X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twincity
    • Feb 2008

Requirements for MDI and Tech2Win

Hello,
    This question is for members who are actually using the GM MDI and Tech2 Win software. I would like to know what I will need to buy in order to use this setup? Specifically, laptop specs, which GM subscriptions to purchase in order to use the MDI and use the Tech2 Win? Also, does the MDI have the capability to "initialize" modules without the Tech2 software?
    Sorry for all the questions; but I work on several GM vehicles and feel I need to make this investment for the soon future. I Just need to find out what the initial start-up cost will be.
    Thank You,
    Robert
  • USpMD
    • Oct 2010

for the latest info see...

from here you can decide which way you want to go, for subscription info and costs see...

Mdi works very well with SPS, and along with tech2win you can do anything the tech2 w/candi can do as well as all 2010 GDS2 and foreward vehicles, but this will require a complete subscription @ $3100 year, or if late models are not required use the MDI and SPS with tech2win for all the not so new models, see vehicle coverage and requirements at these sites
    "I wanna help the helpless, but I could careless about the clueless". Dennis Miller

Comment

• Orevin
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by USpMD
      for the latest info see...

from here you can decide which way you want to go, for subscription info and costs see...

Mdi works very well with SPS, and along with tech2win you can do anything the tech2 w/candi can do
      Usinf Tech2Win, you can do almost everything the T2 can do. Here is a link to a document posted on iATN a few days ago:

Login to iATN, the largest network of automotive repair professionals in the world.

I'm not sure if I can just download the file and upload it here, so you will have to login to your iATN account to read it.

as well as all 2010 GDS2 and foreward vehicles, but this will require a complete subscription @ $3100 year, or if late models are not required use the MDI and SPS with tech2win for all the not so new models, see vehicle coverage and requirements at these sites
      -Kai-
      Chicago, IL

Comment

• USpMD
        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Orevin
        Usinf Tech2Win, you can do almost everything the T2 can do. Here is a link to a document posted on iATN a few days ago:

Login to iATN, the largest network of automotive repair professionals in the world.

I'm not sure if I can just download the file and upload it here, so you will have to login to your iATN account to read it.
        This list you posted is incomplete, I'm not sure where it came from! I use the tech2win everyday, theres no need to pull out my tech2 anymore, I have noted on some older applications IE. 98 olds 88, I did get a error message stating system not supported when testing inst.cluster, however I just entered past this message and codes, data and all other items worked fine, Now older models like anything OBD1 that requires the older connector GM1 you will need to use your tech2 or I use the verus, because the MDI only has the OBD2 connector
        Last edited by USpMD; 01-17-2012, 07:43 PM.
        "I wanna help the helpless, but I could careless about the clueless". Dennis Miller

Comment

• twincity
          • Feb 2008

Thank you for your help. What will the MDI do out of the box? Does it need any software from GM to do diagnostics? Also, to get the Tech2Win; do you have to subscribe to the Service Programming first or can you do a stand alone short term subscriptions to Tech2Win?
          Basically, what is the minimum package required to get the Tech2Win even for the 3 day subscription?

The website, that sells GM tools, you sent me; is it reliable? Prices for the MDI seemed VERY reasonable compared to local stores selling the MDI.

Thanks,
          Robert

Comment

• eddiesverus
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by twincity
            Thank you for your help. What will the MDI do out of the box? Does it need any software from GM to do diagnostics? Also, to get the Tech2Win; do you have to subscribe to the Service Programming first or can you do a stand alone short term subscriptions to Tech2Win?
            Basically, what is the minimum package required to get the Tech2Win even for the 3 day subscription?

The website, that sells GM tools, you sent me; is it reliable? Prices for the MDI seemed VERY reasonable compared to local stores selling the MDI.

Thanks,
            Robert
            The MDI can be purchased online through that GM website, but its only for GM employees, you will need a dealer code and BAC# and the item is shipped to that dealership only. It's better if you go to a GM dealer parts department and have them order it for you, but some will market up. better if you have a friend that works at the dealer. If you do get the MDI, out of the box it won't do much without a GM valid subscription. you'll need to download and install WinTech2 and activate it to use it from the TIS2WEB software update link. What ever you decide, the The MDI is a good tool for GM use only. I have it and I use it on My Verus along side the S3 Scanner. I'm able to Program wireless with the MDI and Verus. Its not recommended but I haven't had any Problems so far. The MDI and Verus make a good companionship. But The Price to the TIS subscription is the problem.
            Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

Working...