Keyless, but not wireless adapter - opinions?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wheel
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by BMW JEDI
    You're not gonna see a keyless adapater for older units with 15 pin data cables. Just not enough pins to get it done.

The data cable for the new Solus Ultra has quite a few more pins to enable keyless adapters.
    I don't know...I still think if OTC could do it for the Genisys and make it work, then Snap On could as well with their resources - if they had the incentive. Impressive stuff can be done with USB for example, and that's only 4 or 5 pins.
    I may be wrong, but I believe the amount of people that would buy these if available would surprise them.
    You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• sbreland73
      • Jan 2009

You would be amazed at what can be done. Remember the old parallel printer cables? Or the the parallel hard drive cables? 80 pins. Despite data being sent down the cable beside each other, it was slow as heck, compared to USB with its four pins (and two of those are power and ground). The key-less scan tools use a mixer of sorts, that is solid state in its nature to do the switching electronically. Another example in sound is Dolby Pro-logic. This system can render a "rear" channel of audio by decoding the hidden signals present in the front stereo channels. Snap-on most likely held off on this due to an increase in design, added software, and cost, as a key is simple compared to a box with more sophisticated hardware.
      S. Breland

Comment

• markt
        • Apr 2011

no reason why it cant be done with the 15 pin cable...the lead would be a multiplex lead/box like what used to be used by bosch ( U-BOX ) and the Launch X431 super 16.
        the box would be commanded via the scantool to assign the pin needed for comms to the multiplex box/lead, the signals then ruturned via any other wires/pins on the D connector end of scantool.

Comment

• sandt38
          • May 2012

I have used the Genesis with and without keys. I am definitely a huge fan of the keyless module. OTC placed the module a bit close to the DLC. It is clunky and can get in the way of your feet while driving, so hopefully other manufacturers will set the module higher up the cable.

I bought the Verus Wireless and was thrilled that I had no personality keys. Then I opened my Euro pack and saw keys . Oh well, fortunately for me, in my shop, we almost never see Euros. However, unfortunately for me, I have several friends and co-workers with Euros.

Comment

Working...