What test or features would you like to see added to you Snap On Diagnostic tools

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SnapOnKid
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by terryj
    the immobilizer systems will not prevent tow away thefts but they slow down joy rider thefts. Winnipeg Manitoba went from about 900 thefts per month in 2004 to 372 per month in 08. The theft rate is still falling. Part if this due to the much hated immobilizer program sponsored by the insurance company.

These stolen cars where being driven with a I don't care attitude and killing and injuring bystanders.
    Don't worry. There letting all the non violent criminals back out since the can't affoard to watch them all. The numbers will go back up eventually as a result.

Comment

• sbreland73
      • Jan 2009

Anti-theft

OK, seems to be a bit of aggravation over this topic, and I can certainly agree, it stinks we as techs can't get in and diagnose/repair some of these systems.
      CONSIDER THIS: A tech decides fixing cars is no longer what he/ she wants to do, they would rather steal them. If they own a scan tool that has these capabilities, then they are free to roam around and steal whatever they have access to. Also, if just any ole person can buy a scantool, then thieves would have easier access than they already have. My take on the matter is this: if a person REALLY wants your car, they ARE GOING TO FIND A WAY TO TAKE IT! So the manufactures are trying to limit who has easy access. One reason that a LICENSED LOCKSMITH has access to these systems, and can get key codes from the dealers. The wife and I both have Acuras, I hope we never have to have an issue with the immobilizer system, or its going to the dealer, but I am glad to know someone can't just stick a halfway made key in, and wait 30 minutes to burn off with my car (referring to GM lines, any one of us could circumvent that system easy). My 2 cents.
      S. Breland

Comment

• Wheel
        • Jul 2007

What did 11.4 cross off of YOUR needs list?

With the coming of 11.4 it's time to revive this good thread with the question -
        What, if anything did 11.4 cross off of YOUR wants/needs list?
        Any new additions to the list?
        You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Trindaddy
          • Jan 2010

Some things that need attn:

1- 2004 Dodge Ram R2500 5.9l diesel Vin: 3D7KU28C94G183946

No access to HVAC module. No codes, no data, unable to diagnose intermittent operation of mode door/no defrost!

2- 2001 Volvo S60 2.4l non-turbo Vin: YV1RS61N112004640

No PCM data! Hangs and glitches when trying to see PCM data. Data for other available modules ok. This has happened on more than 1 Volvo we have scanned since it was introduced on the S.O. software. We have also opened a case with tech line many months ago.

We are using a Modis w/11.2. Just so ya know. Keep up the good work. Neil

Comment

• SnapOnKid
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Wheel
            With the coming of 11.4 it's time to revive this good thread with the question -
            What, if anything did 11.4 cross off of YOUR wants/needs list?
            Any new additions to the list?
            Im still waiting for my update... Hopefully this weekend...

Comment

• ephratah service center
              • Oct 2007

I just want Snap on to not take away any more of the test that are built in the tool and to display all the pids that are available.

Comment

• Wheel
                • Jul 2007

I just thought of something I would like - remember on the old Brick
                when you just got that new cartridge only to find out there was a bug
                in its software preventing you from scanning a given car? No problem, you just pop in your previous cartridge and go right back to work. Not so with the modern offerings.

With the more than adequate space available on the drives of the new tools, it would be nice if it could be arranged to have 1, 2, or more of your
                previous updates available that you could readily access and fall back on
                WHEN you encounter such a bug in your new software. Hey, buggy software is a fact of life and a feature such as this, while not perfect, might
                at least help us finish a job we got started and not be caught with our pants down ( a truly ugly sight !! ) I know the legacy software sure helped
                a lot of Modis users in the past - one reason I wouldn't mind buying another one someday.
                You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                  • Jan 2011

I just thought of something I would like - remember on the old Brick
                  when you just got that new cartridge only to find out there was a bug
                  in its software preventing you from scanning a given car? No problem, you just pop in your previous cartridge and go right back to work. Not so with the modern offerings.

With the more than adequate space available on the drives of the new tools, it would be nice if it could be arranged to have 1, 2, or more of your
                  previous updates available that you could readily access and fall back on
                  WHEN you encounter such a bug in your new software. Hey, buggy software is a fact of life and a feature such as this, while not perfect, might
                  at least help us finish a job we got started and not be caught with our pants down ( a truly ugly sight !! ) I know the legacy software sure helped
                  a lot of Modis users in the past - one reason I wouldn't mind buying another one someday.
                  Funny you mention the modis. My dealer received a modis that a customer bought back when they first came out. He had is own shop but sold the shop around the time he bought the scanner. He wants to trade it in for truck credit.... While its essentially brand new the software only covers up to 04 still trying to find out if the software can be brought up-to-date with out having to send it in for upgrades...

Comment

• David Green
                    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by SnapOnKid
                    Don't worry. There letting all the non violent criminals back out since the can't affoard to watch them all. The numbers will go back up eventually as a result.
                    No need to two vehicles away anymore, I was at a police seminar a while back and they showed us how the criminals take the vehicles away today

They have a 16 pin harness and some sort of pickup ring on it, they plug into the vehicle and put a key in the ring then the vehicles computer scans it and codes it and then in seconds they start the vehicle anddrive off

Good old manufacturers, will supply anybody

David

Comment

• DougMontgomery
                      • Jul 2007

With the more than adequate space available on the drives of the new tools, it would be nice if it could be arranged to have 1, 2, or more of your previous updates available that you could readily access and fall back on WHEN you encounter such a bug in your new software.
                      Wheel...such a feature is a nice. I have such a feature in my Launch Diagun...and sometimes I need to utilize it. Also, does S.O. have a logging capability? That feature is useful when a module does not show up, you can't communicate with a module or a error/crash occurs. You could email directly from the tool the log to S.O. and hopefully get an update to determine if it is fixed

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                        • Jan 2011

Got my 11.4 Update. Will have to play with it this week. I can already see Visually they changed some of the symbols and added more color.

Oh Shiney... Wow... Now what can do that it didn't before....

Comment

• Wheel
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by DougMontgomery
                          Wheel...such a feature is a nice. I have such a feature in my Launch Diagun...and sometimes I need to utilize it. Also, does S.O. have a logging capability? That feature is useful when a module does not show up, you can't communicate with a module or a error/crash occurs. You could email directly from the tool the log to S.O. and hopefully get an update to determine if it is fixed
                          That ain't a bad idea! It would be nice if Snap on had a feature in the tool when some glitch, fault, or data omission happened,
                          whereas you could launch this program from a menu, which would then automatically capture all the info they needed - vehicle info, software version, screen shots, program or hardware errors, and any other info they might need, then prompt the user for any added commentary, then save it to a special file which could then be e mailed to tech support. This would help them better fix problems and thus eliminate any excuses.

Once again, great job on the Ford seminar in Springdale.

Comment

• Bob's Garage
                            • Nov 2007

SSI files and Event log

Originally posted by DougMontgomery
                            Yes, Doug the there is a utility on Verus and Verdict that stores some files- "SSI". If you hold the S button down for several seconds, it will create an SSI file in a .zip format. It will take to the location in the "C drive". It is a folder labeled "System State Information".

There also .evt (event log) files that can be mailed. It is under Control Panel> Administrative Tools>ComputerManagement Folder. Ypou are able to create an Event log there. I can add more details later.

Those are the useful files for the Snap-on developers, as well as screenshots leading up to or during the error.

Bob

Comment

• Wheel
                              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Bob's Garage
                              Yes, Doug the there is a utility on Verus and Verdict that stores some files- "SSI". If you hold the S button down for several seconds, it will create an SSI file in a .zip format. It will take to the location in the "C drive". It is a folder labeled "System State Information".

There also .evt (event log) files that can be mailed. It is under Control Panel> Administrative Tools>ComputerManagement Folder. Ypou are able to create an Event log there. I can add more details later.

Those are the useful files for the Snap-on developers, as well as screenshots leading up to or during the error.

Bob
                              Interesting. If Snap On could streamline, dummy - proof, and add to
                              this procedure a bit, it would sure help dummies like me to in turn help them.

Comment

• DougMontgomery
                                • Jul 2007

Bob,

Thanks, I'll make sure to advise my audience when they ask.. However, I have to agree with Wheel. A simpler procedure that all techs know would be much more beneficial to Snap On's cause.

Comment

Working...