Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • STURNER
    • Oct 2014

2012 Silverado power seat upgrade

Have a customer with 2012 Silverado that was built with manual buckets. He installed a power driver bucket. The harness plug fit and the seat works fine. The problem is it set an airbag code B0079 driver seat position sensor short to ground or open symptom 6. The manual seat has an actual sensor on the seat track. The power seat has no sensor. I assume it monitors motor position. The questions I have are 1, is this a matter of reflashing sdm? 2, do I need to change rpo code. 3, reckon it's just a bad position sensor? When I couldn't (JUST PUT IT ON THAT COMPUTER AND TURN OFF THE LIGHT) he agreed to drop it off next week.
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

What year did the power seat come from ? Is this a crew cab or regular cab ? Did the new seat come from the same ? Crew or regular cab ? Is the customer truck a 1500 and the seat come from a 2500 or 3500 ?

Comment

• STURNER
      • Oct 2014

The donor seats are from a 2012 also, as far as the owner knows. I can't say about 1500, 2500, or 3500 unfortunately. The truck in question is a regular cab. Don't know bout donor vehicle.

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

If it were I , I would Put the manual seat in the position that the customer normally sits and check the resistance of the manual seat position sensor . Make a resistor close to the same resistance and put it between the pins of the connector corresponding to the seat sensor pins beneath the seat . Clear the code and let it go.
        If the old Chevy left motor mount is broke, just get the right super duty throttle return spring if the accelerator pedal get's stuck to the floor,, LOL
        Last edited by Witsend; 08-28-2015, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• greasybob
          • May 2008

I don't think that the sensor is integrated into the seat motors or even in the seat memory module if equipped. I would not reflash SDM as any thing different than the vehicle VIN. SDM calibrations are based on vehicle weight. The schematic in Shop Key shows the sensor only on some models ( I think lighter models). I run into this kind of stuff with body shops all the time. They replace a door but don't change the contents and the side impact sensor is either different or not present at all. About the only good option is the replace the contents with those of the original door. The same would go for the seat. Are there any mounting holes for the sensor on the replacement seat ? Move the sensor over or find a properly equipped seat. "Looks" the same is not the same.

Comment

• STURNER
            • Oct 2014

As always thank you for the help. I'll contact the salvage yard on Monday and see what I can learn about the donor vehicle.

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by greasybob
              I don't think that the sensor is integrated into the seat motors or even in the seat memory module if equipped. I would not reflash SDM as any thing different than the vehicle VIN. SDM calibrations are based on vehicle weight. The schematic in Shop Key shows the sensor only on some models ( I think lighter models). I run into this kind of stuff with body shops all the time. They replace a door but don't change the contents and the side impact sensor is either different or not present at all. About the only good option is the replace the contents with those of the original door. The same would go for the seat. Are there any mounting holes for the sensor on the replacement seat ? Move the sensor over or find a properly equipped seat. "Looks" the same is not the same.
              Ain't THAT the truth-!!
              I've been trying to tell people that for a few decades -!! Some get it, a lot don't.

One VERY COOL thing about GM vehicles is their RPO list. On 99% of trucks it's a two inch by three inch label in the glove box. A whole spec sheet for the entire vehicle with three digit alpha-numeric codes so you can get the right parts, new or used, the first time.

"LOOKS" the same is not the same-!!! AMEN-!!!

Comment

Working...