Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • diesel71
    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by greasybob
    I'm re-running the test now with the different convertor. Data looks better, about 80 and 20 ppm. You can exit the test with the Verus once it's running and it'll still run. Then you can go into the regular data menu and save the test data. We'll see if this passes now. It's interesting, when you watch the data it takes a minute or so to see a response in the down stream N0x sensor after the DEF is injected. It's not an instantaneous thing. Maybe just data lag or a slow chemical re-action ?
    the ppm sound way better. id say it may take a minute or 2 for the sensor to react, exhaust flow/ temp and chemical reaction like you said. let us know the outcome.

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

The test timed out. I'll take it for attest drive tomorrow morning and try the test again. There is a lot of resets and functional tests related to the reductant system. I'll have to get it all sorted out. When to perform what. what is the "Reductant System Malfunction Service Bay Test "? I didn't see any info on it in Shop Key. How is this different than the quality test ?

Comment

• greasybob
        • May 2008

On my test drive I saw the down stream N0x sensor go as low as 2ppm while the upstream was still around 100ppm. I don't know how efficient you can get or the parameters of this thing setting of the warning. If you think about it, you inject a 2/3 water solution into 400 degree exhaust I would think it evaporate quit quickly. So what's left is this crystalized urea. Does it get immediately used up (transformed) or does it "coat" the surface of the catalyst ? Maybe the problem is just a N0x sensor with a slow response time. I'll do the stationary test again and see.

Comment

• greasybob
          • May 2008

The stationary test passed this time. I'll post the good vs bad data later, for future reference.

Comment

• greasybob
            • May 2008

So here is a test drive with old SCR cat with the Low Quality DEF warning in the information display. And a test drive under very similar conditions with the replacement SCR cat. Notice the difference in the upstream (No.1) NOx sensor and the down stream (No.2) NOx sensor.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

You're lucky, here in Illinois the Auto Recyclers don't seem to want to sell any Take Off used Cats and believe they actually told me it is not legal in Illinois to resell used ones. I complained that they were taking the manifold Cat off a used Honda 1.7 engine I was purchasing , even though I said I would return the core manifold cat with the old motor. Had to buy a new one from Rock Auto.

Comment

• diesel71
                • Feb 2008

Bob you did some great work and thanks for the test results always good to see cause and effects. this is one way I learn so thank you. the quality test does what it says its testing the quality of the urea and making sure the system is reacting right. the system malfunction service bay test is like a koer test it checks everything it can on the system in the service bay without driving to help find/clear a issue.

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

I think I would've tossed a couple Diesel Imodium tabs in the Urea tank and called it a day

Comment

• DoctorD907
                    • Mar 2015

Greetings

Thought I would drop in and say hello and wish you all a prosperous year ahead! Good to see GBob is still knocking vehicle repair and diag out of the park. Take care everyone.

Comment

• Crossland Auto
                      • Jul 2014

Blast from past.

It has been a while since I have lurked, or checked in. (I have a lot to back up and read.)

I have had an issue with a local credit card processing company offering better prices lately. I allowed the rep to see our bill. He promised to save over $100.00 per month. I asked for his rates in writing, he refused since I could use the proposal as leverage with my current bank. (I get it to a point.) I told him I had to think about it. I then started researching the company. Google reviews were terrible. BBB were even worse. When he showed up today, I politely declined his verbal offer and pre written contract. He asked why I did not want to sign. I only replied about the BBB complaints. He immediately gave up, shook my hand and walked out. My cameras show him walking out of the office, then getting on his phone. 1 minute and 45 seconds later, the company calls. Long story short, they have called 3 times in 2 hours claiming all of the bad reviews are their competitors. After 3 hang ups on them. they quit. I became a little paranoid, and started looking for recent reviews on my shop, in case they were that malicious.

(Now back story is laid out, the reason for the post.)

I Googled shop name reviews. This old OD5 thread showed up.

Was great to read it all again.

X

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

Glad you're still turning wrenches Craig. Lol , 3.1 intakes in less than 2 hours is really moving. Damn I always removed them rockers and didn't know there was a cheat way around that. always took my time , sealant and lock tighted bolts and torqued the lower intakes, (liked the kits that supplied the new coated lower intake bolts) always hoping they might go another 75k . Now I know how they come up with some of the Warranty flat rate labor times.

Comment

• STURNER
                          • Oct 2014

So the Solus Ultra is pretty disappointing when it comes to data and functions on late model Nissans. I'm thinking its about time for the OE Consult III. I was wondering if any of you guys on the independent side were using it and your thoughts.

Comment

• greasybob
                            • May 2008

I have 1976 or so CAT 950 wheel loader here. The problem is with the injection pump or more precisely with the governor. Normally you can't press the throttle until the engine spinning, now you can't apply throttle even when the engine is spinning. This makes me believe it is a governor in the pump that is the problem. If any has any experience with this or a parts break down of the pump I would appreciate it. Number on the engine is 81J2947.

Comment

• Witsend
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2012

You just don't know if that Governor's about to make a run(away) for the Senate

Last edited by Witsend; 03-11-2018, 08:06 AM.

Comment

• Matt
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by greasybob
                                I have 1976 or so CAT 950 wheel loader here. The problem is with the injection pump or more precisely with the governor. Normally you can't press the throttle until the engine spinning, now you can't apply throttle even when the engine is spinning. This makes me believe it is a governor in the pump that is the problem. If any has any experience with this or a parts break down of the pump I would appreciate it. Number on the engine is 81J2947.
                                I've got a couple of cousins that work for a local cat dealer. Ill see what I can dig up.

Comment

Working...