X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Two GM Turds Today

First turd was was a 99 Buick Regal 3.8 with a lean code 171. a year or two back I did intake gaskets and replaced the MAF sensor(Cardone Reman) and MAF connector pigtail. Not able to see or hear any obvious vacuum leaks today , I pinched off the vacuum booster hose and the Evap purge hose , smoke checked ,propane checked and brake cleaner checked intake manifold for leaks, No vacuum leaks confirmed. Pulled the EGR valve off and made sure no leaks past seat.Removed and Cleaned the one year old MAF sensor and reinstalled and saw a very brief decrease in fuel trims but after a few minutes they were too high again. Called The parts store got a replacement . Took before and after replacement photos of fuel trims.
    2nd Turd was a 2005 AWD Chevy Equinox to do front brakes that has been FWD for the last 2 years since I replaced the broken LF half shaft , and removed the expensive prop shaft that had a failure of the rubber center damper support . When I did front brakes it felt like the caliper pistons were tough to retract, so cracking a bleeder made them easy to push in . Damn brake hose guide brackets doing a tourniquet on Amen
    Attached Files
  • maven
    • Mar 2014

So why didn't you replace the hose? Did the bracket spontaneously crush the hose after 10 years of normal function? Or did the hose fail and playing with it that much just allowed it to flow better....brake hoses aren't meant to be crushed and then just reused.

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

So why didn't you replace the hose? Did the bracket spontaneously crush the hose after 10 years of normal function? Or did the hose fail and playing with it that much just allowed it to flow better....brake hoses aren't meant to be crushed and then just reused.
      Midwest salt belt here, and over time rust scale builds between the metal and the outside of the hose, just like rust under caliper bracket hardware Once you spread the guide bracket open and relieve the squeeze on the hose (without damage)they'll relieve pressure again, and something often mis diagnosed as binding calipers. Of course you sell brake hoses if you catch a split or bubble problem on inspection, but I try to keep add on surprise items to the customer's initial estimates to a minimum if I can. Already sold both rotors.

Comment

• maven
        • Mar 2014

I just noticed the Jurassic thing....

LMAO

Comment

Working...