X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

04 Expedition replace ABS module/HCU assembly

Have a customer with a 04 Expedition with Midwest Rusty lines and undercarriage he's in love with thing enough to have transmission rebuilt despite telling him his brake lines are rotting and ABS unit is inoperative with a code for the ABS pump. Now one is leaking he wants me to replace all the brake lines, but I told him , I wouldn't be able to perform the automated bleed procedure unless the ABS module and or complete HCU assembly with pump gets changed out with another assembly with another ABS module of same exact part #. Which he was able to find and order off Ebay and have by weekend.
    I'm hoping before doing any brake line replacement to select programmable module installation on Maxi Cyst and then just plug the used assembly in when instructed to do so and hopefully it successfully write the correct VIN # to the module of the used replacement ABS module and HCU assembly before I can commit myself to doing those rusty lines and then being unable to perform any automated bleed procedure afterwards to get any sort of brake pedal. Is this something anyone has been able to do without a J box and a sub purchased from Ford?
    I'm not sure it can be done with a SnapOn Scanner yet but I'm sure plenty shops have Port Freight 08, Cyst 908, or a Lunch box and weigh in with their experience
  • Glide
    • Jan 2015

I've never installed a used Ford ABS module,but I did find this info.

CAUTION: Do not replace stability assist modules installed on vehicles built before February 2003 with those manufactured after February 2003.

NOTE: When installing a new module, it must be calibrated and reconfigured (either by download/upload or uploading the as-built database method).

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

I told the guy to make sure he orders correct ABS assembly with a module ID of 4L1T-2C219-DB and be sure it's for an 04 with 4x4 and Advance Trak. The seller shipped him a unit from an 03 where the module part is damaged ( cracked )and part # suffix ends in an AB and I see 4x2. He needs to send it back for a refund, but I figured I would experiment and try a programmable module installation to see if it would transfer the correct VIN from old one .Not sure it did because it failed the module configuration procedure and had a module configuration fault code for it (not a VIN Mismatch Code). The original codes for the ABS pump circuit and neg bus communication fault didn't display. Wheel speed Pids displayed. The ABS pump could be actuated in active test, other VSC related PIDS like steering angle and Yaw sensor PIDs did not display with this incorrect module though.Bet I could do the Automated bleed after replacing the brake tubes though
      Attached Files

Comment

• tech25
        • Oct 2017

hmmm. this sounds like some customer..anyways...the wrong part i think wont work for you, at least you were able to verify the original module is faulty. but i think you will have to have the correct part to move forward.

Comment

• bestdamgarage
          • Apr 2016

Wit even if you get the right one and end up using your j-box good luck getting as built data for a ford that old.

Comment

• BRIAN617
            • Dec 2016

Just replace the assembly and bleed, you don't need to reprogram the VIN for it to work.

That part number shows to inter change 03-4 Nav and Exped with trac control

3L1T-CA AND CB
            4L1T-CA,CB,DA,DB, EC

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

Interim Fix to move vehicle for now

HorseShaq says Welcome back Brake brake pedal! Horse shoed the two rear outlet ports of HCU. I can move that Turd around without No pedal to the floor worries and puddles of brake fluid pooling on the floor. I could do Stress free Brake Torques on demand in the parking lot if I wanted to. Pick at it and Do a one rear line section a day and not have my stall disabled.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Witsend; 08-28-2018, 09:33 AM.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                • Apr 2011

So much incorrect information. Anyways, as long as the part numbers are interchangeable, you shouldn't have a problem installing and reprogramming used ABS module. I usually get this info from dealer or (I couldn't believe it at first) from eBay. You can also get it straight from the module itself if you can communicate with it. No taking it out hassle. Then of course you will need As Built Data which is easily available through ford website. So getting the as built data should NEVER be a problem. Transferring VIN has never worked for me. Even BMW has this option and I tried it before and it wouldn't take. Tried it with Ford as well and stopped bc it's easier to just program these modules which takes about 10 minutes or less. Anyways, that's my essay. Good day and good luck.

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

Just replace the assembly and bleed, you don't need to reprogram the VIN for it to work.

That part number shows to inter change 03-4 Nav and Exped with trac control

3L1T-CA AND CB
                  4L1T-CA,CB,DA,DB, EC
                  Well I got another used assembly that suffix ends in a DA instead of the DB and just plugged it in. It had 3 codes C1998 Module Calibration Fault, B2900 VIN mismatch, and U1900 Can communication bus fault -receive error.
                  I tried clearing the codes and naturally they would not clear.
                  I plugged the original one back in and selected programmable module installation which pulled VIN and other information from the original module. I turned off key as instructed andinstalled the salvage yard one, finished procedure and did a IVD reset procedure after backing vehicle to level ground and instructed to turn steering from one stop to the other. I checked codes and the module calibration fault and the Vin mismatch codes were gone, but the U1900 CAN communication fault- receive error was still present and could not be erased, so not I'm not sure if this module is defective too or maybe just needs a Parameter Reset to B@tch Slap something to start listening. I was able to run the pump on active test.Any ideas?
                  I decided to order the Preformed Motorcraft brake tubes that were available from Rock Auto for this 2004 Expedition with Traction Control (Build date to 12/ 03.) (some of the OE brake tubes do appear to have stainless steel braided flex sections, so hopefully preformed tubes make things a little easier. to change out some of the brake tubes.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Witsend; 08-28-2018, 09:37 AM.

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

Well I got suspicious because of the U1900 CAN communication bus fault receive error in the ABS and the U1262 SCP data link fault in the Hybrid Electronic instrument cluster, interior lamps did not come on opening any doors, as well as Scanner did not see more modules especially the 4x4 control module and the Vehicle Security module . I checked power and grounds of the 4x4 module and the 2 communication wires between the 4X4 module and ABS tested ok . I then tested the purple communication wire between the 4x4 module and pin 3 of DLC and it had no continuity . I decided to check a splice that the VSM and the 4X4 module both share located near G301 just rearward of left kick panel, and found a previously repaired splice that had green death . After repair of rejoining violet communication wires back together , the Scan Tool Communicated with 5 more modules and was able to clear all the codes out of everything , so yeah, I believe the Cyst worked out ok for transferring the VIN and as built data from old module and writing it to the used replacement (Programmable module installation)without the need to buy a sub and use a J box. Still Not quite plug and play and could be hit or miss, but it kinda makes me happy not having to give Furd a cent for fixing a Turd they made that's made not to be plug and play. If you have an IDS and you work for someone and your boss is paying for all the subs, then by all means, I think it's the best way to go I do think the location of S349 just under the front of the LF door sill plate and rear end of the LF kick panel is worth having a look at if you have no communication with the 4x4 , VSM, and other modules that you should see, and might otherwise believe is a POS Scanner that just too hit or miss and lacks the ability to detect everything all the time to be The Go to Tool in a professional shop. Glad I checked further. Hit or Miss Chinaman tool is absolved from sin and off the hook for a Miss( this time :-)
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Witsend; 08-28-2018, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

Well I thought getting the half dozen Motorcraft preformed brake tubes from Rock Auto for this 2004 Expedition seemed to be a great idea initially at the time because the 2 lines from the master had braided stainless steel sections but only received one of the 6 ordered tubes September 1st and had to do an on line report saying the other 5 lines were missing from the box.
                      Customer took his vehicle back to his home with a good brake pedal with only functioning front brakes with the original ABS TCS module unplugged and blown brake rear brake lines bypassed at the HCU. The harness connector was plugged into the used salvage yard ABS module assembly I did the programmable module installation on with the Cyst and surprised to find out that the ABS light did not come on or the Check Advance Trak message on his way home . Pretty surprised.
                      I got 3 more of the lines delivered on the 12th and again had to make a online report that I was still missing two lines from my order and just pursued a refund for the 2 missing lines because its been down over 2 weeks already and I have to fabricate new lines anyhow Looks like I'll be busy fabricating most of the new lines on this over the weekend.

Comment

• tech25
                        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Witsend
                        Well I thought getting the half dozen Motorcraft preformed brake tubes from Rock Auto for this 2004 Expedition seemed to be a great idea initially at the time because the 2 lines from the master had braided stainless steel sections but only received one of the 6 ordered tubes September 1st and had to do an on line report saying the other 5 lines were missing from the box.
                        Customer took his vehicle back to his home with a good brake pedal with only functioning front brakes with the original ABS TCS module unplugged and blown brake rear brake lines bypassed at the HCU. The harness connector was plugged into the used salvage yard ABS module assembly I did the programmable module installation on with the Cyst and surprised to find out that the ABS light did not come on or the Check Advance Trak message on his way home . Pretty surprised.
                        I got 3 more of the lines delivered on the 12th and again had to make a online report that I was still missing two lines from my order and just pursued a refund for the 2 missing lines because its been down over 2 weeks already and I have to fabricate new lines anyhow Looks like I'll be busy fabricating most of the new lines on this over the weekend.
                        that vehicle sounds like a mess...can only imagine if he took it to another shop and played dumb saying my brakes feel funny and not mentioning any of the work that has been done.

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

that vehicle sounds like a mess...can only imagine if he took it to another shop and played dumb saying my brakes feel funny and not mentioning any of the work that has been done.
                          LOL, Kinda wish he did bring it to another shop. When I went to actually install the correct used HCU assembly he got one of the old tube nuts was seized and snapped off so I couldn't install the assembly, I could not even unscrew all 3 of the E5 headed screws to transfer to swap ECU to the original HCU. I did manage to remove the T25 torx screws and tested the ABS Pump motors and the original tested bad and I was able to swap the pump motors and lucked out. I re-plumbed most of the brake tubes and mirrored the shape off the original ones using lots of Harbor freight zip ties to hold the new tubing to the old lines until the sections were mimicked exactly to the old ones and they fit into all the existing body clips neatly.Pretty tedious work. I was going to do the rear half of the right rear one that goes across a frame cross member above the fuel tank, but the tank was nearly full and from what I could feel by touch above and could see coming out behind it didn't seem to be in that bad a condition and it will just have to wait till it needs the fuel pump changed to justify dropping the fuel tank in order to change that section of brake line. I let my Maxi Sys battery run flat , so I did the automated ABS brake bleed with my SnapOn MT 2500. It gave instructions when to apply and release the brake pedal and turned on the pump but gave no instruction about opening any particular bleeder bolt and proceeding to another during the procedure. Who wants to refer to a service manual ? After that I bled the brakes again in a conventional manner.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• bestdamgarage
                            • Apr 2016

wit you still use the old school brake line get some nicop easy bend you never look back

Comment

Working...