Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pmcpherson
    • Jan 2014

gen 2 verus ram and ssd what to use?

can anyone tell me what is the max ram a gen 2 verus will take and what type of ram I need to get I already have a Samsung 500 gb ssd but I want to do the ram 2 while im in there. also does any one have a breakdown of how to open the gen 2 I only see one for the gen 1 is there any difference?

thanks in advance
  • Wheel
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by pmcpherson
    can anyone tell me what is the max ram a gen 2 verus will take and what type of ram I need to get I already have a Samsung 500 gb ssd but I want to do the ram 2 while im in there. also does any one have a breakdown of how to open the gen 2 I only see one for the gen 1 is there any difference?

thanks in advance
    I think you can get a stick of 2gb ddr2 memory for that. The gen 2 Verus should be the same minus the built in scan module, so it may even be a little easier.
    You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• pmcpherson
      • Jan 2014

thanks wheel so the gen 2 takes ddr2 that's what I was wanting to know what size ssd does it take I have a 2.5 500gb Samsung

Comment

• pmcpherson
        • Jan 2014

does it take 200 pin or 240 pin and can I use ddr3 ?

Comment

• Aahj
          • Aug 2011

Curious on this answer myself, looking to make the upgrade on the RAM and SSD on my Gen 2. Finding a lot of info on Gen 1, but don't know if the same rules apply to the Gen 2.

Thanks!
          AJ

Comment

• sbreland73
            • Jan 2009

Same rules apply.
            S. Breland

Comment

• Aahj
              • Aug 2011

Great stuff, thank you.

Completed the swap last night, used the Samsung 840 Evo 250 GB SSD and a Samsung 2 GB DDR2 ram module. I used the software that came with the SSD to complete the cloning process, could not have been easier!

Love my Verus again.

All the best,
              AJ

Comment

• pmcpherson
                • Jan 2014

the cloning software that came with the Samsung ssd worked ok for the clone and what part # ddr2 did you use I have a 500 gb Samsung evo ssd that I am about to put in but I still need to get the memory

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

Since no one is able to tell you exactly what spec ram to get, Maybe You could go here and let Crucial scan the system , since the device may not be listed .Pretty sure from reading other posts 2GB is the max size ram that will work. Sounds about the same ram capacity as my wife's old PATA , Pentium M IBM T-41 I tried to sell it on Craigslist for 3 months and her daughter sold it at a recent yard sale foronly $40 because I told the guy there might be some naked pics of her on the drive somewhere.

Find compatible DRAM memory and SSD upgrades for your PC or Laptop with our Crucial Advisor tool or Crucial System Scanner, with FREE US delivery!
                  Last edited by Witsend; 08-13-2014, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• sbreland73
                    • Jan 2009

The RAM specs have been posted by several users, and have stated using different brands, but the specs are the same. A 1GB or 2GB capacity stick will work. Use this type: 200-Pin DDR SO-DIMM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Laptop Memory
                    S. Breland

Comment

• Wheel
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by sbreland73
                      The RAM specs have been posted by several users, and have stated using different brands, but the specs are the same. A 1GB or 2GB capacity stick will work. Use this type: 200-Pin DDR SO-DIMM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Laptop Memory
                      I thought the generation 2 Verus required ddr2 memory and could use up to a 2gb stick and the generation 1 Verus used just ddr memory and was limited to a 1gb stick. I'm not even sure they make a 2gb ddr stick but would be sorely tempted to try one in my gen 1 Verus if such existed.
                      You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• sbreland73
                        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Wheel
                        I thought the generation 2 Verus required ddr2 memory and could use up to a 2gb stick and the generation 1 Verus used just ddr memory and was limited to a 1gb stick. I'm not even sure they make a 2gb ddr stick but would be sorely tempted to try one in my gen 1 Verus if such existed.
                        Hey Tim, I could of course be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure I helped a co-worker change his memory in his Gen 2 and the boards looked the same as a Gen 1 minus the internal scanner module. We did a BIOS check with a little software from CPU-Z ( http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html )that can identify things like the front side bus speed, memory speed, cpu speed and cache, etc. The results were the same for the memory as a Gen 1 Verus, so he went with this stick (I also used this one in my Gen 1): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231141. As far as capacity, see this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_memory . Keep in mind having more memory does not always mean more speed. Having plenty of physical memory helps one use more programs simultaneously, hence the perception of speed. If a system has a smaller amount of memory, Windows will use some hard drive space as virtual memory (sometimes referred to as a swap file). If one has the maximum amount supported by their motherboard, you can disable this feature.
                        S. Breland

Comment

• Aahj
                          • Aug 2011

This is the exact ram module I used

Comment

• Witsend
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2012

I'm think if Aahj is correct that The Gen 2 takes the DDR2 ram , then the 5 or 6 year older platform Gen 1 likely used the older PC2700 DDR that Sbreland 73 used . I seem to recall on the older DDR ram modules that you could use PC 3200 in place of PC2700, or PC2100, because it had backwards compatibility, but there was other numerals like CL2, buffered or non buffered, EEC or Non EEC, so if you don't want to go EEEK !yourself , I'ld make sure to get a magnifying glass and write down the brand name and all the numbers on it and google the sh@t out of it , then select a larger memory upgrade of the same type up to 2GB. I wouldn't want to be out 2 or 3 grand Bricking it if the motherboards can vary by one digit on the serial number if one MOBO run might have been made in Hong Kong and the later run made in Malaysia. Just be careful! They are not zero offset wrenches made in Kenosha, and even those seemed to have grown a 10 degree offset lately , ROFLMAO
                            Last edited by Witsend; 08-14-2014, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Working...