerd in my day job so this is so far quite fun. I'm actually considering buying a basket case of a car to use as my 'lab'. Ideally though I wonder if a small independent shop would be willing to hire me for no cost so I can get some real world experience in diagnostics? I'll have to ask around.
                            I'm just like you with the purchase and the aspirations to learn this stuff. What secondary ignition probe did you end up purchasing? My Modis came with a bunch of leads and cables, but nothing for secondary ignition, nor a low amp probe or high amp.. I'm finding some good stuff on AESwave.com

Comment

Working...