Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • badcoupe
    • Jan 2011

Who's done BMW?

I had a shop call me about flashing a 02 5 series that they've put a used pcm in. Anything I need to know ahead of time? Will the immobilizer and everything take or do I need to send it out to dealer? Thanks!
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

Mike

Sorry for the delay in responding, had a crazy couple of days. Have you watched the videos on the Drew-tech site? Might change your mind on wanting to do a BMW no less putting in a used PCM. If you haven't seen them yet watch both videos. You can't charge enough to do these!

Steve

Comment

• badcoupe
      • Jan 2011

Thanks for the response Steve, I"ll watch them later, I haven't given him an answer yet, we had a death in the family so I've had that going the last few days.

Comment

• Steve6911
        • Feb 2007

Very sorry for your loss Mike! If you do take this project on make sure you have A LOT of time and a VERY GOOD reflashing charger! You may want to wait till after the 14th as BMW/Mini will have a new version of ISTA out on that date. Here is their log in page and links to requirements, info etc

Here is a BMW overview

Installation guide

Here is the first of 7 short videos on Youtube, watch them all, takes about a half an hour.

Now the Drew-Tech videos are a bit old, it doesn't take as long to download and install as they say but again on 4/14 a new version is coming out so who knows!!! As far as the used PCM I'm not sure how/if that will work or if it can/will take any thing out. The cool thing is that ISTA will locate all the modules in the vehicle and flash and code them as needed. My thoughts, I would try just a "simple" reflash first. Also I have been told ISTA doesn't play well with others so a separate or partitioned PC would be recommended. I have a separate one. Note you need 80 gigs of space for the present version, the new version?????

Hope this helps you, and again SORRY for your loss!

Steve
        Last edited by Steve6911; 04-12-2014, 03:59 AM. Reason: Added another link

Comment

• Orevin
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by badcoupe
          I had a shop call me about flashing a 02 5 series that they've put a used pcm in. Anything I need to know ahead of time? Will the immobilizer and everything take or do I need to send it out to dealer? Thanks!
          You won't be able to use a used PCM, unless you send it out to a company that can virginize the it.

When you get it back (or get a new one), ISTA will take care of everything needed, like immobilizer alignment and coding/programming, if necessary. It's a painless, but time consuming process.
          -Kai-
          Chicago, IL

Comment

• derktins
            • Oct 2012

badcoupe,

We have done a lot of module replacements on BMW's. Not just PCM's, but lighting modules, body modules, etc.

You will need a new module. Used won't work.

Reflashing with ISTA/P is easy once you get the hang of it. Sometimes the flashing takes a while, depending on the size of the files, but we charge accordingly and make good money on them.

Getting ISTA and ISTA/P set up and running can be a real pain. But once the program is installed and operational, the process is pretty easy. It takes a minute to get the hang of the software, which is much different than other manufacturer's reflashing programs, but once you figure it out it's a breeze. The program pretty much does everything for you, you just follow the directions it gives.

When something does go wrong it can get a little hairy, but for the most part I haven't had many problems doing BMW's and Mini's.

On BMW's and Mini's that are 2005 or older, you will have to jumper DLC pins 7 and 8 together in order to carry out any reflashing with a J2534 tool. This is easy to do if you have a DLC breakout box. If not, you can do it by backprobing the pins at the DLC.

This is covered in the ISTA/P User's Guide on the BMW site very well including a complete list of all Chassis #'s that require jumping the DLC pins. Bosch also cover's in on their website for the MVCI J2534 tool, here: http://www.boschdiagnostics.com/supp...letin_0113.pdf

2005 and older is a "Rule of Thumb", so to speak.

Comment

• badcoupe
              • Jan 2011

Thanks again guys, I contacted the the other shop and informed them that a used one won't work, awaiting a response from them.

Comment

• ttrain0331
                • Oct 2013

BMW

Badcoupe,
                On board with others on post. Don't try used one. We are looking into a complete turn key BMW ICOM system from Baum tools. Comes loaded with factory Icom system. Price tag is not real outrageous, but still pricey. Not as pricey as auto logic and you still have to purchase a BMW/Mini subscription, daily/monthly or yearly. Once you use ISTA/P and make a few mistakes it's not so bad. takes awhile as it will tell you what modules will be reprogrammed and coded. Sorry for your loss.
                "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take!" Wayne Gretzky NHL hall of famer

Comment

Working...