Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GypsyR
    • Jul 2017

No "GEM" on 2000 F150?

Kind of odd. Did a "scan all" on a current Zeus on this truck. This throws up a list of codes on this model but they aren't listed under each module, just spaces in between the different ones. 3 PCM codes, space space, 2 ABS codes, etc.
    Not usually hard to tell which codes came from which module and of course you can just check any module individually.

OK, in this list were codes that jumped out at me as being GEM/BCM codes. (Going by memory) Stuff like P1352 Ignition key-in fault, P0500 VSS, etc. About six of them. So I went back to the module list to verify these were in fact GEM codes and there is no GEM on the list. Checked all the other modules and the codes weren't under those. So 18.4 thinks this truck doesn't have a GEM. Grabbed the Solus Edge with 16.4 and it did not list a GEM for the truck either. Plus it wouldn't pull up the GEM codes at all.

So I can see that these codes exist in this truck by using exactly one scan method but I can't clear them or look at them in detail.

I've seen similar trucks not have GEM's. If this one hadn't returned those codes I would have assumed it didn't either and moved on. My guess is in the software list this vehicle is not "supposed to" have a GEM?

Not a big deal. A very small thing actually. Well, as long as I don't NEED to look at the GEM.
  • BRIAN617
    • Dec 2016

Never seen a '00 F150 without GEM, anything special about the truck? Did you look at the back of the fuse box to verify?

Comment

• GypsyR
      • Jul 2017

The truck isn't the issue. The scanner software doesn't have the GEM on the list for that particular year model everyday F150. I imagine it to be simply a minor omission. With all the info such a scanner encompasses and all the bases they are trying to make it cover I imagine it's not an easy job to dot every i and cross every T.

I'm used to seeing an excess of modules in the list. Like ABS listed even though the vehicle may not actually be equipped with it. (Which is fine) Having a vehicle return error codes from a module the scanner says doesn't exist came across as odd. I would have thought little of it had it been something other than a bread and butter truck.

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

I believe it was a few years later , but Ford renamed the Generic Engineering modules GEM to become the Front Engineering Module(FEM) after adding a Rear Engineering Module (REM)

Comment

• Glide
          • Jan 2015

GEM = General Electronics Module

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

GEM = General Electronics Module
            Oops my bad, I must have just finished watching a train wreck video on Youtube

Comment

Working...