• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AJMD
    • Jan 2011

Agila 1.2 , codes P0120 & P0220

Hi all,

I'm new on here so hello to everyone

I was after a second opinion on a vehicle I have a job on with at present. I think i've nailed what it is but there is another factor too.

Its an Agila (Vauxhall) which from the part numbers shares the same throttle with the Corsa of the same era. I have codes P0120 which comes up on the ethos as related to the TPS, and P0220 which comes up as an issue with the Pedal switch.
    The throttle switch seems to be functioning correctly and the volts are alternating between the 2 switches as they should, the TPS will also do this for a minute or so if I clear the code, then return.
    The voltage for the TPS/Actuator is there as well and the throttle works and revs until the code comes back, then the vehicle has correct voltage on the pedal when pressed but the TPS voltage will freeze at 4.2 volts on one side and 0.8 on the other side, and will no longer react.

The Elephant in the room is that the car was reverse polaritied with jump leads, and although the main 80 amp fuse blew and I can't find any other damage, this is when the issue began with the throttle. I know they are on the same feed from the ecu, but if I clear the code while the engine is running I get the throttle back instantly? so i'm leaning towards a bad actuator.

But if anyone has anything else they could suggest, that would help me a great deal.

Thanks.

Andy
  • Gadgetguy
    • Feb 2010

The only thing that would play on my mind would be that the Motronic Engine ECU has been damaged as i would of thought this would be more likely to suffer as a result of reverse polarity rather than the throttle body itself.

The Vauxhall checking proc for those 2 codes comes up with the usual either or as far as components go and that is Motronic Control Unit or Throttle body.

Send me a PM with your E-Mail and will forward the checking procedure on to you if you need it but as per usual they are not much help unless the codes and fault are present all of the time as the data will normally reset and give a no fault found when the ignition is cycled off and back on.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• AJMD
      • Jan 2011

Hi Gadgetguy,

Sorry I should have updated this sooner,

I'm pretty sure its the ECU where the ground has been damaged on this one, my graphs show the point where the voltage on the APP sensor go high enough to trip the dtc, and the code for the correlation between them too. After this happens the actuator is shut off and flatlines on the graph and the spanner lights up.

I'm going to run a seperate fused ground to it and see where we go from there, i've just given the customer a few days to decide whether they want it done. To be fair though, to replace the ecu etc is coming close to the value of the car

Thanks for the reply
      Andy

Comment

• Gadgetguy
        • Feb 2010

Is it an early or late Agila?

9164475 = unit,control,Throttle Body Injection(Motronic)(Bosch) Z10XE,Z12XE

55354330 = unit,control,Fuel Injection(Bosch) Z10XEP,Z12XEP chassis 5G000001 onwards

These are the Vauxhall part numbers but you may find a company that will repair the old unit on an exchange basis for a lower cost.

Give your nearest dealer a ring and ask them about Trade Club Prices on a new ECU.

Comment

• vasau
          • Jul 2007

Isn't this ECU a cell phone sized? It's almost impossible to solder something in that ECU.

Comment

• Gadgetguy
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by vasau
            Isn't this ECU a cell phone sized? It's almost impossible to solder something in that ECU.
            Will see if i can find the link at some point and post to you as we have had several repaired,dont know if they replace the complete board or not but they come with a 6 month warranty and are about half the price of a new unit.

Comment

Working...