Keyless, but not wireless adapter - opinions?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wheel
    • Jul 2007

Keyless, but not wireless adapter - opinions?

This is mainly for the Solus pro, Modis, and gen 1 Verus users.

If Snap-on could make a keyless but not wireless adapter - kind of like OTC did for the Genisys - Would you be interested?

Would you rather just upgrade to one of the present offerings?

Are you satisfied with what you've got, keys and all?
    You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel
  • hefaus
    • Dec 2007

Keyless

Sure I would be interested if they made such a item.Then of course you would have to try it out and deal with more problems..Opps Did I say That.I Am waiting on my New DS 708. Should be here real soon. Kinda excited about that one.Will See. Keep Smiling

Comment

• sbreland73
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by hefaus
      Sure I would be interested if they made such a item.Then of course you would have to try it out and deal with more problems..Opps Did I say That.I Am waiting on my New DS 708. Should be here real soon. Kinda excited about that one.Will See. Keep Smiling
      Do share your thoughts please, when you get and test drive it, as this device appears to be selling like the hot cakes. Kinda feel just a few more "good tool" comments will cause me purchase one, maybe if they add a battery?

Thanks, Stacey
      S. Breland

Comment

• hefaus
        • Dec 2007

Ds 708

Originally posted by sbreland73
        Do share your thoughts please, when you get and test drive it, as this device appears to be selling like the hot cakes. Kinda feel just a few more "good tool" comments will cause me purchase one, maybe if they add a battery?

Thanks, Stacey
        Well It finally arrived. Registering and updating was easy.Works on many Vehicles Gm up and past 2011 with Tech 2 type functions. Its user friendly. I tested it out on my car 2007 Pontiac GT. Even has crank relearn for the L32 as well as the other 2 Engines. Something That I asked Snap On to fix way back. They still haven't done this for a 2007..Go Figure. just Love the touch Screen and Its pretty fast. Still trying different things that I can Study without hooking up. Actually I am Very impressed. Ordered from China,same as the US Distributor for Autel. $1120 US plus the Chrysler Adapter &42.99 Delivered to my door in 5 days, $1236 US. Keep Smiling.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Wheel

If Snap-on could make a keyless but not wireless adapter - kind of like OTC did for the Genisys - Would you be interested?

Yes I would be interested!!!

I purchased a Gen 1 Verus to use as a steady platform. It worked great when the software functioned properly. People think there worth less money because of the keyed cable but I have found my self going back to it even after trying to use the wireless module with a USB cable. It usually pulls codes fine but some of the bi-directional and Data Logging could be trouble some using the wireless feature.

I think if they revised the current unit to function like the Solus Ultra with a Key less cable and still retain the Wireless option.

Or better yet use a key less cable that plugs into a USB port like the Mongoose from Drewtech technologies.

I sold the Gen1 Unit with 11.4 coverage. For now I still have the Gen2 Unit with 11.2 and at this point I don't see the Value of updating the software just yet. Maybe 12.4 will add some of the more useful features we have been asking for.

Adding new car coverage is good but what about the stuff that's a few years old that is still missing features or not functioning properly??? What about the other Atlas software features???

Guys Please post up about the Maxidas after you have had time to evaluate it. I have heard some really good things about it and may purchase one of those instead of a future update. Snap On needs to know that for the price of an update we can purchase another tool that has capability's we need and have been asking for from there tools.

Comment

• Bob's Garage
            • Nov 2007

Autel a good supplemental scanner.

We like the Autel scanner also, it is easy, lightwieght and very user friendly and and has a lot of coverage. That said, for now it can only be a supplemental scanner.

Do not open a shop nad have this as the only scanner!!! I would not start skipping updates on Snap-on because you have an Autel now.

That said, it will expand your capabilities beyond Snap-on. They are actually a good pair in a shop with no factory scanners. Or a shop that has few factory scanners like mine.

Friday we had a huge issue with it on a 2001 Honda CRV. Customer brought vehicle in for an evap issue.

Snap-on did not cover the Evap system in functional tests so we got out the Autel scanner. IT DID IT! It performed the automated evap test. So, as far as I could tell it was only the loose gas cap.

The problem now was a false misfire code P0300 & P0304 and the MIL flashing!! There was actually no misfiring going on.

Plugged the Ultra back in and cleared the misfire code and that issue was gone.

This the first such incident with the Autel in my shop.

The other issue is functional tests that are there but really aren't. You click on the tests and it dumps you back to the menu.

And no battery? Almost a dealbreaker for me, but they have a cigar lighter adapter in the kit. If you bump the DLC connector, you will have to build the vehicle again, there is no vehicle data base.

Thanks, Bob
            Last edited by Bob's Garage; 04-15-2012, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• Bob's Garage
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Wheel

I would buy a wireless adapter, without a doubt. We have lost so many keys in the past. A keyless adapter, that would be cool.

I hate the keys and some vehicles have too many keys to do all modules.

I think it could be done, similar to the Mongoose MFC. The question is....

Would it make marketing sense? Lots of time and resources dumped into what is now, no longer sold.

Thanks, Bob
              Last edited by Bob's Garage; 04-15-2012, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• Crusty
                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Bob's Garage

I would buy a wireless adapter, without a doubt. We have lost so many keys in the past. A keyless adapter, that would be cool.

I hate the keys and some vehicles have too many keys to do all modules.

I think it could be done, similar to the Mongoose MFC. The question is....

Would it make marketing sense? Lots of time and resources dumped into what is now, no longer sold.

Thanks, Bob
                A KEYLESS adaptor would be nice but I would rather they put it INSIDE THE MACHINE the same way that requirement (personality keys) is in the Ultra.
                If they can't put it inside the SP, then make it an adaptor that is at the machine end of the data cable, rather than down at the OBD plug under the dash. Some of those are pretty restricted, to say nothing of the ones where the brilliant engineers put it right in the way of the gas pedal or brake pedal.
                This would make it usable for any previous scanner that required personality keys, including the Modis, etc.

As for Wireless....the Solus-Pro ALREADY has trouble saving screen shots & movies to a plugged in usb-stick or CF-card....LOL.....Can you imagine how slow it would be transferring wireless data???

I can see the Modis and the Gen-1 Verus not needing any further attention (only if SO wants to really make current owners so mad they go elsewhere ), but I think there are lots more Solus and Solus-Pro machines that could benefit from an improvement. I would bet more people purchased a $5,000 dollar machine than a $10,000 dollar one......

I don't think the Ultra is a viable alternative to the Solus-Pro yet (and it probably won't be for another 2 or 3 years).
                Your guys grabbing the Ultra at the beginning of the day is only because they're lazy and don't want to have to swap personality keys (and I don't blame them for that )

Other scanners that DO the tests required (as you pointed out on the Honda ) on some vehicles, then DON'T on other vehicles puts them in the same category as the SnapOn scanners and equipment that don't do all the required tests either......
                ......Something is MISSING......CONTRARY to what the advertising, carefully selected wording, leads us to believe.

I would much rather they spend the time fixing the core problems of... missing pids....and missing functional tests.....rather than on funky things like touch screens and wireless, which may be "cool" but don't necessarily make the tool any better in true basic functionality.

Getting rid of personality key swapping would make it better in a functional use category, but I can put up with keys if they improve the primary reason we purchase a scan tool......basic codes & FF, display ALL the pids and then make ALL the functional tests we require be actually in the machine and function properly.
                AFTER that is achieved, then make my life easier and faster getting rid of personality keys.

Comment

• markt
                  • Apr 2011

think i replied to a similar thread somewhere on here previously

a keyless multiplex lead would be good for the older systems snappy have sold but the way they are releasing new machines i very much doubt they ever will release one for us who still use the keyed system .

would make good business sense to them and easier to us for useage but at what cost?? knowing snap on it would be expensive i bet ? as a lot of there electronic devices are.

the only thing that worries me who has the solus pro is how long will it be continued to be supported? things are looking rough for it at our garage as it is lacking behind other gear we use as it just doesnt cut the mustard so to speak in terms of its diagnostic prowess..could be an expensive code reader if we continue with it and keep it updated. there will be some fans out there i bet who will frown at this and still consider it as the wholly grail.lol

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Bob's Garage
                    We like the Autel scanner also, it is easy, ligytwieght and very user friendly and and has a lot of coverage. That said, for now it can only be a supplemental scanner.

Do not open a shop nad have this as the only scanner!!! I would not start skipping updates on Snap-on because you have an Autel now.

That said, it will expand your capabilities beyond Snap-on. They are actually a good pair in a shop with no factory scanners. Or a shop that has few factory scanners like mine.

Friday we had a huge issue with it on a 2001 Honda CRV. Customer brought vehicle in for an evap issue.

Snap-on did not cover the Evap system in functional tests so we got out the Autel scanner. IT DID IT! It performed the automated evap test. So, as far as I could tell it was only the loose gas cap.

The problem now was a false misfire code and the MIL flashing!! There was actually no misfiring going on.

Plugged the Ultra back in and cleared the misfire code and that issue was gone.

This the first such incident with the Autel in my shop.

The other issue is Tests that are there but really aren't. You click on the tests and it dumps you back to the menu.

And no battery? Almost a dealbreaker for me, but they have a cigar lighter adapter in the kit.

Thanks, Bob
                    Thanks Bob for your honest feed back in regards to a supplement scanner! We all know know there is no 1 fix all scanner that will cover everything.

As far as coverage goes Snap On added a lot of valuable coverage it the past few years and that's why I personally decided to go that route when I chose to purchase a professional scan tool that could cover multiple car lines. I already had a tech2 because my family members and I own GM trucks and SUV's.

That being said when you evaluate the data coverage for the most common vehicles that you will encounter it is important to see what will suite a person best. With that in mind snap on had what appeared to be the most useable data coverage for my shops application. But I already knew I would need something to fill what it didn't cover. Ironically no company would allow me try some thing out for an extended period of time beyond the 2-3 hours they would come out to demo the equipment. So basically I had to line up a few of the common cars and see what coverage was there and what worked.

Now that being said SO did win that challenge for my application. But I did have to buy a Bosch M-VCI to do things like Evap test on Honda vehicles prior to 2003. And there was something else I used it for but I can't remember because It was a 1 time deal.

Don't get me wrong, I have not purchased an update for that unit either. They told me I would get 1 years worth of updates for the subscription price. I only got 1 update shortly after the initial purchase and have still not seen them officially relase a new update. They have still not released the other features that were supposed to be added either. If they have not released a new update then why sign up for another year.

Now what I do like about some of theses off shore brand scanners is there not afraid to add key relearn procedures like the factory tool. Let's say I get 10 customers a year that want to learn a new key. There usually a 50/50 chance they will spend up to $100 for this procedure. A local guy was doing a mobile service for $60 and the Keys were extra. Even at $1000 the cost of getting the licensee and the extra money for each subscription. It's not worth the hassle in hopes of actually making a profit. How ever some of these lower end tools have that feature and it does work for some of the car lines.

Any ways its nice to know we have additional options to gain the additional coverage needed. At this point in time I personaly can't justify the cost to update my SO scanner software as the newer coverage does not apply to the vehicles I commonly work on.

I have heard that full VIN entry might be back in 12.2 and if that's the case and its working properly I might have to jump into 12.4 update later this year.

BTW you would be surprised at how many shops don't have a quality scanner. And if they do its amazing how far behind it is. I have a friend that went to another shop to look over a simple problem while I was out of town. I get a call and they inform me the shop is telling them its an oil pump going bad and its going to be around 5 grand to fix... This shop has a modis with 8.2. I briefly look at the vehicle and the oil pressure is fine... The noise sounds like a broken cat converter or possibly a cracked fly wheel and a pulley or the tensioner in the front.

Comment

• Crusty
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by SnapOnKid
                      . At this point in time I personaly can't justify the cost to update my SO scanner software as the newer coverage does not apply to the vehicles I commonly work on.

The average age of a vehicle on the road, that we all work on, used to be under 5 years of age. Now the average age of vehicles on the road is over 8 years old.
                      Putting new coverage in for new vehicles is fine, as long at it is accurate and complete, BUT, how about fixing the existing vehicles and looking after the existing customers?

Comment

• greasybob
                        • May 2008

"I don't think the Ultra is a viable alternative to the Solus-Pro yet (and it probably won't be for another 2 or 3 years" Crusty

So what exactly does the Solus Pro have on the Solus ultra ?

"The other issue is Tests that are there but really aren't. You click on the tests and it dumps you back to the menu" Bob's Garage

This always adds an element of surprise to any diagnostic procedure, now you're wondering is it me ? the car ? or the scanner ?

A few weeks ago when the Autel scanner was first mentioned I found an online application chart for it in pdf format. I can't seem to find it again, if anyone could post a link I would really appreciate it. I also see that their web site has the DAS 808 listed as "coming soon " Maybe I should wait. My only complaint about the keys is that the numbers have worn off of most of them so I now have them colour coded
                        Last edited by greasybob; 04-15-2012, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• Crusty
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by greasybob
                          "I don't think the Ultra is a viable alternative to the Solus-Pro yet (and it probably won't be for another 2 or 3 years" Crusty

So what exactly does the Solus Pro have on the Solus ultra ?
                          The S-Pro can save a screen shot in about ONE second (.jpg), the Ultra takes about FIVE seconds just to take a picture (.bmp)

The Ultra is as slow as mollasses going uphill in January when you try to save data files to your computer.

The S-Pro movies display the graph in more detail in SSC where the Ultra jumps in complete full volt measurements. (both have some issue with the decimal place but at least the graph looks close to actual on the S-Pro file)

The S-Pro can save movies & screen shots in a user friendly manner where the filenames for the Ultra are computer friendly. Try and find a file 3 weeks later and identify which one you want.....

The S-P can save to internal, THEN dump to an external device. Each filename will be 001 to 056 (or however many you save). Then save files for the next vehicle and they'll all be 001 to 042 (again however many you save). The Ultra just groups them using the date and the hour of the day and in then uses 001 to 008 then jumps to 00A, 00B, 00C and then back to numeric, and then try to figure out which file was from Mrs Smiths car last March 26th sometime in the afternoon or was that Mr Jones's car in the same hour of the same day.....and wait and wait while the Ultra or your computer loads a 750KB file each time you want to just LOOK at one.....

The S-Pro is easy to keep vehicles sorted. Just make the first 001 jpg screen shot (all of one second) the VIN and that series of numbers following are for that vehicle. The next 001 shot of the vin is the next vehicle so all you have to look for is a 001.jpg file to sort vehicles, even if you don't save them to your computer (which I advise to do, where you can really keep them sorted out using folder names)
                          Last edited by Crusty; 04-15-2012, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• greasybob
                            • May 2008

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm never sure if Snap On is really building scanners for us individuals or maybe the primary attempt is to sell a thousand or even a hundred at a time to chains such as Pep Boys or Meinecke.

Comment

• Crusty
                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by greasybob
                              Thanks for clearing that up. I'm never sure if Snap On is really building scanners for us individuals or maybe the primary attempt is to sell a thousand or even a hundred at a time to chains such as Pep Boys or Meinecke.
                              Both the S-Pro and the S-Ultra have their good points and bad points. I think more thought and effort went into the Pro when it first came out. I think the Ultra was just a quicky build to create a "new" product that had no personality keys and a touch screen......I'll stop there (for now...LOL)

Comment

Working...