Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Harley Mike
    • Jan 2014

changing how files are saved

When saving scan Data with verus pro it saves files as "PIDS" file extension as default. My question is can this be changed so files are saved as "SCM" files? Thanks Mike
  • Rich Shepherd
    Snap-on D&I
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Harley Mike
    When saving scan Data with verus pro it saves files as "PIDS" file extension as default. My question is can this be changed so files are saved as "SCM" files? Thanks Mike
    Hi Mike,
    The Verus does not have a setting that will allow you to change the type of scan data files it saves.
    Can you confirm the reason you would like to change the file type being saved?

Comment

• Wheel
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Rich Shepherd
      Hi Mike,
      The Verus does not have a setting that will allow you to change the type of scan data files it saves.
      Can you confirm the reason you would like to change the file type being saved?
      I'll give you one answer for that, and maybe you can help us. The biggest advantage to the SCM files like the Modis generates as opposed to the PIDS
      files that the Verus generates is that you can do a writeup telling the story
      of the scan capture, edit it or the vehicle info later either on the tool or in Shopstream making the capture far more useful at a later date.
      I've fussed about this years ago when the Verus first cane out, and as far as I know, no one has ever either addressed this or told us why it can't be done.
      You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Harley Mike
        • Jan 2014

Wheel said it, and it makes it easier for colleagues of mine to open SCM files rather then PIDS files.

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
          Snap-on D&I
          • Nov 2006

Wheel said it, and it makes it easier for colleagues of mine to open SCM files rather then PIDS files.
          Ok, thanks for that information.
          Is it easier for your colleagues because they would prefer to copy the files to a Scan tool they have which supports scm files and then view them on that tool rather than use the PC based program ShopStream Connect to view them on a PC?

Comment

• Wheel
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Rich Shepherd
            Ok, thanks for that information.
            Is it easier for your colleagues because they would prefer to copy the files to a Scan tool they have which supports scm files and then view them on that tool rather than use the PC based program ShopStream Connect to view them on a PC?
            I hadn't thought about that, but the option would sure help in some cases, such as a younger tech I am teaching bought an old Modis to start out on, and something like this might help people like him.

But the main thing is a scan capture is not much use without good documentation explaining what is going on, even a note on a good capture to tell you it is good and under what circumstances so you can use it as a reference.
            And being able to database it like you can the SCM files makes short work of finding what you need as opposed to making sense of the inventive name you are forced to give a file because that is all the info you can input.
            And sometimes you input erroneous info and need to change it - impossible on pids files.

You might tell the brass that these suggestions might help younger techs learn the ropes better using Snap On equipment - and if they have an easier time learning on Snap On equipment, they are far more likely to stay with Snap On for future purposes.

Another thing of extreme value would be the ability to share scope setups or presets between the Modis and Verus.
            You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Harley Mike
              • Jan 2014

Rich, I'm not sure how the files I send are being used or how they are being opened, but I get alot of request to change the file extension to SCM vs.PIDS.

Well if you simply change the file extension that makes a completely useless file. So I figured I would try to change how the file is saved.

When I transfer files from my verus to my PC, I have to save the files and then drag them to the "Diagnostic Temporary" folder within SSC to open them, where SCM files can simply be double clicked to open to SSC.

I am using version 9.3.0.15 US if that makes a difference/ windows 7.

Thanks

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
                Snap-on D&I
                • Nov 2006

You are using the latest version of SSC.
                If you are being asked for scm files, I assume the requestor either wants to load them on a tool that supports scm files or they are viewing them on a PC with ShopStream Connect and would like to add notes.
                If they are loading them on a tool, that supports them, suggest they down load SSC so they can view them on a PC. It would be much easier because if you sent them, they would already have them on the PC and could view them without having the extra step of transferring them to the tool. SSC provides good review capability so viewing them on a PC with a bigger screen really is the way to go. It is also a lot easier to manage a lot of files on the PC with Windows or SSC than it is on the tool with a simple list of all the files.
                SSC can be downloaded here as you would know:
                http://www1.snapon.com/diagnostics/us/SSC

Regarding being able to double click on a .PIDs file to open in on your PC that has SSC installed, you should be able to do that by setting the Windows file association:
                Navigate to the .PIDs file using Windows Explorer or My Computer.
                Right click on the file.
                Select “Open With” then “Choose Default program”
                In the “Open with” Window that is displayed, select “Browse” down near the bottom right of the window.
                In the window that opens, navigate to:
                C:\Program Files\Snap-on Incorporated\ShopStream Connect\ScannerDataViewer\US
                Select “ScannerDataViewer.exe”.
                Select Open at the bottom right of the window.
                Check the box for “Always use the selected program to open this kind of file”.
                Select Ok .

Windows will then associate .PIDs files with the Scanner Viewer so if you double click on one, it will open in the Scanner Viewer without having to first open SSC and navigate to the file.

Note that to view VSM files (Verus Scope Movies) on the PC, you will have to first start SSC, navigate to the file with the SSC Data Manager, and open it from there.
                It is not possible to open them directly from Windows at this time.

Comment

• Harley Mike
                  • Jan 2014

Rich, Thank you, that works great. What is the windows file association that allows SCM files to be opened, I seemed to have lost that or is it one or the other not both?

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
                    Snap-on D&I
                    • Nov 2006

Rich, Thank you, that works great. What is the windows file association that allows SCM files to be opened, I seemed to have lost that or is it one or the other not both?
                    Not sure why you would have lost that one, but you can have more than one file type associated with a program.
                    Do the same thing for the SCM file as you did for the .PIDs.
                    Right click on it and set that file type to be opened by the ScannerDataViewer.exe

Comment

Working...