X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottjh9
    • Dec 2015

can adapter or can1b adapter

Hello all

I have one of those beginner questions again. I have been told there is a can adapter and a can1b adapter for the mt2500. I have seen photos of the can1b but can find nothing on just a can adapter. When going into global obdII on mt 2500 it says use the dl46 with s7 key, or obdII with k2a, or a can adapter. Not can1b, but can only. I have the vci programmable cartridge that shows version 5.4 for global obd. If there is a difference, what is it and what is the snap on part no. for just the can adapter if it does exist and what does it look like? As always thanks in advance......Scott
  • scottjh9
    • Dec 2015

Sorry it says dl16 with the s7 key. For European I think

Comment

• Crusty
      • Dec 2007

There are some blue boxes near the top of this page.
      I clicked on "DIAGNOSTIC PLATFORMS" and went into accessories, selected the solus platform, etc to get here

You might find more information there.
      HTH.

Comment

• BMW JEDI
        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by scottjh9
        Hello all

I have one of those beginner questions again. I have been told there is a can adapter and a can1b adapter for the mt2500. I have seen photos of the can1b but can find nothing on just a can adapter. When going into global obdII on mt 2500 it says use the dl46 with s7 key, or obdII with k2a, or a can adapter. Not can1b, but can only. I have the vci programmable cartridge that shows version 5.4 for global obd. If there is a difference, what is it and what is the snap on part no. for just the can adapter if it does exist and what does it look like? As always thanks in advance......Scott
        Google is your friend

1. CAN1 adapter has a 16-pin DLC connector molded into the cable, while

1. CAN1B adapter has 15 pin cable at both ends, allowing you to use the 16-pin DLC connector of your choosing.

Comment

• scottjh9
          • Dec 2015

makes sense

Thanks for the help.. I still cannot find a picture of a can1 adapter. I am thinking they both serve the same function making it possible for the scanner to communicate with the can bus. Finally found a picture. I did not pay attention to what BMW Jedi said at first. They do look the same except for how BMW described them. Scott
          Last edited by scottjh9; 01-21-2016, 01:08 PM. Reason: Problem solved and this is the update

Comment

• sbreland73
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by BMW JEDI
            Google is your friend

WOW! I say this to people DAILY.
            S. Breland

Comment

• Skip
              Super Moderator
              • Apr 2008

I would be surprised if Snapon still sold them. They only worked on the MT2500 and that stopped being supported 10 years ago.

Comment

• BMW JEDI
                • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Skip
                I would be surprised if Snapon still sold them. They only worked on the MT2500 and that stopped being supported 10 years ago.
                They don't....

In this case, ebay is your friend!

Comment

• crackerclicker
                  • May 2008

The CAN adapter isn't necessary if you have a genuine VCI cartridge.

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

The CAN adapter isn't necessary if you have a genuine VCI cartridge.
                    I think a genuine Snap On VCI (black)cartridge upon vehicle entry still prompts the use of the Can 1 B or DL16 connector and s7 key or whatever s key when required.

Comment

• crackerclicker
                      • May 2008

Originally posted by Witsend
                      I think a genuine Snap On VCI (black)cartridge upon vehicle entry still prompts the use of the Can 1 B or DL16 connector and s7 key or whatever s key when required.
                      It might, but I never needed it. The DL16 would make sense, though.

Comment

Working...