Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roadracer587
    • Mar 2012

Edit functions on .BMP

Is there a secret set of buttons that you can push that will allow you to edit .BMP files so that you can fill in the year, make, component and condition blocks that are available in the movie mode? If there is not, does this mean that we have to capture everything as a movie and then do a screen capture from the pause feature to simply send a single frame of data to another tech? Without being able to label the year, make, component and condition searching for these files later could be very time consuming. Help Please!!!!!
    No one plans to fail, they simply fail to plan!!!
  • hefaus
    • Dec 2007

BMP files

They usually have vehicle year and make on the bmp files .Maybe i am not understanding your Message.Attached a sample . Hth. Keep Smiling
    Attached Files

Comment

• roadracer587
      • Mar 2012

There is a year, make, component and condition block to fill in when you capture a movie but if you save and image you can only change the file name. You do not get the pop up screen to fill in the other info and when you go to edit in the shop stream software it will only let you change the file name. It will not let you put in any other information and will not let you and any notes at the bottom.

Comment

• sbreland73
        • Jan 2009

What you are asking, roadracer, has been asked by us all for years. Snappy seems do deem this feature not important. However, if you change the save format to .jpg, then you can edit some info with Windows, by doing a a right-click on the screen capture, then properties, then the summery tab will list a few fields to edit. This method will do nothing within the Snapon software, but it might help you keep track of what is what. If you have a Windows 7 machine, most of what you can edit will show up at the bottom of your explorer window. HTH.
        Last edited by sbreland73; 03-27-2012, 02:13 PM.
        S. Breland

Comment

• Joe Rappa
          Snap-on DSD
          • Aug 2007

If you import them into Shopstream Connect you can easily edit that info. That info can be easily added to the file by the scanner when you save a movie or snapshot because they are proprietary files, and Snap-on has control over how they are saved. That can't happen when saving .bmp or.jpg files on a Windows CE platform. It's a photograph, and the scanner is not able to edit it. I know why it would be convenient for some users to have this feature, but I don't see it happening.

Joe
          "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
          Henry Ford

Comment

• roadracer587
            • Mar 2012

Why would Snap-On make me save an image file in a format that can not be anotated. I can put info in on both the save movie and the save frame selections but can not put info in when I save an image. They give me the option to save in either the BMP or JPEG format and that is nice but I would rather have the ability to put label info in so that I could find it easier when in shop stream connect.

Comment

• sbreland73
              • Jan 2009

Thanks Joe for more detailed info, as that makes more sense to me now. Yes, Snapon did not invent the BMP or JPG file types, so they are limited to how they interact. Where as the SSC, SSM, CTM, etc files are their own file types, and can do whatever they choose. I have never really looked at it in this perspective.
              S. Breland

Comment

• roadracer587
                • Mar 2012

I think that maybe I have been misunderstood. I do not want to be able to edit the BMP itself, I simply want to have the label screen pop up when I save it to shopstream or my scanner. This is not editing the BMP, it is simply a labeling function. The screen that pops up when you save a frame or a movie only labels the file. I have other programs that will allow you to save a bmp and label it in a manner that makes it easy to find later. I am sure snap on can find a way to do this. I am anal retentive when it comes to saving waveforms and pid data when working on vehicles and if I have no way of organizing these files so that I can find them quickly, they are no good to me. Hopefully this will be fixed.

Comment

• sbreland73
                  • Jan 2009

Ahhhh, OK, so you want to change the actual file name then? Snappy labels the file by date/number. Here again, this has been asked to allow change, but has not been addressed. Other than you changing the file name AFTER it has been saved.
                  S. Breland

Comment

• Wheel
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by roadracer587
                    I think that maybe I have been misunderstood. I do not want to be able to edit the BMP itself, I simply want to have the label screen pop up when I save it to shopstream or my scanner. This is not editing the BMP, it is simply a labeling function. The screen that pops up when you save a frame or a movie only labels the file. I have other programs that will allow you to save a bmp and label it in a manner that makes it easy to find later. I am sure snap on can find a way to do this. I am anal retentive when it comes to saving waveforms and pid data when working on vehicles and if I have no way of organizing these files so that I can find them quickly, they are no good to me. Hopefully this will be fixed.
                    This is what I use and recommend:
                    Lab scope software for screen capture software for saving screen captures from a wide variety of hand-held test equipment.
                    You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

Working...