Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sbreland73
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Nandor690
    Is it possible to upgrade the CPU or is it intergated?
    No, the Celeron processor is soldered to its socket.
    S. Breland

Comment

• xo2mig
      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by phill57
      Hello Tuta.

I know what you are going through. removing the back cover is probably the most difficult but is quite easy once you know the process. It can actually be removed to access the hard drive without removing all the front stuff. I can have my hard drive out in less than 5 minutes. The cover must be lifted up from the bottom first. If you turn the unit face down with the bottom towards you, put your fingers into the battery charging hole, pull up on the bottom of the cover while pressing down on the battery compartment and the charging stand contacts through the back cover. Once it is lifted from the bottom it can be tilted off of the multimeter jack which pass through the top. Be sure you have removed the two small bolts beside the data cable connection in the top of the unit. (where the scanner cable attaches). The battery compartment will stay attached to the back of the motherboard.

HTH and good luck
      mind doing a video on that please

Comment

• brads
        • Feb 2009

HARDDRIVE

Hi Willie if you want it to boot up even faster put a SSD drive in it. before sold mine I put one in it. it worked good. Brad

Comment

• eddiesverus
          • Dec 2008

Wireless Verus

Re: New Wireless Verus, Has anyone upgraded the Memory and or Hard drive on it, What Type of Memory does it use? and Has anyone figured out the BIOS password yet?
          Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

• Vash
            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Billcmat
            The only issue I had was the date/time was not set correctly. Once I reset that to current all loaded correctly.

I think that is a issue when changing hard drives or reinstalling from the program.

I have watched Snap-On do it over the web, but I probably couldn't do it now.

Willie
            Where do you have to change the date/time? I am getting the dreaded no authorization on my Verus after switching to an SSD, even with the original HD I am getting that message.

Comment

• chaskuss
              • Dec 2009

Not exactly

Originally posted by Witsend
              snipped any Windows Operating system would need a fresh installation license key after you change a CPU or mobo because on start up it needs to see exact same MOBO serial #and other matching tech data before it will boot up.
              Sorry, this is not true. Windows actually performs a sort of "roll call" each time it boots up. The main components [CPU, Motherboard, video card/chip, hard drive, memory and optical drive] are checked to see if they are the same units that were installed when the operating system was installed. This is done by checking the serial numbers of these components. Windows must find a 70% match or better to boot up. If it's less than that, you would have to do a fresh install of the operating system. FYI, each component is one vote, except for Intel processors [CPU] which gets two votes. [Yet AMD CPUs only get one vote] FYI, if you use hard drive cloning software with your new SSD drive, you will NOT lose the vote for the hard drive. This only applies to standard Microsoft. Snap On customizing of the OS may add other parameters.
              Upgrading the motherboard will cause problems, due to other issues.
              Charlie
              Last edited by chaskuss; 01-03-2015, 08:40 AM. Reason: expanded 3rd sentence. Added 4th sentence & 2nd last sentence

Comment

• Vash
                • Dec 2014

Originally posted by chaskuss
                Sorry, this is not true. Windows actually performs a sort of "roll call" each time it boots up. The main components [CPU, Motherboard, video card/chip, hard drive, memory and optical drive] are checked to see if they are the same. Windows must find a 70% match or better to boot up. If it's less than that, you would have to do a fresh install of the operating system. FYI, each component is one vote, except for Intel processors [CPU] which gets two votes. [Yet AMD CPUs only get one vote] FYI, if you use hard drive cloning software with your new SSD drive, you will NOT lose the vote for the hard drive.
                Upgrading the motherboard will cause problems, due to other issues.
                Charlie
                All I did was clone the original hard drive onto an SSD. When I put the SSD in, after boot it says it requires authorization, tool works except for the scan tool/scope. Which is all I use it for...

Then I proceeded to put the original hard drive back into the Verus and it gave me the same error message. "Authorization required" at the windows desktop screen.
                Someone on here said that if you get that message all you have to do is change the date/time, but no one specified where to do this... I need to know where to change the date/time at. If it is in the BIOS obviously I cannot do that due to the fact that it is locked...
                Do I change it in my computer, desktop? I just want my tool to work again lol.

Comment

• Skip
                  Super Moderator
                  • Apr 2008

I have feeling your tool thinks you stole your own software. I know that message comes up when people try to copy the software and put it on another tool.

Comment

• Vash
                    • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Skip
                    I have feeling your tool thinks you stole your own software. I know that message comes up when people try to copy the software and put it on another tool.
                    That is what I assumed at first. But there are a few posts in this thread where guys got the same message and were able to get it to go away after changing the date and time. I just do not know where to change it at lol.
                    I was hoping the OP would chime in, but it has been quite a few years since this thread was active...

Well, I guess I am talking to my Snap On rep Tuesday. Hope it is free to re activate lol.
                    Thanks for the suggestions and help, guys!

Comment

• chaskuss
                      • Dec 2009

Access the Windows Operating System

Originally posted by Vash
                      Where do you have to change the date/time? I am getting the dreaded no authorization on my Verus after switching to an SSD, even with the original HD I am getting that message.
                      Vash You will have to install a mouse at the least and a mouse and keyboard at best to do this. install a mouse into the USB port, or better yet, the USB transmitter for a wireless keyboard/mouse combo. You need to access the Windows operating system, which underlies the Snap On software. Find and click on the START button [lower/left] from the Start Menu, click on CONTROL PANEL. From the next menu, click on DATE & TIME. Now you can make the needed changes to the date and time. This will look just like Windows XP.
                      Another member hot rodded his older Modis Elite. The video below shows his mods and shows him [about 2 minutes in] accessing the START button, using a wireless USB mouse. Your Verus is similar. All this info is in the User Manual for your Verus. See video below.

Charlie

Comment

• Vash
                        • Dec 2014

Originally posted by chaskuss
                        Vash You will have to install a mouse at the least and a mouse and keyboard at best to do this. install a mouse into the USB port, or better yet, the USB transmitter for a wireless keyboard/mouse combo. You need to access the Windows operating system, which underlies the Snap On software. Find and click on the START button [lower/left] from the Start Menu, click on CONTROL PANEL. From the next menu, click on DATE & TIME. Now you can make the needed changes to the date and time. This will look just like Windows XP.
                        Another member hot rodded his older Modis Elite. The video below shows his mods and shows him [about 2 minutes in] accessing the START button, using a wireless USB mouse. Your Verus is similar. All this info is in the User Manual for your Verus. See video below.

Charlie
                        Thanks for the help! Unfortunately it did not work . Still get the authorization required, contact customer support.
                        It also reverted back to the original software version... Looks like I am going to have to pay big bucks now to get it re updated .

Comment

• PETEWITHY
                          • Mar 2014

Verus series 1. Max RAM upgrade

Sir, Can you please advise, Will the Verus series 1 only accept 1GB of RAM or is able to accept 2GB. Thanks in advance Petewithy
                          Originally posted by Billcmat
                          I posted this over on the iATN Snap-On forum, but I thought some of you might find it interesting.

My Verus is well out of warranty, so it was time to perform the memory upgrade that so many have talked about. Since I have not seen any inside pictures of the Verus, I thought I would take some pictures and document the procedure.

I would recommend you do this on a soft cloth so as to not scratch the touch screen. You will need a thin Phillips screwdriver, a small flat pocket screwdriver and long thin tweezers. Allow plenty of time so you can be VERY CAREFUL!! Take great care with all connectors and ribbons. These are
                          very fragile and breaking one will require a trip to Snap-On and lots of dollars!

First, take off the rubber grips on each end of the Verus. Remove the battery by pressing down on the latch and pulling. It is a tight fit. Remove the screws on the rear case (7) and front case (6).
                          [ATTACH]3168[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH]3169[/ATTACH]

One of the rear screws in inside the battery compartment. It takes a short Phillips or a thin long one to remove. You will have to break through the warranty seals to remove all the screws. Also remove the screws at the serial port and the scanner cable port.
                          [ATTACH]3171[/ATTACH]
                          The plate around the serial port will fall out later, so don't lose it or forget to put it back when the cases go together.

On the front side there are several small slots at the top and bottom of the black screen cover. Use a small pocket flat screwdriver to remove the black screen cover.
                          [ATTACH]3170[/ATTACH]

Flip the Verus over. Be careful of the button pad on the right as it is now loose.

BEWARE there is a fan connected to the rear cover half. Pick the black rear cover by picking up the bottom of it; it kind of slips in at the top of the Verus. Don't pull hard until you look under and disconnect the fan connector from the circuit boards! Then slip it out of the front cover at the
                          top and set it aside.

[ATTACH]3172[/ATTACH]

This is what you will see with the rear cover removed. The system memory in on a sub-board under the fan and heat sink. You need to flip the circuit boards over, but FIRST you have to get the touch screen loose and disconnected. At the bottom and top are 10 plastic clips that hold the screen to the red case half. There are several connectors that you must disconnect when removing the screen (speaker, screen and pad). This must be done
                          carefully after releasing the 10 plastic clips that hold it all together.
                          [ATTACH]3173[/ATTACH]

There are 2 gray wires that you can leave connected, but be careful so you don't break them. Pay attention to how they are routed and clipped in place. Once the screen in disconnected and removed, you can see the 7 screws that hold the circuit boards to the red plastic case. Fig 6 shows where they go. Once the boards are loose, you need to unplug the small board and fan assembly from the main circuit board. There is one small white connector for the fan, and 2 row connectors from the small board to the main board.
                          [ATTACH]3174[/ATTACH]

Pay attention to how it goes together. Once it is unplugged, there is a single screw in the center of the small board that holds it to the fan/heat sink assembly. Remove this screw, and they will separate.
                          [ATTACH]3175[/ATTACH]

There is heat sink compound on the bottom of the heat sink. Don't
                          wipe it off or disturb it.

You will now see the 512 meg memory module. Remove and
                          replace it just like any other laptop (I used a 1024MB
                          PC3200 DDR 400MHz SODIMM module I had left from another
                          laptop).

CAREFULLY reassemble the Verus. When you boot it back up, it
                          may say you have an authorization problem. Check the time
                          and date of the system. Mine reset to the default, and all I
                          had to do was correct the time/date, and all rebooted fine.

My system boots faster now. I don't know yet how much better
                          it will function as I performed this on a Friday, but I
                          will report back after a few days of use. I did not swap the
                          hard drive, as I remove and store the files onto my laptop,
                          so disk space is not a problem for me yet.

Enjoy!!

Willie

It's been a week now, and so far everything is working great. The Verus boots faster, and seems to shut down faster. The apps load faster, and when running 2 (scanner and scope) they switch easier and with less fuss.

Willie

Comment

• sbreland73
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Skip
                            It does this also when the date gets askew from the last time the suite ran.
                            S. Breland

Comment

• krang00
                              • May 2015

Does anyone know of a new replacement part number for the CPU fan? I was able to find one on Digikey for the case but am having no luck on the RYW05010012DM fan on the heat sink?

Comment

• chaskuss
                                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by krang00
                                Does anyone know of a new replacement part number for the CPU fan? I was able to find one on Digikey for the case but am having no luck on the RYW05010012DM fan on the heat sink?
                                Could you please reply with a photo of your fan? Be sure to show the mounting points and the wiring harness. It's been my experience in the past that simply using a manufacturers part number will not always ensure you get the correct part. Best to see the fan so that I can help you.

Charlie

Comment

Working...