Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BMW JEDI
    • Feb 2012

SOLUS Ultra | BMW

When using my SOLUS Ultra 11.4 to scan a BMW, if I choose [System ID Mode], at the bottom of the list of control modules is a selection titled [System Scan].

What does this do?

I have run it, and after some time of displaying "...gathering data..." I am returned to the [System ID Mode] menu, with no perceivable changes. Any module I wish to communicate with still needs me to manually identify it, so the scan is not gathering module information.

If I run it again, the SOLUS Ultra goes to blank white screen and locks up, requiring me to hold the power key for >6 seconds to force shutdown and restart of unit.
  • Eduardo
    Banned
    • Jan 2012

Solus ultra sucks for scanning BMWs.

Comment

• Pabliniboy
      • Mar 2011

Hate to say, my autel is doing a better job when it comes to BMW

Comment

• BMW JEDI
        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Pabliniboy
        When did you get an Autel? Which model? I am looking at one next week, the MaxiDAS.

Are you seeing any issues with your Autel yet?

It is becoming more and more apparent to me as I use it that the Snap-on SOLUS is more of an amateur or hobbyist tool, severely lacking useful functionality for todays professional technicians.

Comment

• Pabliniboy
          • Mar 2011

I bought it last December it is the Maxidas
          You can get it for $1800 and free updates for
          One year.. So far this tool Vs my ultra has done a great job.... Is not as fast
          But it has some functions that the ultra don't
          For the $$$$$ it cost.. I love it

Comment

• sbreland73
            • Jan 2009

I hope Snappy listens, they have WAY more compitition than they used to. If they don't step up their game, they will lose market share to the cheaper Chinese tools, that do more. I bet for every 1 American engineer SO has, there are 15 Chinese dudes pumping out designs for the same pay.
            S. Breland

Comment

• Bob's Garage
              • Nov 2007

Autel Maxidas 708 works well for me...

"I bought it last December it is the Maxidas

You can find it a lot cheaper than that. After I paid $1450 for mine, A friend picked one up for $1175 from an online tool catalog place. Yes, it was a legit USA model.

BTW, it's not perfect, but for the money it is an extremely useful tool. If nothing else a great second tool.

That's what is happening in my area and around the country. Shops are buying the Autel as a back-up tool that is able to fill the holes.

One thing though. The graphing is horrible. No abilities to change time base. And coverage can be spotty. Although listed, some functions will not work. But it shows there is an intention to fill thier own holes.
              It is a work in progress, and updates are always coming in.

My first choice would be Snap-on for several reasons, one of them being the excellent graphing and quality, but I would choose the Autel over the Launch any day.

Bob

Comment

• Bob's Garage
                • Nov 2007

Autel Maxidas DS708 vs. Snap-on

Originally posted by sbreland73
                I hope Snappy listens, they have WAY more compitition than they used to. If they don't step up their game, they will lose market share to the cheaper Chinese tools, that do more. I bet for every 1 American engineer SO has, there are 15 Chinese dudes pumping out designs for the same pay.
                Yeah, they are listening. The problem will be that they will see also that the Autel is a paper tiger right now. It doesn't do all that it appears. But, in the next year or so it will have prove itself. Autel flooded the market, I mean flooded it. Almost every shop owner I know has one now. They simply saw the value.

Some may have skipped 11.4 to help pay. That hurts all by itself.

If they skip 12.2 that will be bad for both as there is so much that has been added, like Suzuki for example. Lots of new tests on Toyotas, the big 3 and others, 12.2 has a lot of stuff in it.

That's not to say that Autel can't do more on some brands or makes than Snap-on does, because it can. That just to say that Snap-on covers the most popular makes and models better as a whole. This means that most aftermarket scan tools make a living off of doing what Snap-on doesn't. In a way, they compliment eachother.

And Snap-on knows that. They just haven't had much to worry about because most scanners from China are poorly constructed, terrible looking tools. Look at the Launch. Huge tool with a tiny, tiny display. Pleather cover that hardly fits. It can only display 2 graphs at a time. No battery. When it was time to update my Launch, someone from a west coast tool dealer suggested I skip the update and put it towards the Autel. So, I did. And, I don't regret it. Unfortunately, my Autel has the name tag put on crooked, but other than that, it is a nicely put together scanner.

Wait a second though... MaxiDAS 708 has no battery! Can you believe that? Don't let the cord fall off of the DLC or you will add several minutes onto your diag time, because it also has no previous vehicle memory either. The solution of course is a cigar lighter adapter, another cable to lose or get tangled. Batteries are mandatory on scanners!

Snap-on has the very best hardware. Super good looking and capable. Very Reliable. And they are pumping out a new design a year. 2 last year (Verus wireless and Ultra).

I also have a feeling that there is going to be some copyright infringement lawsuits against Autel, not to mention that Autel doesn't pay for thier stuff either, they just reverse engineer it and take it. A big reason why companies like Snap-on don't get sued for infringment is because they buy thier processes and data code from manufacturers like GM and Ford etc...

You may find out later, the reason Autel is flooding the market is that they may get shutdown. But, if every shop has one, it's too late because they will make big money on updates since that is not as easy to control as stopping and siezing a ship's container load of scanners in the Port of LA or Long Beach. I don't know if that scenerio has any merit, but it should. Or Let Snap-on do the same. Let Snap-on "steal" the code for scanner function.

See what happens then. I'm also sorry to say, that this is the same kind of stuff that puts Americans out of work and bolsters the Chinese economy. Yes, I feel guilty. I bought one as a key to my survival. I am tired of not being able to scan certain makes and models that Snap-on doesn't cover. Until we have a level playing surface we have to play the game the way it is being played now.

Well, I know I will get some feedback on this post but that's the way I see it.. If you want an Autel, get one now. It is supposed to go up in price. Rumor has it.

Thanks, Bob
                Last edited by Bob's Garage; 03-12-2012, 10:20 PM.

Comment

• Pabliniboy
                  • Mar 2011

Don't get me wrong I love my snap on tools and of course my ultra.
                  But I get disappointed when a cheaper chinese sccaner
                  Can do something that my $5000 ultra won't.... Then I have to get
                  My $1450 maxidas and do a OCS on a Chrysler..... That for a long time
                  Was only done with a DRBIII And also Honda (ODS) Occupant Detection
                  System... We all know that the updates from SO are not cheap and I don't
                  Mind paying for them when I know I can rely on my sccaner...at the end we all
                  Want to make some $$$$

Comment

• BMW JEDI
                    • Feb 2012

I bought it last December it is the Maxidas
                    Does it have battery registration on BMW E90 3 Series in DME?

Comment

• tonysrep
                      • Mar 2012

Can you go into what the autel does, I am also interested in the programming , fearures....thanks

Comment

• Pabliniboy
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by tonysrep
                        Can you go into what the autel does, I am also interested in the programming , fearures....thanks
                        Here is the link hope it works for you!

Comment

• Pabliniboy
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BMW JEDI
                          Does it have battery registration on BMW E90 3 Series in DME?
                          I don't have a E90 at this time but here is a link That will help you.
                          I will get one this week I'll let you know

Comment

Working...