Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antthecat
    • Apr 2014

Vag Battery coding

Hi. Today I had the (simple-ish) task to fit a new battery to a 2014 Audi Q3 2.0l TDI.

Knowing the battery BEM code needs programming instead of grabbing VCDS I went for the Verus.

This vehicle did not have the seperate battery management address (61 I believe), it is in address 19 diagnostic data bus (or can gateway as some scanners call it).

Under normal mode I was surprised not to find any battery coding under special functions.

I think I could have done it under expert mode but knowing the adaption channels by memory is not my strongest point.

Could this be added please. Many Thanks.
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Maybe a Channel Guide or an Enigma DeCoder search bar for the most desirable
    Channels to access common functions in a timely matter without having to Refer to The Gutenberg Bible to do things?

Comment

• GypsyR
      • Jul 2017

We had a Launch that happily threw all the channels out there for us to get into. It'd be nice if there were SOME indication of what channel was what and what we needed once in there. German engineering carryover or something. "If you are not knowing already, we are not telling." Never had understood that Teutonic attitude.
      I've noticed it took years for Snap On to realize that a LOT people were actively using Mode $06 and to decide to make it slightly more accessible and understandable. On a scanner whose purpose is to access exactly that type of info. Duh. There's still such a big divide between the people who design such tools and the people who actually use them.

At a Snap on sales seminar I heard it claimed that Snap On is going to be providing the OEM service programming tooling and such for many of the tier one manufacturers. I'd be a lot more impressed by that if people didn't keep coming on here asking why they can't access this or that module in a car from one of those same manufacturers.

Comment

• tech25
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by GypsyR
        At a Snap on sales seminar I heard it claimed that Snap On is going to be providing the OEM service programming tooling and such for many of the tier one manufacturers. I'd be a lot more impressed by that if people didn't keep coming on here asking why they can't access this or that module in a car from one of those same manufacturers.
        Very interesting, could you elaborate exactly what information you heard?

thanks.

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

In Layman's terms Just what exactly is a Terror One manufacturer? Maybe put it in something simpler than Layman's terms because the wife doesn't think I'm even measuring up to that.

Comment

• GypsyR
            • Jul 2017

Tier one being the big OEM's. Where tier 2 is the struggling also-rans like Daewoo and Saab.

Part of the big push to get people to buy a new Zeus was/is that Snap On has and will the inside track on OEM TSB's because Snap On is moving to be the provider of OEM tools. So supposedly GM's newest version of the Tech2 will be a Snap On made machine. Plus the the Kent-Moore and OTC type tooling will be Snap On. I wasn't clear whether this is a done deal or in progress. There's probably press releases about all of it somewhere. Names I heard (and remember) were Ford, GM, and Nissan. Pretty sure at least one more.

Comment

• sbreland73
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by GypsyR
              Snap On is moving to be the provider of OEM tools. So supposedly GM's newest version of the Tech2 will be a Snap On made machine. Plus the the Kent-Moore and OTC type tooling will be Snap On.
              Bosch thought they had this trick in the bag too some years back, with their Mastertech VCI. But alas, some OEMs decided against it.
              S. Breland

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

I think the OEMs will incorporate the scan tool right into the vehicle that will turn On Star on and accommodate the customer with directions to the nearest dealer that can provide a free hot cup off coffee and a loaner car. On Star will also advise customers of new car app for phone and on dash to display any calibration updates and cost options to let On Star auto update all the modules. StrapOn , OPP , Kent Less and The MarlBoro Man ,together with the OE's will continue to Brainstorm to come up with a need for new types of specialty tools and Funk Fasteners that the dealer will get the tools first , and the rest of us will have to buy a $300 set of anti tamper Penta Star Tangent Square Minus bits next year to keep ya'll on the tool truck teet.

Comment

• Crusty
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by sbreland73
                  Bosch thought they had this trick in the bag too some years back, with their Mastertech VCI. But alas, some OEMs decided against it.
                  Back in the 60's and 70's BOTCH had a good QUALITY record.
                  Now they have grown so big and powerful that they accept mediocrity and work the failure rate numbers just like insurance calculations. I prefer my repair rate to be 100%, not 70%.

This entire industry needs to standardize, just like Heating, Air Conditioning, Plumbing, Electricity industries have.
                  Each can have their own features but there are certain standards that must be common.
                  OBD and OBD-II were a start, but OBD-II is now over 20 years in the past.

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

You know when OE companies get on board promoting a Specific brand aftermarket brand scanner , it will likely be bad for us. Big $ convenience means the factory tool functions we want will be right there as a pay as you go premium licensed tiered subscription, but if not kept religiously updated all you'll have in standard form will likely be a glorified code scanner with less than you have now if updates aren't current. Together they Most likely pool legal resources to put big Tariffs on the Chinese scanners displacing more than 700cc. of options like Harley did in the 80's to japs. and continually put the screw to them to downgrade non J-box capability and remove more factory functions from the tools to keep us continually on the OE J or X box subscription . teet .
                    Last edited by Witsend; 01-25-2018, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Working...