Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

Great Moments In Science

This took me totally off guard. I installed a passenger mirror on a 2010 f150. Before I let it go I thought I would check to see if the heat in the mirror was working. So I grabbed my Snappy infrared camera and pointed it at the mirror. To my surprise rather than seeing the heat grid signature I saw an infrared reflection in the mirror. So clear I could see the all the way to the person sitting in the drivers seat ??!!!. Huh... Does this really work this way ? I guess it makes sense. Energy is energy, just because you can't see it, it's still there right ? But I didn't know it would reflect in a mirror. I tried it a few more times, but I installed that mirror outside where there was a larger temperature difference. In the shop it doesn't show up so good. So before I went home tonight I tried it again outside, aiming at a truck mirror ( It's not science if you can't duplicate your results and it was getting near 40 degrees outside). Perfect !!! Yes it works. Cool , this means your infrared camera will work around corners if you have a mirror.
    Attached Files
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

Another great use for your Thermo Diagnostic Imager. If your shop has a boiler system for heat with heated floors you can quickly diagnose trouble areas. Our shop has multiple zones and it is difficult to keep thing evenly heated. The first cold air of the season and the front offices were cold, a quick look around and I found the pump for that zone to be inoperative just by scanning the pipes. Each zone also has a mixing valve which can be manually adjusted to control temperature. This is a lot easier to get everything even now that I can compare pipe temps quickly.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

Seems like with that thing you might see through bushes,and see hidden pheasants, deer, rabbits, or a person if you used it outside.
      Last edited by Witsend; 11-23-2016, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• greasybob
        • May 2008

build your own plasma cutter !!

Ok, so it's only good for cutting aluminum foil. But you could always scale it up a bit. Take four 9 volt batteries connect them in series, get two test leads a piece of foil and a lead from a refillable pencil. Then have some fun
        Attached Files

Comment

• Joe Rappa
          Snap-on DSD
          • Aug 2007

greasybob, have you been hanging out with witsend?

Joe
          "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
          Henry Ford

Comment

• greasybob
            • May 2008

I was fabricating an aluminum foil hat for him.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

Cool, Already got a red one,but I guess it could use some strands of tinsel

Comment

• greasybob
                • May 2008

No strings attatched

You too can levitate a screwdriver. The air passing over the top of the screw driver creates enough of a pressure differential (vacuum) that the screwdriver will stay in position in mid air. At least until there's some turbulence and it starts to spin.
                Attached Files

Comment

• greasybob
                  • May 2008

Check out this cool experiment. I took my inductive heater, put the biggest coil on it. Then took some copper wire and coil it up tighter so it would fit inside the inductive heater coil. Then I hooked up my Vantage Ultra to the ends of the coiled up wire to see how much voltage the inside coil of wire would pick up. About 6 volts alternating current at about 110 Hertz. I also attached a 194 light bulb to the circuit to see if there was enough power to light it up. Just a little dim. Next I gotta try different gages of wire to see if I can increase the output. Pretty cool !!!!
                  Attached Files

Comment

• greasybob
                    • May 2008

I knew I could do better than just 6 volts AC so I improved my design. I coiled up some 22 gage magnet wire, built a circuit of a 4 diode rectifier bridge and added 5, 50 volt capacitors in series. Now I got 150 volts of nice smooth DC .
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

Bob , I bet you could make up a good Rube Goldberg Trigger loop to attach to #1 fuel injector or #1 coil primary control wire that I could then get that bulky Counselor II's #1 inductive spark plug pickup around and get a trigger signal.

Comment

• greasybob
                        • May 2008

A nice early spring day and things can get out of control pretty quickly. This + This = Propulsion.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

Ha Ha What would happen if you substituted a waste spark coil for the present coil and run a extra spark plug wire to a spark plug threaded into section of pipe near exit with a ground wire back to engine and inject some carb cleaner just before the plug at back for additional thrust?
                          Last edited by Witsend; 02-17-2017, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• Matt
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Witsend
                            Ha Ha What would happen if you substituted a waste spark coil for the present coil and run a extra spark plug wire to a spark plug threaded into section of pipe near exit with a ground wire back to engine and inject some carb cleaner just before the plug at back for additional thrust?

I think your referring to an afterburner

Comment

• Witsend
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2012

A V-8 Buzz Bob ? just need a tapered metal cone at the end of pipe like a rocket has for the hot expanding gases .

Comment

Working...