Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Does anybody know if I can run the 6.7L Cummins with the valve cover off and do a visual like Wits 5.9 video?
    That video is not my video , just a link to a random public video found on YouTube.
    If the problem is intermittent, did you make sure you don't also have an actual issue with the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor or wiring, and the fuel pressure is just defaulting to some higher than normal level?
    Thought I recall in the video of the 5.9 leak the guy unplugged or jumped the FRP connector to intentionally create a higher than normal fuel rail pressure in order to see the injector leakage better.

Comment

• BRIAN617
      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Matt
      Does anybody know if I can run the 6.7L Cummins with the valve cover off and do a visual like Wits 5.9 video?
      Use UV dye (pour some in the fuel filter) if you think you have leak under the valve cover. Then you wont have to run it with the top off.

Comment

• Matt
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Witsend
        That video is not my video , just a link to a random public video found on YouTube.
        If the problem is intermittent, did you make sure you don't also have an actual issue with the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor or wiring, and the fuel pressure is just defaulting to some higher than normal level?
        Thought I recall in the video of the 5.9 leak the guy unplugged or jumped the FRP connector to intentionally create a higher than normal fuel rail pressure in order to see the injector leakage better.
        I didn't mean that you made the video Wit, sorry for the confusion. I was just referring to it in generalities.

Comment

• Matt
          • Dec 2008

Have you guys had any success performing an injector flow return test? If so, do snap on scanners have the ability to initiate the "fuel pressure override test"?
          Last edited by Matt; 04-24-2019, 06:56 AM.

Comment

• Matt
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
            I have 2 thoughts.

1) Don't let his budget become your problem. If you put a single injector in it you'll probably be blamed when the next one goes. Perform your diagnosis and repair independent of customer funds. In the end, the truck needs what it needs, and it's not your fault.

2) You can do a return flow test on it, but it's not easy on a Cummins, and you'll have to replace all the feed pipes to do it. If he's got no money, he won't want to do this either. If it was me, as soon as he said he didn't have the money to fix it, I'd cut him loose.

Joe
            You called that one Joe, he never committed to even the one injector. So many times we mechanics are preoccupied with CAN we do the job, we need to be more concerned with SHOULD we do the job.

Comment

Working...