Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eddiesverus
    • Dec 2008

I want to scan all modules for DTC's

I've been asking this for a while now and I think that it should be brought up for attention. now that Snappy got rid of those Pesky Keys there is no excuse for not coming up with the ability to run a quick DTC scan for all modules on a vehicle. Especially CAN type vehicles. Low speed CAN and High Speed. Why does only Ford have it on older OBD2 type vehicles but not Newer CAN? We need GM Class2 DTC check and Module status test like the ones on the Tech-2. Also We Need on GMLAN aka CAN for newer GM's just like the GDS and Tech-2. My Bosch VCI and Mastertech have these features and they work good and faster than the OE tools. It allows me to read all Dtc and clear Dtc's on all Modules on the network.. Works very good.. Come on Snappy we need this, I hate having to be swapping to different tools just because one can do something the other can't. One tool should be able to do it all, and it should be Snap-On??? Here are Some Snapshots of the VCI in action running on my Verus..GM Low CAN and High Speed CAN
    20100208-1701-1.jpg

20100208-1701-3.jpg
    Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's
  • Wheel
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by eddiesverus
    I've been asking this for a while now and I think that it should be brought up for attention. now that Snappy got rid of those Pesky Keys there is no excuse for not coming up with the ability to run a quick DTC scan for all modules on a vehicle. Especially CAN type vehicles. Low speed CAN and High Speed. Why does only Ford have it on older OBD2 type vehicles but not Newer CAN? We need GM Class2 DTC check and Module status test like the ones on the Tech-2. Also We Need on GMLAN aka CAN for newer GM's just like the GDS and Tech-2. My Bosch VCI and Mastertech have these features and they work good and faster than the OE tools. It allows me to read all Dtc and clear Dtc's on all Modules on the network.. Works very good.. Come on Snappy we need this, I hate having to be swapping to different tools just because one can do something the other can't. One tool should be able to do it all, and it should be Snap-On??? Here are Some Snapshots of the VCI in action running on my Verus..GM Low CAN and High Speed CAN
    [ATTACH]8133[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8134[/ATTACH]
    Although not perfect, The Genisys has this feature. Snap On is letting OTC beat them at something again.
    You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Steve6911
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Wheel
      Although not perfect, The Genisys has this feature. Snap On is letting OTC beat them at something again.
      Tim, really??? It's not perfect but thats ok for OTC??? Why would you want S.O. to put something out thats not working correctly or perfect. I could just imagine the bashing on these forums!

Steve

Comment

• Wheel
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Steve6911
        Tim, really??? It's not perfect but thats ok for OTC??

First of all, is this an OTC forum?? No? Is it Snap On's place to fix OTC's problems? No? Then why should I waste my time posting OTC problems here and expect results?
        On an OTC site, I would be doing no different - in fact, I have mentioned a lot of my issues with their product, many of which were CORRECTED.

The statement in my post was intended to be a friendly challenge to the folks of Snap On diagnostics to deliver the same or better because I had faith in them that they could do so. If this faith is misplaced, I and I assume others would like to know.

Why would you want S.O. to put something out thats not working correctly or perfect.

Actually, they've been doing a lot of just that lately - it's called ATLAS,
        also lockups, having to often reimage - shall I go on? I'd rather not - I'll leave that for others if they feel it necessary.
        I can excuse not being perfect, and try to offer suggestions I think are helpful; what I cannot excuse is not trying.

I could just imagine the bashing on these forums!

If you think Snap On is getting picked on and bashed here, you should
        read the tool & equipment forum on IATN - Snap On , OTC, and others really get bashed there. There are routine verbal knock down drag outs
        that often border on libel or slander. This site is down right cordial by comparison. I sure hope it stays that way.

Steve
        Food for thought...
        You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Crusty
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Steve6911
          Tim, really??? It's not perfect but thats ok for OTC??? Why would you want S.O. to put something out thats not working correctly or perfect. I could just imagine the bashing on these forums!

Steve
          C'mon, they do that anyway......LOL
          The actual Air Fuel ratio was 14.7:1 and the actual Time was 14 minutes....LOL
          Somehow I don't think these screen shots are "working correctly"...LOL
          Attached Files

Comment

• Steve6911
            • Feb 2007

Tim
            This was your statement

You brought OTC into this, not me and I am aware the this is a Snap-on fourm.
            In the past you have brought to light MANY of the issues with the S.O. product line. "To me" you seem to be the type of person who wants the most from his tools and the most for his money.... which is good! So do I. I just didn't understand how if the feature is not perfect ...how was OTC beating S.O.? Companies like OTC rush to get something out the door first, faults and all just so they can say they have it first. "To me" this is not beating anyone. It took them years to resolve the code clearing issue on some Toyota when you went to read codes, this was a "smart cable issue" it didn't happen when you used the keys. S.O. took their time to do away with the keys and "I" feel they got it right. Maybe that is whats happening with this feature... And you know if S.O. did this the forums would light up so bright you'd need a Flame suit just to read them. Also yes I know how the Iatn forums are, been a sponsoring member there since 3/9/98
            So lets get this thread back on track, ok?

Steve

Comment

• Orevin
              • Aug 2010

I think AE does a good job on a network scan. Here are some examples:

2007 Nissan Pathfinder:

2002 Chrysler Town & Country:

Euro too:
              2002 Jaguar X-Type:

-Kai-
              Chicago, IL

Comment

• Trindaddy
                • Jan 2010

AE shots

Yes, it sure does. Thats nice!

Comment

• Bob's Garage
                  • Nov 2007

AE Example

Good Post Kai.

That's what needs to be shown, what other tools can do. That is usually a first step in any diagnosis, if the tool can do it, time allowing.

How long does that scan take with AE?

Thanks, Bob

Comment

• Orevin
                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Bob's Garage
                    How long does that scan take with AE?

Thanks, Bob

Depends on the vehicle. If it can auto-ID, I would say under a minute. Some vehicles take longer, Ford for instance or Nissan. It probably never takes more than two minutes. Ever done a Quick Test on a BMW with a Launch or other AM scan tool? Now that takes time. Even with the GT1 it takes forever.
                    -Kai-
                    Chicago, IL

Comment

• Wheel
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Orevin
                      I think AE does a good job on a network scan. Here are some examples:

2007 Nissan Pathfinder:

2002 Chrysler Town & Country:

Euro too:
                      2002 Jaguar X-Type:

This is nicely done. Perhaps as good as or better than a Genisys.
                      This is now achievable by Snap On since conquering the key issue.
                      Now what we all need to do is give Snap On a convincing explanation of why we need this.

As you know, the check engine light doesn't come on for a LOT of the codes today's cars generate. Therefore they often get missed because
                      a large percent of the time we are looking for engine performance codes only and these get ignored. This feature makes scanning for them
                      much easier which will make it more likely for a lazy mechanic like me to do it. This provides a better opportunity to sell work one otherwise wouldn't even know was there, and helping to do so by providing a nice printable analysis to give the customer as in the example given. Customers tend to trust the word of these machines more than the word of the mechanic using them so this is critical. This test is so fast and easy that a shop would be money ahead to do it to EVERY car that comes in for any reason, even if one had to do it for free. 1. it could generate more business 2.To cover your behind - do this before anything else and the customer can't blame you for a pre-existing problem !
                      3. it's just a good 1st step in your diagnosis as has been mentioned.

Also, this is a fantastic test to offer customers on a used car before purchasing it.

Did I miss anything ???

Comment

• eddiesverus
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Wheel
                        This is nicely done. Perhaps as good as or better than a Genisys.
                        This is now achievable by Snap On since conquering the key issue.
                        Now what we all need to do is give Snap On a convincing explanation of why we need this.

As you know, the check engine light doesn't come on for a LOT of the codes today's cars generate. Therefore they often get missed because
                        a large percent of the time we are looking for engine performance codes only and these get ignored. This feature makes scanning for them
                        much easier which will make it more likely for a lazy mechanic like me to do it. This provides a better opportunity to sell work one otherwise wouldn't even know was there, and helping to do so by providing a nice printable analysis to give the customer as in the example given. Customers tend to trust the word of these machines more than the word of the mechanic using them so this is critical. This test is so fast and easy that a shop would be money ahead to do it to EVERY car that comes in for any reason, even if one had to do it for free. 1. it could generate more business 2.To cover your behind - do this before anything else and the customer can't blame you for a pre-existing problem !
                        3. it's just a good 1st step in your diagnosis as has been mentioned.

Also, this is a fantastic test to offer customers on a used car before purchasing it.

Did I miss anything ???
                        No you didn't, Good job in posting those images, Now This is important to get into our Snap-On tools. We need this ability to quickly access all system faults on the vehicles that need to diagnose quickly and accurately. This type of testing helps prevent comebacks by checking all other system problems rather just testing one system and overlooking all the other systems that have faults. Please Snap-On work on this feature.. Thanks and we will appreciated it a lot.

Comment

• Wheel
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by eddiesverus
                          No you didn't, Good job in posting those images, Now This is important to get into our Snap-On tools. We need this ability to quickly access all system faults on the vehicles that need to diagnose quickly and accurately. This type of testing helps prevent comebacks by checking all other system problems rather just testing one system and overlooking all the other systems that have faults. Please Snap-On work on this feature.. Thanks and we will appreciated it a lot.
                          Actually, Orevin deserves the credit for the images, I just did an explanation why I felt this was needed, which you added to nicely.
                          Hopefully others will chime in with more good reasons or useful suggestions.

Comment

• Crusty
                            • Dec 2007

Another reason that i don't think anyone has touched on is that a code stored in one module may affect the operations of another module without it being readily apparent until someone knows there is a code stored and the vehicle is operating in a "fail soft' manner.
                            Here I cleared codes from the 4 modules SnapOn supports but there were still codes stored. They didn't affect the vehicle THIS time but they very well could have.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• eddiesverus
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Crusty
                              Another reason that i don't think anyone has touched on is that a code stored in one module may affect the operations of another module without it being readily apparent until someone knows there is a code stored and the vehicle is operating in a "fail soft' manner.
                              Here I cleared codes from the 4 modules SnapOn supports but there were still codes stored. They didn't affect the vehicle THIS time but they very well could have.
                              As a matter a fact, Some systems may have symptoms such a No Start and We will only look into that ECM or PCM systems only to find is had no DTC's and or Faults. Later you find that the IPC or BCM has a Theft related DTC. or better Yet you find that the REM or RIM has a DTC for a shorted light bulb or so, causing the Fuel pump not to work because the REM is self protecting it self from the overload of the shorted bulb. By running a Quick DTC system Status check, will quickly help you go straight to the module that has the Faults, Rather than scanning system by system and then realizing that cretin Modules are not even supported by your Scan tool. Then What you do. Quick DTC scan will Scan every Module on the network even though it has no support or coverage on the scan tool. At least you were able to read and clear the DTC such as in the Bosch Mastertech and VCI Module status test.

Comment

Working...