Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kirkbarrow.garage
    • Jan 2015

Solus Pro Problem

So, I just picked up ( cheaply ) a Solus Pro, but all it does after connecting to ac power ( no internal battery ( yet ) ) is three rapid short beeps, space then three more rapid short beeps.
    Does anyone have an idea what it is trying to tell me please ?
    Thanks, 😎😎
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Can you jumper a battery from a cordless drill or equivalent of the same voltage as the Solus Pro battery to the internal contacts for the battery to see if it still does it or boots up correctly or not ?

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
      • Jan 2015

Battery.

Originally posted by Witsend
      Can you jumper a battery from a cordless drill or equivalent of the same voltage as the Solus Pro battery to the internal contacts for the battery to see if it still does it or boots up correctly or not ?
      That is something that has crossed my mind, however, I have no idea which of the three cables ( red, black & yellow ) is going to do what due to our ever helpful Snap On not giving out circuit diagrams of their electronic equipment.
      Doing this would be child's play otherwise to me 😇😇😎😎😇😇 due to spending my first part of my working life as an electronics technician which is why I can fix this sooner or later 😎😎

Comment

• David Green
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by kirkbarrow.garage
        So, I just picked up ( cheaply ) a Solus Pro, but all it does after connecting to ac power ( no internal battery ( yet ) ) is three rapid short beeps, space then three more rapid short beeps.
        Does anyone have an idea what it is trying to tell me please ?
        Thanks, 😎😎
        I just tried mine, at switch on the Solus Pro beeps once, then shows the Solus Pro menus, from there it just goes through the menus manually when selected, no more beeps.

When you turn it off, pressing the power button once cause it to beep once, then press yes and the scanner turns off with a long beep. Sorry can't be any more help, but sounds like you have a faulty scanner.

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
          • Jan 2015

Beeping

Originally posted by David Green
          I just tried mine, at switch on the Solus Pro beeps once, then shows the Solus Pro menus, from there it just goes through the menus manually when selected, no more beeps.

When you turn it off, pressing the power button once cause it to beep once, then press yes and the scanner turns off with a long beep. Sorry can't be any more help, but sounds like you have a faulty scanner.

Hi, yes I had guessed this, but I do hope I can figure something once I get to know more about the way the system can function.
          I may need to find another so I can compare internal operations.

Comment

• David Green
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by kirkbarrow.garage
            Hi, yes I had guessed this, but I do hope I can figure something once I get to know more about the way the system can function.
            I may need to find another so I can compare internal operations.
            If I can be of any further help, please let me know.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

David, Well what does yours do without the internal battery installed , if you plugged into a vehicle's DLC or the AC power adapter and turned on it on?

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by David Green
                If I can be of any further help, please let me know.
                To be honest, what I would do if I had a second was disassemble it and discover the terminal voltages on the three colored wires, however I do no want anyone to do that to their working units as it might upset them in some way.
                However I have found another faulty one with a bad display, so I will try to acquire this and go from there 😇😇😇

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                  Snap-on DSD
                  • Aug 2007

Even with no battery in the unit, it should still power up. If it doesn't work with the AC adapter, try plugging it into a vehicle with the 16 pin OBD2 adapter. that should power it as well.
                  If that doesn't work, call Tech Support. It's probably going to need to go in for repair.
                  Joe
                  "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                  Henry Ford

Comment

• Crusty
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
                    Even with no battery in the unit, it should still power up. If it doesn't work with the AC adapter, try plugging it into a vehicle with the 16 pin OBD2 adapter. that should power it as well.
                    If that doesn't work, call Tech Support. It's probably going to need to go in for repair.
                    Joe
                    That's the best information in this thread Joe.

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

Maybe also try removing the main cable and just plug into the AC Adapter and turn it on.( to eliminate chance that internally damaged wires within the cable as a possible cause?)

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                        Snap-on DSD
                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Crusty
                        Thanks Crusty. I try to be helpful one or two times every year. :-)
                        Any more often than that makes me tired.

Joe
                        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                        Henry Ford

Comment

• Crusty
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
                          Thanks Crusty. I try to be helpful one or two times every year. :-)
                          Any more often than that makes me tired.

Joe
                          I think you've hit your quota and it's only MAY. Seven more months to go..

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
                            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Witsend
                            Maybe also try removing the main cable and just plug into the AC Adapter and turn it on.( to eliminate chance that internally damaged wires within the cable as a possible cause?)
                            Hi witsend, this is how I was trying as it has no battery, I might, ( if I get ' 5 ' minutes time, try it on a vehicle with just the data link cable.

There is no possibility of the cable being defective as it is brand new and works great on my Solus, Modis & MTG2500 Scanner.

If Snap On had a circuit diagram, it would make much more sense as I am a ( deep breath ) Radio, Television, Satellite, Video & Audio Technician who retrained as a Vehicle Technician, who for fun in my ' spare ' time, repairs cell phones, tablets, laptops and pc's as well as upgrading laptops and pc's and building pc's too; so this is not difficult, just awkward with nothing to read or study circuit wise.

Comment

• kirkbarrow.garage
                              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Crusty
                              To be honest, I would not send it to Snap On as that would exponentially increase the value imbued in the Solus Pro without increasing any return, plus if I did find a circuit diagram or layout, I can repair it myself.

Comment

Working...