X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Springy
    • Oct 2018

WANTED!! Broken/unwanted modis/part

Hi all,

My modis (original) has stopped working, snap on tech support has tried the latest software and think I may be down to the scanner module in the back.

So if anyone has spare parts/broken modis/one that was going in the bin then it would be great to get in touch.

The part I'm after is the slot in scanner module part number EAA0319B02A.

I rarely work on cars so I'm not prepared to go all in and buy the latest kit but the capability of the modis still covers all my diagnostic needs.

Thanks guys, hope to hear from you.

Paul
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Would think the slide in part at the back with holes to plug in the probes is called a scope module. Could you possibly turn it on and boot it up and use it with the scope module removed?

Comment

• Springy
      • Oct 2018

The scan module is the smaller one on the left, as you look at the screen, interestingly the scope still seems to be working fine so if I can't get hold of a scan module anywhere I'll have to get a cheap solus for doing any scan work.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
        • Jan 2011

You can get a used modis in the 400-500 range on ebay with old software if you just need parts.

Comment

• Springy
          • Oct 2018

Thanks, just looking at a couple now ideally I'd like to find one with a broken screen or casing, for £4-500 I could get a solus and use my modis for oscilloscope work

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

Thanks, just looking at a couple now ideally I'd like to find one with a broken screen or casing, for £4-500 I could get a solus and use my modis for oscilloscope work
            Ideally you would like to find one with a good battery that takes and holds a charge, and a nice bright functioning screen. Most of the ones off Craigslist and E-bay probably have neither.
            Is the Scan Module even a part that could be swapped out from another unit that is not serial number sensitive and not married to one particular unit's software security checklist on boot up?

Comment

• Springy
              • Oct 2018

Not sure if it can be swapped out, I have the latest software on cf card so I hope it's just a case of updating the new module, seriously considering just getting a solus for scanning, does anyone know if the solus gives the same coverage as the modis????

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

Not sure if it can be swapped out, I have the latest software on cf card so I hope it's just a case of updating the new module, seriously considering just getting a solus for scanning, does anyone know if the solus gives the same coverage as the modis????
                Solus gives same coverage . You say you have latest software update on a CF card for original 4 channel Modis? Here in the USA I thought The original Modis hasn't been supported with updates for a couple years.
                Even if you were able to buy the last final update they made for your Modis, but you could not get your Modis to work it, you won't be able to load that CF card again in another Modis , let alone a Solus and could expect it to work.

Comment

• Springy
                  • Oct 2018

Sorry for the confusion, snapon sent me the last update for the original modis, 16.2 I think. So if I'm able to get hold of another modis I won't be able to load the software onto it? If that's the case I'll go for a solus and keep the modis for oscilloscope work. I don't really work on anything newer than 2014-15 so having the latest software isn't an issue. So long as it gives me full coverage for my 09 disco and vag stuff I'm happy.

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

Yeah, Don't try to install that update card in another unit! It won't work and might even booger up the software card for working in your Modis again should you be able to repair the faulty scan module or source another from a donor Modis. You might want to find out from support, that if the scan module is faulty , barring nothing else wrong internally, could a working donor scan module of the same part # be swappable and the 16.2 software still function after swapping the scan module out?
                    IMO, unless you can't get a straight answer , I wouldn't waste money buying a used one unless found dirt cheap off Craigslist and the scan module could be tried before you buy it Also I would use it for the scope. For slightly more than the cost of a single update for a Solus Ultra (if you don't mind spending that extra 10 to 30 minutes per car looking up pictures of connector faces and searching out guided diagnostics on internet, a budget Chinese scanner can do or just for Volkswagen, a Rosstech VAGCOM for a laptop might be an alternative till you get your Modis fully functional again, God willing .Good Luck to you.
                    Last edited by Witsend; 10-13-2018, 12:39 PM. Reason: Removed links to purchase other brand tools

Comment

Working...