• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thebricyoung
    thebric
    • Oct 2006

the diagnostic aproach

hi all,
    this might be a good a thread idea,for those who have or havent used the vantage or modis component level testing. How do you aproach your diagnostics,do you have a set list of tests. how do you get to the root of a problem. thanks for your input!
  • jsoullier
    SDE Member
    • Oct 2006

The first step I take in solving a complaint is to get as detailed a description of the symptoms as possible. When I hear a customer start with "it's just not running right" I go to a check list of symtoms & parameters that help me narrow down just what the complaint or issue involves. Many times the customer has a wealth of knowledge, it just has to be drawn out of them. Once I have a firm grasp on the complaint, then I move into diagnosis and repair. Information and where to find it, is the most important piece to solving the puzzle. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• Transman
      SDE Member
      • Oct 2006

I agree, get all the info from the customer that you can, cold, hot, etc. See if you can make it do it, take the customer for a ride and ask them to point out the problem, we hear all the noises and maybe not the one the customer is looking for. Then I park my butt in front of the computer and check for tsb's and any info as to typical symptoms, don't forget the troubleshooter in the Modis, there is a bunch of stuff inside there. I also will give the vehicle a quick visual for obvious things, vacuum lines, plug wire off, etc. Try not to over-complicate the problem as most of the time is is a upfront mechanical thing. Each case is different but the process is basically the same. Remember this is a generic scenerio and will change somewhat depending on the area you are looking at. I follow different paths as I am sure everyone does depending on what I am looking for like engine miss or no start, trans shift problems or no move. Hope this adds insight, Transman
      We can be right or we can be wrong, But we don't learn from being right!

Comment

• thebricyoung
        thebric
        • Oct 2006

well just a little more on the topic,maybe you know or dont. when you look at your component test in vantage/modis the list starts with the most effective tests to the least effective tests. the tutorials are limitless in educating (reminding you what you forgot maybe) personally its one the best features of snappys tools in my opinion
        For me after the customer interview,roadtest and tsb/tip search. The electrical system test is allways next every car no matter what, the charging system is critical. Especially with todays overloaded electrical systems its even more important.

Comment

Working...