Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • woodardjp
    • Jun 2014

MODIS error HELP!!!!!!

ok here is the low down . The MODIS I have was included with the shop that I rent . I really do not use it that much as I have other diagnostic goodies I use but now it has an error . Which the building owner has put on me to have it repaired . when you turn the MODIS on it starts out with the following:

Pocket CMD v 5.o
    registering COM servers - please wait

after 2-3 minutes it starts to load the scanner then gives the following message before it locks up

Application Sacnnerdownload.exe has performed an illegal opperation and will be shut down

Program: Scannerdownload.exe
    Exception: 0XCOOOOOO5
    Address: E1DE0080

I talked to my Snap-on rep about it all I was told was around$3k to repair and update it . Personally I do not want to drop 3 grand on something that is not mine nor did I cause the issue .

Any thoughts or ideas I am open to anything at this point .

By the way the owner wants it repaired and back in his hands to boot .
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

Just repair it, and don't update it. That will lower the price.

Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• woodardjp
      • Jun 2014

That would save some money I agree , but my Snappy rep says they won,t repair without updating . Which I know is a total line of bull .

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

I would call Tech Support myself. 800-332-2526. See what they have to say.

Joe
        Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

Blodis Modis

With unit powered off remove the internal battery (inspect and test it with a DVOM ) Remove the CF cards and check the contacts are clean.
          Plug the external power source cord into the Modis and try to power on the unit on with the cards and the internal battery removed and see what screen says. ( Never remove or install the CF cards with power on). Shut unit down and remove external power.
          Take your CF cards and place it in a card reader in a PC, preferably with a Linux based OS and see if you are able to at least view and read the titles of the files without any messages saying the files are corrupt and card needs to be formatted before it can be used .
          If the file names can't be viewed and message says card needs to be formatted before it can be used, figure that even if the unit hardware does has a problem , you would at lest know beforehand the software is likely FUBAR also and be hit for the cost of an update besides just the unit hardware repair.
          I don't think they will reformat an old card and load an old software version back on it, but I might be wrong .

Comment

• woodardjp
            • Jun 2014

Ok with battery and CF card removed the scanner just says no valid CF card found please insert card etc etc .

I do not have a CF card reader to check the card itself .

Tried with the card in and no battery same result as before . I am going to see about getting a card reader and will post resulats as soon as I can .

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

If the card is corrupted and needs a reformat , you still want to make sure a hardware issue isn't at the root cause of problem , and the corrupt software isn't just a consequence of it before you update it, and tell the owner that you're deducting the update costs from your rent.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                Snap-on DSD
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by woodardjp
                Ok with battery and CF card removed the scanner just says no valid CF card found please insert card etc etc .

I do not have a CF card reader to check the card itself .

Tried with the card in and no battery same result as before . I am going to see about getting a card reader and will post resulats as soon as I can .
                It is really unlikely that a card reader is going to help you diagnose it, and impossible that it is going to help you repair it.
                Also, it is impossible to quote the repair without knowing what is wrong with it. The repair department won't quote a price without seeing the unit. (this is like diagnosing a car over the phone and then sticking to your estimate).

Call Tech Support. They will let you know if it needs to go in for repair. If it does, they will quote the price after they check it out, and not until then.

Joe
                Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

If the software on the CF card is corrupted bad enough that the Modis won't boot and load it, I would think if you were able to put it in any $20 USB Micro Center card reader, plug it in a PC and tried to view or copy the files, the PC might tell you that certain files of it are unreadable , corrupted, missing , or just say the card needs to be formatted ( you will lose all data if you do format it , so don't ).
                  Computer savvy geeks often have home built towers running a Linux based OS with removable drives that they can plug any sort of hard drive or card and get a health report on the drive or card in minutes, and might be able to use programs to recover lost files, reimage it and repair it enough, so it at least boots up to tell the owner He just needs to get updated card. It's Windows based so it slowly goes to Sh@t over the years and OS has to get a fresh install .
                  I think a newer windows 8 computer seeing a protected proprietary Windows based data card might just deny access to view any contents of a protected card entirely , playing stupid and say the card needs to be formatted before it can be used without disclosing further information as to what is actually wrong with the card's contents.
                  I figure at the very least know in advance before even talking to a tech support or sending unit in for repair that you'll know what's on the card is trashed and that a new software install will likely be added to the bill with any needed hardware repairs done to unit.
                  Might be cheaper to take risk, and sell it as is on Craigs needing repair for $300 versus spending for a diag fee., a Snap On Dealer likely sees it ,buys it off Craigs, repairs it, and updates it at his much lower cost. You go on to Ebay , bid and win a fully updated used Modis for $1500 ($1200 out of pocket if you deduct the $300 you sold broken one for)). You go to owner of shop and ask him to split the $1500 price because of the fresh updates , He begrudgingly knocks $750 off next months rent for the updated tool. Final cost out of your pocket is only $450 ( if that Modis off Ebay isn't broken too, LOL)
                  Last edited by Witsend; 06-11-2014, 09:43 AM.

Comment

• woodardjp
                    • Jun 2014

Talked to tech support . Tried a few things that I have done myself , but I did them again and same result . He advised me to have my Rep do a device recovery and says that should get the problem worked out . We will find out on Thursday and I will let you know what happens .

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

That would be great if that worked. Hope it all works out well with minimal incurred cost . I think the Windows CE must be built into the device and not on the proprietary CF card itself. I would still see if I could view the CF card files are intact first
                      If your Rep is actually of help and doesn't play dumb because he wants to sell you a new Modis Ultra, watch how your rep does the Device Recovery and take notes or better yet , do it your self with tech support downloaded instructions on how to perform procedure yourself , LOL
                      Maybe just as simple as pulling out the CF card , powering on unit and simultaneously holding or tapping another button to open a diag menu. I'm wondering if a board inside it might have a weak replaceable CMOS battery (for time and date memory) that should be replaced every 5-7 years like most laptops or PCs. Like any PC or Laptop out of warranty, I wouldn't be afraid to pull regular power battery and cards , open unit carefully myself and take a good look inside it , gently blow any dust out , remove and reseat ribbon connectors , and remove and replace the CMOS battery if it tests weak.
                      Then and only then would I let a Rep on the Tool Truck that quoted $3k to repair it , to even touch it, LOL
                      Last edited by Witsend; 06-11-2014, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• woodardjp
                        • Jun 2014

well a quick update . was going to talk with my rep today , but for the 2nd week in a row he didn't stop . no actually he pulled into our parking lot and took off in less than 30 seconds . Time to call the rep I had for 15+years and just deal with him .

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

Can't tech support e mail you simple step by step instructions on how to perform the Device Recovery procedure yourself.
                          I sincerely doubt it would be so complicated and stupid , that some Anally proprietary OS has to be authorized and downloaded after Snap On Brass gives the OK that gives the rep the phone number to get the Window's CE license key and he has to reinstall the entire OS by USB cable and telephone support from New Deli , India .
                          If that is the case and he saw young man waiting with Modis in hand , he got the Heck out of there before his whole day be spent there , LOL

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                            Snap-on DSD
                            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
                            Can't tech support e mail you simple step by step instructions on how to perform the Device Recovery procedure yourself.
                            The device recovery done by a dealer will format and reload the CF card so it can be installed just like a new update. If there is a problem with the card, the Dealer Scanbay system should spot it and return an error message. Then they will know that a new CF will fix it. Tech Support can send a replacement, or the customer can just buy a CF update.
                            Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2012

Device or card recovery

So then it's the CF card formatted that contains the scanner auto repair software and the serial # security key being freshly reloaded on the Formatted old card or a new replacement CF card , not the actual device itself being recovered. How much time and how much $ to try that seems a fair price ? Is the Actual Windows CE OS on the card though?
                              If not what about the actual Windows CE OS of the device somehow getting restored in a non destructive manner from a hidden partition ,? If the OS isn't on CF card , then what's inside the device that's looking for the missing CF card? . If the CF card is out of the device , is there some sort of button combination sequence on power up that can be initiated, that starts up something like a scan disk that may find and repair some errors, or at least list internal self check test results on screen , so you can take a photo of all the device errors sans card and have tech support tell you something like . "If all the ribbon connectors are inserted properly inside , then chances are the MOBO is toast and likely a Level x repair that typically be x$ besides anything else we find wrong
                              Last edited by Witsend; 06-12-2014, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Working...