Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bughood
    • Aug 2012

need known good cam crank

1Z7HT28K86S578845 06 Mitsubishi Raider. P0340 P0344. I need to verify the cam crank is in sync before we go any further. I have some from older Dodge vehicles but the cankshaft signal is different.
    Thanks
  • bughood
    • Aug 2012

3.7 Motor

Comment

• SnapOnKid
      • Jan 2011

I haven't seen one on the road in my area in while. Not saying they aren't out there, just going to be hard to find.

Might I suggest looking on craigslist and see if you can find one for sale in your area. You might be able to talk the owner in to letting you look at it to get the info you need.

Comment

• bestdamgarage
        • Apr 2016

join the IATN they have a wave form library

Comment

• tech25
          • Oct 2017

Not sure what your faults are, but if you suspect a slipped timing belt or stretched chain, broken chain guides, ect...... I would check the mechanical timing if you dont know the electronic timing... but for fun I would scope the cam and crank signals just to see what you get.

Example.....it shows several revolutions of the engine. It was taken with a Hall-effect CPS. Ch B (red, upper) is a good AC-excited CKP waveform. Ch A (blue, lower) is the CPS waveform. It shows large positive spikes reaching +12 V in addition to the expected 0 to +4 V pulses from the camshaft position sensor. This probably indicates an intermittent short-circuit to +12 V.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Mechatronics Engineer
            • Jul 2017

PicoScope Trace above

The spikes you advise that might be a positive short circuit are more than likely the trigger point where ignition takes place in the OTTO cycle. If you put an ignition spark tester into the secondary ignition signal, then in the scope waveform you will also see the ignition trigger point for reference, and then if you use the rulers and the cylinder firing order you will see that the next spike is the next cylinder in firing order.

If you look at my example scope traces, not your current vehicle example, you can see;

In the upper trace this is the crank sensor waveform (Inductive), and the next waveform down is the ignition event of cylinder 1, and then the camshaft sensor switching on/off (Hall Effect). Now reading the Hall effect sensor signature from the left towards the right side of the trace you'll notice two small spikes followed by a large vertical spike, now if you look back at the ignition event taking place, look where it takes place after the missing teeth of the flywheel, and then compare the spikes position again relative to the crankshaft waveform, you can see that the spike is indeed an ignition event taking place in the next cylinder in firing order. The injection event is the lower trace, this is occurring just prior to the intake valve opening. I have another example trace somewhere in my files with the pressure transducer fitted, which makes the identification of the operation much more understandable, if I can find it.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...