X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

New Car Dealership Tech Questions

I know that the OE Scan Tool is the Go To tool for check engine lights, re-flashes , and key programming , however it might be very expensive to buy your own, so you don't have to wait for one of the car Dealership Scanners to become available.
    Are you still allowed to bring and use your own personal aftermarket scan tool at the dealership level any longer? With advent of LSID and other Draconian security of newer cars, is using a non factory scan tool for check engine lights forbidden because they think, these scan tools may damage electronics or connect to WIFI and Server where Information flow of car can be remotely studied by Foreign Engineers , that they will somehow crack the security codes, and siphon off dealer gravy work long before the new cars start showing up in junkyards after five years or so?
    Last edited by Witsend; 04-24-2019, 02:25 PM.
  • Glide
    • Jan 2015

The OEMs offer dealership techs scan tools at a reduced rate if they want their own.I don't know of any dealer that doesn't have a aftermarket scan tool for other brands.
    The other stuff you speak of...I don't know how to respond to that.

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

The other stuff you speak of...I don't know how to respond to that.
      As far as vehicle security is concerned, in recent years it seem way more about keeping the repair work at the dealership level as long as possible after warranty is up , than making it more difficult for thieves to obtain vehicles.(It's way easier to Car jack them from owners when they often automatically brake for a Car Jacker jumping out in front of vehicle , LOL .Now that most aftermarket scan tools now have WIFI connected to the internet, their new car software coding can possibly be studied remotely and reverse engineered quicker than if they actually had to obtain vehicles to test from.Just thought some of the Car manufactures have released dealer memos forbidding aftermarket scan tools being hooked up to any new cars of their brand.
      Maybe a Scantool company approaches a recent tech school graduate apprentice at a Such n Such brand dealer and tells him that if he can hook a brand new unreleased Athena Paratestes (2 channel scope scanner ) to 5 different new 2020 model Pre delivery inspections for an hour or two on a battery maintainer with the Scanner on Team Viewer mode for Beta Testing purposes, the new scanner will be his after 90 days.
      Last edited by Witsend; 04-25-2019, 06:12 AM.

Comment

• Glide
        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Witsend
        in recent years it seem way more about keeping the repair work at the dealership level as long as possible after warranty is up .
        Not only in recent years.The OEMs have always wanted every one of the cars that they sell to go to a dealer for all service and repairs.They wouldn't be much of a business if they didn't.
        I remember back in the early '80s when on one of the first GM fuel injection training courses, the instructor telling us that with the advent of computer controls,aftermarket repair shops would forever would be limited to oil changes,suspension,and brake work.Later J2534 came into play...Thanks California.

Comment

• Skip
          Super Moderator
          • Apr 2008

Scanner companies buy OE scan tools and rent new cars to get all the info they want. Dealer techs can use an aftermarket tool if they want. Some companies like MBZ link service info through the tool based on VIN so an aftermarket tool isn't as much use.

Comment

Working...