Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

02 Dakota Min Air Flow test

Have an 02 Dakota 4.7 (sorry no VIN at this time) with a stalling problem under heavy braking. First thought was a fuel pick up problem as the low fuel light was on so added some gas to the tank and not much difference, No stall now but RPM still dropped way too low, around 300 rpm before making a recovery (no codes). That was yesterday so today I first did a Minimum Air flow test, vehicle stalled everytime. If I read the test correctly this should not happen, correct ? Unfortunately I can't open the test now as I'm not connected to the vehicle anymore, (why with Chrysler Products do you have to be connected to the vehicle to open the scanner ?). Here's the thing> If I remember correctly the test says that at min air flow the vehicle should idle at approx 640 rpm. And if it doesn't to adjust the idle set screw until it does, then relearn minimum TPS. Also unfortunate is that it is now snowing quite heavely and doing a hard brake would not be possible, I'll wait til tomorrow to see if the stalling problem is gone. But now when I looked up the MIN IDLE TEST in Shop Key the proecedure seems a little different. It calls for disconnecting the PVC and installing tool adapter 6714 before doing the MIN AIR flow test. and see if idle stays between 500 and 900 rpm and says nothing about adjusting the idle set screw. If it doesn't, replace throttle body. What gives ? I don't recall reading that in the functional test in the Verus ( version 12.4). I'm always a bit hestant to turn an idle set screw, if the TPS and AIS motor work the PCM should be able compensate for load. Before I did any thing I made sure that the throttle body was clean, fuel pressure was good, and the IAC was in working order and no vacuum leaks. So why is the Verus test different than the the way the test appears in Shop Key ?
  • Skip
    Super Moderator
    • Apr 2008

You are right to hesitate. The recommended Chrysler repair is to replace the throttle body, not adjust the screw. The special tool is an oriface designed to let in a specific amount of air to keep the engine from stalling. There are 2 of them. One for 4's and 6's and one for 8's. I don't remember the size of the holes but if you want I can try and find them.

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

Sorry it took so long to get back to you Skip. Here is the Min Air Flow test procedure as it is in the Snap On trouble shooter. seems different from what is instructed in Shop Key.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Skip
        Super Moderator
        • Apr 2008

I'll look into this. It was written before I got here. Thanks.

Comment

Working...