Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 05horse
    • Feb 2012

4l80E limphome towing

1996 K2500 when ever a load is hauled or towed, or the truck is ran hard, it goes in to limp home ( 1 and 2 only )i added a HD trans oil cooler, and have yet to haul a load since, is there anything else i should look in to for this issue? i have searched the forums, and goodle, and found limp home codes and issues from 2-3 only, but not exactly like i have. truck drives fine by its self.
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

If it's in limp mode, there should be a code stored. Start there. Maybe just overheating, maybe a problem with the trans. Could be anything. We're going to need a lot more info to help you.
    Get the code.
    Get the Freeze Frame info. GM is great about storing lots of data when the fault occurred. That's a good place to start.

Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• 05horse
      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
      If it's in limp mode, there should be a code stored. Start there. Maybe just overheating, maybe a problem with the trans. Could be anything. We're going to need a lot more info to help you.
      Get the code.
      Get the Freeze Frame info. GM is great about storing lots of data when the fault occurred. That's a good place to start.

Joe
      sweet how do i go about getting this code? i ran the CEL at autozone, it came up as bad 02 stuff...getting exhaust this week, full exhaust, manifolds and new cats and new 02's i aslo need some new tie rods, and im going to do an intake manifold gasket, its losing oil and coolant somewhere, i suspect the intake gasket has something to do with that. theres 122K on the truck so i dont think a tear down is instore...yet... but the motor shakes a little bit...im thinking timing since its a slow starter.

Comment

• Eduardo
        Banned
        • Jan 2012

read it with snap on code reader, select automatic transmission, scanner should give you the codes

Comment

• D1353L
          • Aug 2011

A lot of transmission codes will be manufacturer specific so make sure the scan tool you have can access more than global obd II. There are also trouble tree and symptom charts you can reference if you do not have a code
          If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
          Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...