Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kebo1970
    i replaced a pcm on a 2003 honda civic and had to call a locksmith to program the security system to the pcm. today i had a 1997 Q45 infiniti with a security issue; again i had to call a locksmith
    This is not a tool issue it is a legal issue. Even if the tool could program keys you would need a Locksmith license to get the key codes. Locksmiths pay good money to be bonded and insured and then belong to certain assocations to be able to get these key codes, which can also cost $$$. Maybe we could start a poll and see if techs would be willing to go through the time and expense of this before S.O. puts the time in to add this function.

Steve

Comment

• kebo1970
      • Nov 2008

security

Originally posted by Steve6911
      This is not a tool issue it is a legal issue. Even if the tool could program keys you would need a Locksmith license to get the key codes. Locksmiths pay good money to be bonded and insured and then belong to certain assocations to be able to get these key codes, which can also cost $$$. Maybe we could start a poll and see if techs would be willing to go through the time and expense of this before S.O. puts the time in to add this function.

Steve
      in texas the license is $195, but you would still need multiple scan tools to program different makes.

Comment

• Steve6911
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kebo1970
        in texas the license is $195, but you would still need multiple scan tools to program different makes.
        OK, I am not sure about Texas, But in my past reasearch on this I thought this info was nation wide. Please correct me if I am wrong. To start with you need to join NASTF ( National Automotive Service Taskforce),through them the aftermarket was able to get security system access SDRM (Secure Data Release Model), then you need to join ALOA (Associated Locksmiths of America). There you can register as a VSP (Vehicle Security Professional) and get a VSP number which is what you need to "PURCHASE" PIN numbers from the manufacturers. As an example Chrysler charges $20.00 per PIN number. Then if you have the correct tool you can enter that number in the correct module and be on your way. To get a license in your area may only be $195.00 but you have to take a test also. There are several different licenses you may need. My Locksmith just retested and said he "only got 85%" on the test. This is after being in the field for 15 years. He has been my locksmith for 10 years and has never let me down and shown me a lot that I didn't know. So if my info is correct it is not just as simple as getting a tool to do the job. As I suggested start a poll and we will see how many tech will go through this process. It is much easier for me to call my locksmith and pay the $75.00 for him to do this then I can get on with the rest of the programing. Even if in some areas you don't need a locksmith license you do to join ALOA.

Steve

Comment

• kebo1970
          • Nov 2008

programming

you are correct(steve6911) if you want to program all makes and models. its not as much paperwork if you only want to do 3 or 4 different makes. i should've been more specific.

Comment

Working...