OK, how do you know which "block" is what?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickb
    DSD
    • Aug 2007

Go to this site and scroll down. There is the Export mode and normal manuals in here. Great info

DSD

Comment

• Trindaddy
      • Jan 2010

Blockhead

Here lies the basis of my dissatisfaction. As nick just pointed out, there is some very general info regarding expert mode. Given the complexity of this breed of data list, this info is helpful but hardly useful. When trying to diagnose cars like Audis, where much money and labor is on the line, generic charts as such just won't cut it. You simply dont know for sure what the 4 lines of data are within each measuring block, PERIOD! Here is the summary of what i pulled from the S.O. manual:
      "08-Read Measuring Value Block
      This function displays measuring value blocks. After entering a valid block number, data values or
      text are displayed. There is no description of the data value, only the value and unit is displayed.
      For interpretation of the values, refer to the VAG system specific workshop manual"

In conclusion, Steve, there is nothing left for you to research as tech support has already revealed to me the problem with the "short list" that sometimes isn't there as i already stated (thanks anyway).
      The real problem is the above line from user manual. You see, i also pay for "Shop Key", which is why most people dont have the so called "user manual" for every car. Lets please just call this what it is, USELESS. Without the data to identify the block values built into the snap-on software or the ability to look it up on Shop Key, Snap-On isn't helping us at all when it comes to the strongest part of the VW/Audi diagnostic tool, especially when some cars don't even have the "vehicle specific", "non-expert mode" data list. Now, that we have identified the problem, maybe we can focus on a real resolution (Snap-on).

Comment

• Trindaddy
        • Jan 2010

No replies? Am i the only one who has uncovered these flaws? Where am i going wrong here? Can someone pass this through to the SO team for deliberation as i've seen with other flaws/weaknesses?

Neil
        Last edited by Steve6911; 01-16-2011, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• Steve6911
          • Feb 2007

Neil
          I am sorry, some how I missed your last post. No you are not the only one to uncover these flaws. I recently worked on a VW with a BBW engine, it was not supported by Snap-on, OTC OR VCDS. Reports were made to all. Sometimes a vehicle gets missed. When you find an error, report it here on these forums BUT have all the needed information. Year, Make, Model, first 10 digits of the VIN, engine size and with VW or Audi engine code, ABA etc. Report exactly what is happening. Snap-on does monitor their own forums and many changes/new features/corrections have been made from posts here. I know its far from perfect but could you access the engine in Global OBDII? Once again Expert mode should only be used if you have ALL the correct information. Even Ross-tech will tell you that http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/index.html

The Bentley Cd's that Ross-tech recommends are great or you can go the the facorty sites to get the info you need, as that is what I do if I am going to use expert mode.

Audi: erwin.audiusa.com
          Volkswagen: erwin.vw.com

Steve

Comment

• Trindaddy
            • Jan 2010

Hi Steve, thanks again for your input. You are truly a "super duper" moderator.
            On that particular car, what i wanted to see was the 2 different coolant temp sensors (one at rad one in block). OBD worked but didnt help my diagnosis in this case (coolant temp code that was resolved, luckily, by a new thermostat).
            I have discussed this issue with many people. Including the local Audi guru. Sometimes it seems like people who work on exclusive cars are less likely to offer you the good tips! Anyhow, i haven't looked at the VW sites you posted yet but am intrigued. First i heard of to look there! I should have looked at the OEM site myself! I hope they have info specific to each vehicle.
            Steve, you are obviosly well informed, thank you for taking the time to close this case.

Sincerely,
            Neil

Comment

• phill57
              • Oct 2007

VW and Verus 10.4

I too have run into similar issues with various VW's. Frustrating but I had scanned several regular customer's cars using the non-expert mode which will greatly assist in interpreting the data in a normal format. Unfortunately with the 10.2 software update this mode will not work due to a programming glitch. As far as I know this glitch on 10.2 affects the Modis and may affect the Solus Pro. When I called tech support I was instructed to use expert mode. I said that there is no guided help as you mentioned and even the instructions on which personality key to use are missing. The tech support guy basically said I was out of luck and the problem with the 10.2 software is fixed with 10.4. As usual I/we are expected to pay for an update to fix errors. This is not right.

I agree that Shop Key/Mitchel and Alldata have very limited information on the data blocks unless you are following a specific trouble shooting chart.

Comment

• Trindaddy
                • Jan 2010

Whew, for a while there, i thought it was just me. By the way, i have 10.4. It aint fixed. Thanks for the input Phill.

Comment

• phill57
                  • Oct 2007

Problem not fixed with 10.4

That just sucks. Exactly what problem were you having on the VW with 10.4. I used the Verdict with 10.4 and it seemed to work fine but when I tried to access data in the "user friendly mode" with my verus and 10.2 software the page that loads is some kind of Dynamic Pump Timing procedure and not live data as it should be. I know it worked previously with the 9.4 as I have saved recordings for several Jetta Diesels in this mode.

Comment

• Trindaddy
                    • Jan 2010

Hi Phil. Although it seems we are both on the same page we seem to be experiencing different problems. I had an issue where the "non-expert mode data list" was not present, leaving you stuck with deciphering expert mode. Again, S.O. tech support confirmed that some models are missing this choice. They offered no solutions except to say that they were aware of the problem. I havent seen your glitch yet, but im using the Modis w/10.4. Still, these are just oversites and gliches. I would like to be able to use expert mode on these cars and take it to the next level, but without the info on the tool or shop key its just a waste of time. Of course this becomes a real problem when you dont have the "friendly" data stream that Steve thoughtfully tried to show me where it was (he used a model that wasnt screwed up). Im just glad someone else has recognized that this expert mode is just that. If you aint a VW/Audi expert (complete w/ ALL the manuals and factory, vehicle specific, info) this powerful section of the Euro software is a joke. No response from the S.O. engineering guys thus far. At least an acknowledgement would be nice. Buying a Launch X431 Master in a few weeks to fill the gaps. Cant stand it anymore (having one tool and no back-up plan that is).
                    Last edited by Trindaddy; 02-03-2011, 06:52 PM. Reason: Unclear comment

Comment

• Steve6911
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by phill57
                      That just sucks. Exactly what problem were you having on the VW with 10.4. I used the Verdict with 10.4 and it seemed to work fine but when I tried to access data in the "user friendly mode" with my verus and 10.2 software the page that loads is some kind of Dynamic Pump Timing procedure and not live data as it should be. I know it worked previously with the 9.4 as I have saved recordings for several Jetta Diesels in this mode.
                      Phill57
                      OK, this now makes more sense! I did not answer your previous post because I had been trying to find the answers. From that post I "assumed" it was an across the board problem not just on Diesels. I made three different calls to tech support and contacted several people on your problem. I was told by everyone the only BIG issue they had with the software in 10.2 was with Diesels. If you look at my screen shots that was with 10.2 software. This is why when we post about problems we need to include Year, Make, Model, Engine code (VW/Audi) first 10 of the Vin and software version. Then a detailed description of the problem. So yes in 10.2 there was the problem you are talking about, has it been corrected? I don't know for myself, when I get a VW diesel in I will check and post.

Trindaddy
                      I know what you are going through, been there myself MANY times. Information on vehicles are getting harder to get, worst being Euro's. Many have now put their infomation into the scan tools, SO..... when you go to look up a procedure you will find no info in Shopkey or Alldata and they will state there is no published diagnostic information on this vehicle. Snap-on is trying to combat this with things like their Troubleshooter and Ask-A-Tech. A Euro troubleshooter would be great!
                      As for missing vehicles,tests and data PIDS, yes some do get past the developers and the Beta testers, but if all the needed information is posted it can be verified and corrected. NO scan tool is perfect not even OE's, but I can tell you first hand that Snap-on is working hard to make their tools as best as possible. As far as the Launch goes, I have an older one... Big and SLOOOOOW. Yes it does have somethings at times that S.O. misses. Their Domestic is poor and best, Asian is Fair, their high point is Euro coverage. They recently came out with a Euro only version. I have not tried it yet it's around $1,800.00
                      I would see if you could demo one before buying.

Steve

Comment

Working...