X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Electric vs air

I've had some cordless drills with screwdriver bits I've used for years for doing interior trim screw removals and always used air ratchets and air impact guns for the higher torque hex nuts , but have to deal with dirty, greasy leash of a 3/8"air hose dragged over seats , and fenders, when using air tools.
    I first experienced the torque of the small cordless Dewalt 1/4" driver my contractor friend used and was again recently impressed watching that You tube vid of the heater core removal, and saw guys using similar Lithium ION electric quarter inch hex impact drivers for the diss-assembly.
    I almost bought a cordless 12v Lith Ion 3/8" Milwaukee battery version of a 3/8 air ratchet at home depot but the batteries and charger need to be bought separately. Instead I bought a compact 12v lith Ion 1/4 " impact hex driver complete with battery and charger,HF #68568 for $56 and got another lith Ion battery , a 3pc 1/4 hex to square drive adapter set and purchased a 2 year replacement warranty. Thing seems to work decent, buzzing out things using a10mm socket , like valve cover bolts, splash shields, license plate bolts. Not bad for the money
    Last edited by Witsend; 03-28-2015, 04:17 PM.
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

Still waiting for a cordless/airless version of my air hammer.

Comment

• hefaus
      • Dec 2007

Airless

To funny..Rolmao. Keep Smiling

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Rotary Hammer

Still waiting for a cordless/airless version of my air hammer.

I think the name of an air hammer in an electric version would be called a rotary hammer. (demolition hammer) I guess I don't mind the dirty air hose being dragged under the car, LOL. I might venture triing a cordless version some day at a junkyard when HF sell a HiBoschie knock off<LOL
        Last edited by Witsend; 03-30-2015, 08:02 AM.

Comment

• maven
          • Mar 2014

I use battery powered tools for all my daily needs except for where a 1/2" gun would typically be used. I still rely heavily on my now decade old IR2135.

But for underhood, interior, and most brake work I reach for Dewalt DCF813 3/8" drive 12v compact gun, or fullsize bad *** SnapOn CT8810 3/8 drive 18v lithium.

A fully charge on the DeWalt will get me through a GM 3.4L intake gasket job, no other power tools required, its does everything in most interiors as well, never need more power

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

I use battery powered tools for all my daily needs except for where a 1/2" gun would typically be used. I still rely heavily on my now decade old IR2135.

But for underhood, interior, and most brake work I reach for Dewalt DCF813 3/8" drive 12v compact gun, or fullsize bad *** SnapOn CT8810 3/8 drive 18v lithium.

A fully charge on the DeWalt will get me through a GM 3.4L intake gasket job, no other power tools required, its does everything in most interiors as well, never need more power
            That's pretty impressive from a single battery
            At a new car dealership where people check over their cars with a fine tooth comb you cannot afford not to do what you can to reduce the risk of scuffing finishes, grease and dirt marks and ,oily rusty water mist exhausted from air tools and their attached air hoses.Might save a car detail and letter written on you. Been there done that

Comment

• Wheel
              • Jul 2007

I am still waiting for someone to make a battery powered pistol type soldering gun and heat gun - wiring would go so much easier !!!
              You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• maven
                • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Wheel
                I am still waiting for someone to make a battery powered pistol type soldering gun and heat gun - wiring would go so much easier !!!
                There are cordless ones....they just run on fuel.

Bettery ones are a long way off or wouldnt be worth it.

A typical quality soldering gun is lets say 140W.

Using a readily available 18V/4Ah battery youd get a half hour run time AT MOST

Its even worse with a heat gun...same battery, trying to make a 1500W heat gun youd get maybe two and a half minutes, If you double up on capacity and could run a killer 8Ah battery , youd be lucky if you broke 5 minutes.

Comment

• Wheel
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by maven
                  There are cordless ones....they just run on fuel.

Too many places you have to be careful with those.

Bettery ones are a long way off or wouldnt be worth it.

A typical quality soldering gun is lets say 140W.

Using a readily available 18V/4Ah battery youd get a half hour run time AT MOST

Plenty of time for quick repairs.

Its even worse with a heat gun...same battery, trying to make a 1500W heat gun youd get maybe two and a half minutes, If you double up on capacity and could run a killer 8Ah battery , youd be lucky if you broke 5
                  minutes.

Should be plenty of time to heat shrink a few connections, also that much wattage may not be necessary or even desirable for heat shrink usage.
                  Might be more of a challenge to thaw out a lock on your door, but quick electrical repairs would be entirely feasible even with those limitations.
                  You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• maven
                    • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Wheel
                    Might be more of a challenge to thaw out a lock on your door, but quick electrical repairs would be entirely feasible even with those limitations.
                    I use a SnapOn YAS32A fuel soldering iron exclusively at work. And will continue to do so.

Half hour run time on a soldering iron is plenty, yes. When all it takes is 5 seconds to refuel it with butane. But if I need to charge a battery its a lot less convenient, and as far as extra batteries go, the average $100($165 for Snappy) they run buys a whole load of butane LOL.

Theres also size, and weight. AN 18v/4Ah powered soldering gun/iron would weigh at least 10 times as much a a fuel iron, and would of course have a 3"x4" battery hanging off of it, making it MUCH more work to hold, and impossible to get in the same places as a fuel iron.

Lastly there is the issue of electrical induction. I use a fuel powered iron because there is ZERO chance of inducing any electricity into the circuit Im working on. This eliminates the possibility of damaging modules, sensors or airbag inflators.

The only down side is the exhaust port, but a small free piece of heat shielding made from a welding blanket scrap, leather scrap, or countertop color sample from hardware store solves that issue as well. And also gives you a nice minimal heat conductive surface to solder on, allowing to put less heat into the wire or terminal .

The heat gun being ok with a less than 5 minute run time is absurd. Theres NO WAY I would buy a heat gun that I needed to charge the battery after less than 5 minutes of use. Not only is this inconvenient its going to provide a tool with a short short service life. Batteries can only be charge so many times. As far as if that much wattage is required, well cutting it in half to 750watts(below what even most hairdryers operate at) would still be notably less than 6 minutes of use with a 4Ah battery.

Comment

• dodge90
                      • Oct 2014

I love my cordless tools, yea yea, I bought the snapy one a few years ago and love it, up graded to the 9.5v only cause I couldnt see spending the $ on the latest and greatest. do lots of dash work and not to worrie about that greasy air hose. no matter how much it gets cleaned still leaves some type of mark inside cars is great. dewalt cordless 1/2 in guns work good for me. snapy wants wayyyyyyy to much for my pocket. Just wish I had them back in the "road service days". dewalts Impact driver is impresive power. to much power for dash work.
                      I've tried and tried, but can't seem to fix stupid!

Comment

Working...